New TV for loft conversion

GeorgeL78

Hi all, we are in the final stages of our loft conversion which is a large bedroom space. At the garden end of the room we have a large space we will be using as a lounge area. The plan is to mount a TV to one wall and have a sofa near to the opposite wall. I have already wired speaker cables behind walls/in ceiling ready for my 5.1.2 set up to go in and we were going to use our current TV (a Sony KD-55XE8396) for the time being and replace it with something much better once funds allowed. It has become clear that the room is bigger than we envisaged and the distance between sofa and wall will be almost 12ft. Although I'd love a 75/77" (which would fit nicely in the planned area) from an aesthetics point of view my wife has agreed 65" is the biggest we could go to. As I also have an Xbox Series X and PS5 I had settled on an LG C1as being ideal. However, and here's where I'd like some advice/hear from the experience of others, there is a large window/doors right next to where the TV will be situated. As the garden is south facing I'm worried that the room will be bright even with curtains and this may impact the enjoyment? The other TV I'm perhaps leaning towards if an OLED is unsuitable would be the Samsung QN95A which I can get a decent discount on through EPP but am concerned with losing Dolby Vision as I have quite a large 4K collection on disk. Thoughts please?

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Its hard to say with the brightness. I'd give your current TV a go in the room first. If you find it gets bright enough then likely an OLED will too.

Brightness has only become a hot-topic with TVs because of HDR, TVs were not made bright to cope with brighter rooms...that just happens to be something that brighter TVs also cope better with :)

Have you considered instead saving some money and looking at 2020 models instead? You could get the 75" Sony XH9505 for less than 2k. 2021 models are expensive having just been released.

GeorgeL78

Get a 75 or 77 you will buy a 65 and in a few weeks you will wish you went bigger I have a77 inch a80j and I love it
I'd love to but not sure I'd get it past my wife! I did use the AR "see it in your room" thing on Amazon to visualise and a 77 does fill the space nicely but I know my wife will think it's too big...

GeorgeL78

Its hard to say with the brightness. I'd give your current TV a go in the room first. If you find it gets bright enough then likely an OLED will too.

Brightness has only become a hot-topic with TVs because of HDR, TVs were not made bright to cope with brighter rooms...that just happens to be something that brighter TVs also cope better with :)

Have you considered instead saving some money and looking at 2020 models instead? You could get the 75" Sony XH9505 for less than 2k. 2021 models are expensive having just been released.
Thanks for the reply. I will likely leave the space empty until I buy a new TV and keep the current one in the downstairs living room. I already know that one's fine with bright light as it already sits near a large floor to ceiling window. However it does reflect indoor lighting worse than sunlight which does become annoying.
The current TV doesn't do HDR very well at all in all honesty and due to poor customer service I've recently received from Sony recently I wouldn't buy another despite having owned at least 8 of their TV's in the past. Other 2020 models are difficult to get (LG CX65 for example) and as I have both next gen (current gen?) consoles I'd prefer something that supports all features out of the box rather than rely on upcoming updates as promised by Sony....

Dodgexander

Thanks for the reply. I will likely leave the space empty until I buy a new TV and keep the current one in the downstairs living room. I already know that one's fine with bright light as it already sits near a large floor to ceiling window. However it does reflect indoor lighting worse than sunlight which does become annoying.
The current TV doesn't do HDR very well at all in all honesty and due to poor customer service I've recently received from Sony recently I wouldn't buy another despite having owned at least 8 of their TV's in the past. Other 2020 models are difficult to get (LG CX65 for example) and as I have both next gen (current gen?) consoles I'd prefer something that supports all features out of the box rather than rely on upcoming updates as promised by Sony....
That's unfortunately the nature of this time of year, good value 2020 models are selling out, whilst the 2021 models that replace them are too expensive. Hard to recommend any newly released model right now due to the price hike.

If you want to avoid Sony then there's still some availability on Samsung LCD TVs, for example:

Samsung 2020 models have 2x HDMI 2.1 ports, although if you aren't a gamer its unlikely you'll ever find a need for anything more than HDMI 2.0 in the future.

If you have your eyes set on an OLED, there are OLEDs made by other manufacturers other than LG. All recommended models here:

If I remember right, the guide is about the 4th edition now, I won't be releasing a newer one until the prices of new TVs come down, each year that's usually not until Black Friday or later.

Nilanth

I'd second going for a 75. I upgraded from a 55 to a 75 recently. Initially I thought it was too big for the room. Took all of a few hours to get used to the size and now I want to actually want to uograde to 85" next year.

The Mrs has the same reaction when she first saw it, but after watching a movie she loved it.

GeorgeL78

That's unfortunately the nature of this time of year, good value 2020 models are selling out, whilst the 2021 models that replace them are too expensive. Hard to recommend any newly released model right now due to the price hike.

If you want to avoid Sony then there's still some availability on Samsung LCD TVs, for example:

Samsung 2020 models have 2x HDMI 2.1 ports, although if you aren't a gamer its unlikely you'll ever find a need for anything more than HDMI 2.0 in the future.

If you have your eyes set on an OLED, there are OLEDs made by other manufacturers other than LG. All recommended models here:

If I remember right, the guide is about the 4th edition now, I won't be releasing a newer one until the prices of new TVs come down, each year that's usually not until Black Friday or later.
Thanks again - some good points and at this stage I'm thinking that by the time we are ready to finish the loft it will only be a short wait until Black Friday and hopefully get a deal on a current OLED. As I am a gamer (been gaming since the late 80's!) I would prefer something with at least 2 HDMI 2.1 ports. As I can get Samsung EPP discount through work perks a 2021 model works out pretty good value my only concern is lack of Dolby Vision as I have plenty of discs and movies on iTunes that I would like to benefit from. If Samsung supported Dolby Vision it would make me lean towards the QN95a.
I'll post some pics of the loft so you can see where the TV would go in relation to the window, hopefully someone has a similar experience with an OLED and window in similar proximity for a view on this. I'm also eyeing up the Philips 806 and Panasonic JZ1000 but waiting to see some reviews first before comparing with the LG C1.

GeorgeL78

I'd second going for a 75. I upgraded from a 55 to a 75 recently. Initially I thought it was too big for the room. Took all of a few hours to get used to the size and now I want to actually want to uograde to 85" next year.

The Mrs has the same reaction when she first saw it, but after watching a movie she loved it.
Thanks! I think she could be persuaded... it's the distance from sofa to wall that really makes me think 75 or 77 will make more sense than moving from 55 to 65.

GeorgeL78

Looks like 75/77 is a no go! My wife just reminded me that she originally wanted Monitor Audio MASS Gen 2's and I went for Q Acoustics 3010i's.... she says no chance we're putting a 77" on what is technically a bedroom wall! Good news is we are doing a rear extension early next year and she's happy for a bigger TV down there.....

Dodgexander

Reflection handling on OLEDs is very good, don't see any issue at all with it being near a window unless there will be sun blasting on the TV when you're using it. An OLED has a superior anti glare filter to your current TV and can get twice as bright.

Dolby Vision - Its just a box to tick, you don't need it. Far more important to look at how good a TV is at displaying HDR to begin with. For example, the new QN90A or QN95A are in an entire different class to any 2020 models, so they will, despite not having Dolby Vision display HDR in general a lot better than the rest of the LCD TVs you can buy.

Compare like for like though, for example the Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q90T/Q95T and maybe the Sony has a small edge because it can support Dolby Vision.

GeorgeL78

Reflection handling on OLEDs is very good, don't see any issue at all with it being near a window unless there will be sun blasting on the TV when you're using it. An OLED has a superior anti glare filter to your current TV and can get twice as bright.

