New TV for ps4. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Manatleisure, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Manatleisure

Manatleisure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi all

Need some advice please.
    I currently have a Panasonic 42PX80 plasma (HD ready 1024x768) tv and play Xbox 360 on it, watch Sky SD sports channels through Sky+ via scart, and terrestial TV UK channels in HD through a freeview HD box. So getting the best of everything in a way. The TV is great for SD, HD of course looks that bit sharper, and games play great with little lag and screen looks good with no issues whether in a well lit room or with the lights down. The TV is unusual in that though it is HD ready when I plug in my xbox 360 through HDMI and switch on a '1080p' shows up briefly on screen showing the output. Apparently it also can play blu ray at full 1080p through HDMI. Dont know enough about technology to understand how a 1024x768 tv is capable of doing this.

My question is it it worth upgrading from a HD ready TV that can do 1080p somehow, to a full 1080p tv for a ps4. Will i notice a difference? I never sit up close to a TV, I sit about 9 feet away from TV.
    Bit nervous about the current TVs reading about things like DSE, banding, flickering and such like. My current TV has never had this problem. And as I watch sky SD channels im worried they will be crap on full HD TVs. As I said before, the PX80 is still going strong with all sources so its just whether an extra expense is needed for ps4 in particular and my tv viewing.

2. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    I had a HD ready Tv a few years back It too displayed 1080p material but I always assumed it was automatically doing so at a lower resolution while showing the resolution of the feed.

It depends on just how much importance you place on image quality. I would expect an improvement on a good quality full hd set. But from 9ft it might not make that much difference to you.

The best thing to do would be to phone around a few dealers and try to arrange a demo. In my opinion it is worth upgrading to full hd. It will enable getting the most out of your PS4 and blu ray movies.

There is a risk that the issues you mention might make the overall experience worse than what you are already satisfied with on your current TV. Spending some time on a demo is the best thing to do before making your decision.

Good luck.

3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    You will notice more than a res increase, arguably you will mainly see an improvement in contrast with a brighter and deeper image.

I went from a 42" PX80 to a 42" V20, then 46" GT60 and now a 51" D6900 which is miles ahead of my PX80 in PQ, the picture is brighter, cleaner and richer with a less noticeable increase in detail in top.
    The higher res is the icing rather than the cake.;)

4. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    Is that a typo Scoob? The GT60 doesn't come in 46" does it?

I was wondering how the D6900 compared to the GT?

5. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Yes doh! It was a GT30 sorry about that:facepalm:
    I loved my GT30, sadly it developed the green blobs so I got a refund.
    The D6900 lacks the black level and has a brighter slightly less rich image, it only cost me 600 quid though(GT30 was 1200) and its improved with age so Im happy.

Compared to a GT60 the D6900 is a couple of leagues lower, ironically for me my set has more of an LCD feel too it in comparison so seems brighter but lacking a little in depth. The GT60 walks all over it in terms of accuracy and black level, hence wanting to upgrade last year, sadly I couldn't afford to in the end.

I must say though Id still not swap my D6900 for any LCD still, its uniformity is bang on and its more than bright enough.
    Calibrated it would likely compete well with most LCDs still accuracy wise too without there flaws.

6. Manatleisure

Manatleisure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    sounds good Scooby, but remember Im watching sky sports, Dave, Gold, etc on SD via sky+ box through scart so it may not be as clear cut as that in respect of clarity.

7. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Well get with the times man! :rolleyes::p
    Bluray will blow you away, I remember watching Avatar for the first time on my V20:eek: My jaw dropped to the flaw it was so good.

8. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    I've been using my GT60 on low contrast for the first 60 hours of its life. I turned the contrast and brightness up last night and what a difference it made. It really improved the image quality. I was blown away by how good the Avatar Bluray looked.

It's like a different set with higher contrast. I have to say it's the best picture I've seen on a TV, really had the wow factor.

9. Manatleisure

Manatleisure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    What was sd like through scart on a 42v20. Maybe i should upgrade to that instead. Lol

10. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Crap lol the V20 had god awful DFC with SD sadly. The GT30 was much better an later sets have improved further.