Question New TV for mainly SD?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by yoghurt, Feb 7, 2018.

1. yoghurt

yoghurt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi

Currently have a 42' Panasonic plasma 1080p, viewing distance about 7 feet and view mainly Terrestrial tv, YouView and some Bbc Hd (Netflix Hd soon)
    Looking for upto a 50' screen size and am concerned that getting a new Tv for mainly SD feed will be a step backwards or I have I misunderstood please ? If the latter which Tv would be good bearing this requirement? Budget upto 700.

Also, saw this on Hotukdeals, is it any good please ? Hisense H49N5500 49" 4K HDR Smart Tv £349.00 Currys with code - HotUKDeals

Many thanks

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,037
    No you haven't misunderstood, generally people think SD TV looks worse on UHD models, especially so on a larger screen.

What's wrong with your current TV? I would probably keep it. I moved from a 42 Panny ST60 plasma to a 65DX902 Panny LCD and the old TV is so, so much better for normal TV, even HD.

The new Panasonic only trumps it with UHD and HDR and you can't get good HDR at lower sizes/prices.

3. Bafan123

Bafan123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    you probably cant get enough of those "best TV for SD" questions ☺ anyway, I agree, I would so keep the 42 plasma. 0 need to change.

4. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    If you are only watching SD - definitely don't change - bigger just means more pixely/blurry and also you might hate LCD compared to the plasma.

5. yoghurt

yoghurt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Glad I asked! Thank you for your replies.

6. yoghurt

yoghurt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Turns out my current Plasma is 720p, not 1080p. I have upgradeitus too.
    Went to John Lewis today and looked at the Sony XE900 and Panasonic EX700 and 750 (49/50').

Also glanced at the Samsungs but was not too impressed with the motion on live TV. I wanted to see a Philips Ambligiht in action but struggling to find anywhere that demos them (mainly to see if the Ambilight is a gimmick or effective)

I could see the difference (watching live BBC HD) between the Panasonic 700 and 750 the latter definitely better (although I have got JL to pricematch the EX700 to £439). Compared the 750 to the Sony and (to my eyes) looked similar. Then played some demo HD files and both TV's looked good although I did not get a OMG moment compared to the OLED's close by (which I have to ignore due to the minimum size of 55').

I appreciate I need to get the TV in my home environment to better a more informed decision but struggling between the 2-I can always return it I guess!

I also came across the Ambilight equivalent kits which may be worth researching more.

Its a minefield this TV malarkey

7. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Yep, certainly is, and yes even 720P HD broadcast content can look poor on a 4K TV.

It's all about usage and content at the end of the day, with 4K content still very thing on the ground with Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube being the main sources.

OLED is the way to go if you can afford it, equal to Plasma, but the XE90 is a good second option, or you could wait and see how the 2018 models stack up, but I think the differences will be minimal at best and not worth the extra money.

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,037
    It doesn't really matter that your current TV is 720p. If you are still watching SD material its not going to be an upgrade switching to a new UHD model. Of course a new Tv with new content will be but in my experience the old content looks a lot better on old TVs. I recently purchased my Dad an old 720p Panasonic plasma for £50 on the classifieds here. Its roughly 10 years old and my god does it look good with normal SD TV compared to UHD models. It even looks better than my 2013 FHD Plasma with that material. I was more shocked by how good it looked on those TVs than I was when I watched HDR for the first time on my current LCD!

General rule, upgrade if you are someone who wants the latest and greatest to look good, when your viewing is based more around modern sources like Amazon/Netflix/Blu-Rays and UHD Blu-Rays. You'll be gobsmacked at how much better they look I am sure.

Don't upgrade if you think these new TVs are going to make everything look good, they won't. Two steps forward, one back. Things that are more compressed, most notably SD catch up TV and broadcast TV look awful. HD catch up TV and broadcast TV looks okay, but not as sharp as it does on FHD models.

The funny thing is 99% of catch up TV available now on these UHD models looks awful. iPlayer has the best quality streams in 720p and they still look terrible compared to on an old TV. Watching coronation street on the ITV player is akin to watching a VHS tape.

I wish the LG A7 OLED was available from the major retailers in the UK. As it stands its only in stock at ebuyer.com with a one year warranty compared to the 5 some retailers offer for free. Since its £1000 new and a warranty per year probably will cost you £80 it brings it close to the price of the UHD OLEDs new when they come with a free warranty for the same duration.

However, for someone who watches a lot of SD, a TV like the FHD A7 will offer a lot more quality than any the TVs you have been viewing, even if it is only FHD vs UHD and I wouldn't blame someone for buying that model even if they paid for their own 5 year warranty on top, if only because their viewing is predominantly older content.

Remember more resolution doesn't always mean more quality. It may seem that way and its what the manufacturers want you to believe, but its not.

Should I upgrade? - UHD vs FHD

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  9. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  10. yoghurt

yoghurt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thank you, the LG A7 OLED sounds great but just too big for the available gap

11. yoghurt

yoghurt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Went to John Lewis and after viewing for a while and chatting to a genuinely helpful assistant I purchased the Sony 49' XE09. I had a strong coffee with the Missus first (the WAF important here !) and also came across Hughes selling for £60 cheaper so got JL to price match to £909. Now have to wait until 1/3/18 to get it delivered but have the following day off as it's my birthday!
    Thanks for all your advice, I will let you know how I get on