Dolby Vision - Its just a box to tick, you don't need it. Far more important to look at how good a TV is at displaying HDR to begin with. For example, the new QN90A or QN95A are in an entire different class to any 2020 models, so they will, despite not having Dolby Vision display HDR in general a lot better than the rest of the LCD TVs you can buy.

Compare like for like though, for example the Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q90T/Q95T and maybe the Sony has a small edge because it can support Dolby Vision.
Brilliant - thank you! I will try and get a decent demo of both the LG C1 and Samsung QN90/QN95. I've always leaned towards Sony since buying a 14" with a SCART socket so I could run my SNES in RGB back in 1992 ish but my current one has been flakey at best and I had awful customer service on a Soundbar that went faulty after 2 months (both Sony and Currys were atrocious to deal with but Currys did refund it in the end). Otherwise I would have gone with Sony again - their motion control is brilliant and I find their picture quality tends to seem more natural/lifelike vs Samsung.
I'm glad you said that re Dolby Vision as I really was set on it but can't imagine I'd see much difference from any other good HDR source from some of the things I've read. I think a good demo will be the way to go and perhaps waiting on Black Friday sales! @Dodgexander thanks so much for your insight!

GeorgeL78

I was pretty convinced that I would be going for a 65" LG C1 at around £1800 based on current offers. However, having checked work perks again plus cash back and other offers the 65" Samsung QN95a is coming in massively cheaper....question I have now is Dolby Vision and the benefits of OLED worth a very significant saving I'd make buying the Samsung?
I have a few Dolby Vision movies in iTunes and on 4K Blu Ray if that makes a difference?

Dodgexander

I was pretty convinced that I would be going for a 65" LG C1 at around £1800 based on current offers. However, having checked work perks again plus cash back and other offers the 65" Samsung QN95a is coming in massively cheaper....question I have now is Dolby Vision and the benefits of OLED worth a very significant saving I'd make buying the Samsung?
I have a few Dolby Vision movies in iTunes and on 4K Blu Ray if that makes a difference?
As you go up in size OLEDs become worse value compared to LCD TVs. Is there a reason you're only considering 2021 models though? If you went for a 2020 model you could find one at a discount this time of year.

As for differences in picture quality - of course there's a difference between OLED and LCD, some people prefer one over the other.

Dolby Vision - not a big deal, more important is how the TV can display HDR at all, if Dolby Vision isn't supported it just uses HDR10. The quality loss of watching a stream, rather than a disc will be greater.

GeorgeL78

As you go up in size OLEDs become worse value compared to LCD TVs. Is there a reason you're only considering 2021 models though? If you went for a 2020 model you could find one at a discount this time of year.

As for differences in picture quality - of course there's a difference between OLED and LCD, some people prefer one over the other.

Dolby Vision - not a big deal, more important is how the TV can display HDR at all, if Dolby Vision isn't supported it just uses HDR10. The quality loss of watching a stream, rather than a disc will be greater.
Thanks again. The reason I'm looking at 2021 models is availablity. I would've snatched up an LG CX but the 65's are no longer available and where they have been the price is at the same level as the C1. The Samsung QN95a on current employee deal is also cheaper than the previous year equivalent. Other models at the moment are lacking in HDMI 2.1 ports and I'm a roughly 60/40 gaming/film split with both next generation consoles. I'm just wondering if I'll feel any regret missing out on Dolby Vision...I think this will bug me more than the OLED vs "Neo QLED" (LCD) differences - although I have no rational reason why!!!

GeorgeL78

You can get a Sony with Dolby Vision instead like the XH9505?
I’ve recently had shocking customer service from Sony after 30 years of buying their products. Apart from PlayStation I won’t be buying another Sony product again :(

GeorgeL78

You can also get OLEDs with both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ in Philips and Panasonic. Last I checked the Philips OLED705 was still selling (2020 model) so should be at a discount.
I’ve been looking at the current range but seen a few issues in the Philips sub forum. The lack of hdmi 2.1 puts me off their older ones

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom