New tv for pc gaming help

SnakePlissken006

Hi I'm needing help on what new tv to get for pc gaming. I'm currently using a 2020 sony x900h. I've been experiencing a lot of problems with this TV losing randomly shutting down and screen flickering on pc using hdmi 2.1. I'm also using a sony str-dn1080 receiver using hdmi 2.1 earc and having audio issues on pc such as the audio crackling. The only way to fix this is by switching hdmi from enhanced to normal then back again after starting pc. This fixes screen cutting off but audio always goes bad after a while with very bad rattling. Also very bad colour banding. I was going to go for the Samsung qn94a as I've heard it's good for pc gaming. The only problem is it only has one hdmi 2.1 port for some reason and that's the earc port which I'll be using my receiver on for audio. This means I'll be using standard hdmi for pc. Will I be losing out on anything with this? I know you need hdmi 2.1 for 4k120 but I only game at 4k60. I'm not interested in 120fps at all ad 60fps is fine. Will I lose out on any other benefits? Also will the Samsung have better dithering? Also is earc better on Samsung as x900h its basically broken. Another option is the LG b1 oled.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Where did you get the info that the eARC port is HDMI 2.1? From what I've seen its port for which is HDMI 2.1.

Either way, it won't affect you gaming using HDMI 2.0 protocol. For 4k 60 gaming you'd just keep your PC connected to the AVR, and the AVR connected to the TV.

You can see in my guide here that the Samsung is an enthusiast grade TV compared to the LG B1. Really you want to compare the C1 or even the more expensive G1 to the Samsung QN94A:

If you wanted to be more future proof, you could go for the QN95A with 4x HDMI 2.1.

SnakePlissken006

Cool thanks for reply. I'm going to go for the qn94a. Yes the hdmi 2.1 port is the earc port which I'll be using for my receiver that's what I meant, which means there's only 3 hdmi 2.0 ports left to use for my pc. I just hope earc works and doesn't have audio cutting out like the x900h. Also dithering is very important to me as the x900h literally had none. Colour banding on lots of stuff like tv apps but extremely bad on pc. Some games have horrible colour banding.

Dodgexander

With the built-in apps a lot is to do with the source graphics being low bit depth, also it doesn't help that Android UI runs natively at 1080p and not 4k. Not sure if that's the same on the X95J and Google TV.

There's a smooth degradation option on Sony TVs to help reduce banding, I expect it only works with video content though. I think Sony are the best currently in that respect. LG now also have as setting. Samsung rely on noise reduction, but every setting comes at the cost of reduced detail overall.

The native performance when it comes to colour banding is good though, so I certainly wouldn't expect it to be worse than your current TV.

With a PC source you may have better results making sure you match the source bit depth to your output. If you are playing back 8bit content and feeding the TV 10bit then the PC will be applying dithering and not the TV. With a dedicated video renderer like MadVR a PC will actually do a better job, but in all other cases its best using the picture processor.

On the topic of picture processors, the Sony XH90 does not have its own chip. All processing is handled by a shared chip, so any TV like the QN94A with a dedicated picture processor will be an improvement with the finer details.

SnakePlissken006

Yeah the x900h has no dithering options at all. Here's an example of dead space 2 colour banding on the TV. Tried changing nvidia settings to 8 bit and changed all colour options but all loomed the same.

Attachments

• 20220329_210704.jpg
    20220329_210704.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220329_210211.jpg
    20220329_210211.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 16

Dodgexander

I don't think that's just colour banding, but also poorer near to black handling resulting in more posterization. It's something we have gotten used too more since TVs have adopted HDMI 2.1 chipsets.

Luckily TVs with dedicated picture processors can help harness it more.

If you view the same reviewer with your TV, you'll see the shortfalls included when a TV is missing a dedicated picture processor, notably the graduation not being as smooth:

Sony TVs with one have 'smooth gradiation control' setting. If you explicitly want the smoothest steps then Sony still have the edge. QN94A is really just a much better TV all round than the X95J so it's really not worth going for that instead just for one feature IMO. If you can wait, see how the new X95K matches up, but plan to buy that around black friday, maybe later if you want similar value to buying a 2021 model now.

SnakePlissken006

Ok I had no idea hdmi 2.1 caused this. Maybe some sony models have smooth gradiation control but rhe x900h definitely doesn't. I think I'll go for the Samsung qn94a then. Maybe the micro leds will help with the banding problems I've been getting. I've heard that tv has earc problems though like audio cutting out.

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom