New tv for gaming and movies

minority

Hi

Well 2 month ago my ceiling fell on my TV while my house flooded from a broken water tank and looking for a replacement as insurance option will no doubt be poor.

I have an xbox series x and looking for a decent TV to play on while also good movies and on demand services.

We have currently narrowed it down to

LG OLED65C14LB at around £1500 at costco I think it is.​

Or

QE75QN94AATXXU which with nhs discount is around £1800 from Samsung.

I know oled is better but I hear a fair few horror stories with LG customer service and also with issues with the oled panel which has put me off slightly while my dealing with Samsung have always been top notch.

I am wondering if the extra screen size would be great for gaming and movies and justify the slightly less impressive screen quality.

Dodgexander

Oh dear! sorry to hear of your accident.
I'd say its definitely worth looking at the Samsung instead, the size upgrade is worth it even if overall it does mean going down in picture quality.

Some people have a preference both ways between OLED and LCD though, so its really a personal decision.

I think LG/Samsung both have their fair share of horror stories, with OLED Burn In Risk it depends entirely on your usage, most people won't have a problem..but if you play a lot of content with static images or tickers on the TV you may be at risk.

To use a couple of examples with games. A game like FIFA would be high risk due to bright, colourful menu's and graphics. Playing this game religiously may mean the TV may only last 5 or so years before you get burn in.

By comparison, playing a game like call of duty, typically with white huds and not many bright elements will probably outlive the time you own the TV.

minority

Hi

Thank for the reply.

Burn in is my fear with two kids that just leave it on and the wife who will fall asleep and leave it on netflix or similar on demand service my fear is it get damaged.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I would note that buying the TV direct from Samsung possibly only gets you a 1-year warranty.

Costco will give you 5 years on the LG OLED or any other TV you buy from them.

Ennis

Standard Member
Hi

Well 2 month ago my ceiling fell on my TV while my house flooded from a broken water tank and looking for a replacement as insurance option will no doubt be poor.

I have an xbox series x and looking for a decent TV to play on while also good movies and on demand services.

We have currently narrowed it down to

LG OLED65C14LB at around £1500 at costco I think it is.​

Or

QE75QN94AATXXU which with nhs discount is around £1800 from Samsung.

I know oled is better but I hear a fair few horror stories with LG customer service and also with issues with the oled panel which has put me off slightly while my dealing with Samsung have always been top notch.

I am wondering if the extra screen size would be great for gaming and movies and justify the slightly less impressive screen quality.

I know it's a different question, but if you're looking at the 65 inch LG the equivalent Samsung should land at £1,274 with employee discount.. just getting it in stock could be the challenge.

Dodgexander

Leaving it on isn't necessarily an issue because a screen saver will kick in.
What would be dangerous is bumping the remote often brining it out of screen saver and stuck on the Netflix menu for long periods of time.

If your kids are going to spend a lot of time in the menus deliberating on what to watch its going to be a lot more dangerous than the TV kicking in to screensaver mode or continuously playing content.

Other thing to think about is external sources, you should check each of those has a screensaver if used.

minority

I know it's a different question, but if you're looking at the 65 inch LG the equivalent Samsung should land at £1,274 with employee discount.. just getting it in stock could be the challenge.
Yeah we were looking at nq95 at 65in but it's out of stock.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom