New TV for bright spaces? Thanks!

ARBONKAS

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am looking for a TV that would be used in a conservatory and outdoors. I was looking at OLEDs but it seems that QLEDs may be best for brighter spaces?
Size needs to be 46-48" due to the outdoor storage and I find that there aren't really QLEDs of that size...?
Should I just get a 48" OLED (or even different screen type?) or compromise on size and look to get a 50" QLED?
Budget's up to £600, specific recommendations appreciated. Thank you!

QLED is just an LED TV with no real benefit over an equivalenty priced Sony LED TV.

It was pure marketing on Samsungs behalf in order to combat LG's new OLED technology which was, at the time, revolutionary.

If it's a very bright space you would be probably better off with an LED TV, however, anything smaller than 55" in LED's tends to have a compromised spec regarding the panel over a 55" and above, whereas an LG C1 in 48" is the same spec as a 55", 77" etc.

QLED is just an LED TV with no real benefit over an equivalenty priced Sony LED TV.

It was pure marketing on Samsungs behalf in order to combat LG's new OLED technology which was, at the time, revolutionary.

If it's a very bright space you would be probably better off with an LED TV, however, anything smaller than 55" in LED's tends to have a compromised spec regarding the panel over a 55" and above, whereas an LG C1 in 48" is the same spec as a 55", 77" etc.

So, I get that if I buy a <55" LED, it doesn't really matter which one? Are Sony the best brand to go for?

Your budget is pretty low if you're wanting a bright TV. The bright models for HDR at least are models like the Samsung QN94A or Sony X95J. Maybe the TCL C825 will be okay for you.

You'll always be fighting a losing battle with the sun though.

If you have a plan to avoid HDR material on the TV, or you won't use any content that includes HDR (hard nowadays) then any TV will probably be fine. Some of the mid range Sony's and Samsung's reach about 500 nit like the Samsung Q70A or Sony X85J/X89J.

Your budget is pretty low if you're wanting a bright TV. The bright models for HDR at least are models like the Samsung QN94A or Sony X95J. Maybe the TCL C825 will be okay for you.

You'll always be fighting a losing battle with the sun though.

If you have a plan to avoid HDR material on the TV, or you won't use any content that includes HDR (hard nowadays) then any TV will probably be fine. Some of the mid range Sony's and Samsung's reach about 500 nit like the Samsung Q70A or Sony X85J/X89J.
I can stretch to getting Samsung 50” QN94A, there are decent deals on around £650. Is it worth it over just any LED for £300-400? And is it a better option than an OLED (48" LGs going for under £600)?

I can stretch to getting Samsung 50” QN94A, there are decent deals on around £650. Is it worth it over just any LED for £300-400? And is it a better option than an OLED (48" LGs going for under £600)?
For outdoor and bright room viewing, yes. It has some sort of anti-glare and reaches ~650 nit full field. Peak highlight brightness isn't as high as its bigger siblings though, but it's still plenty bright. Only its successor is a bit brighter (~1000 vs ~800), but it's too expensive at the moment. LG's A1 is very good overall, but has mediocre brightness and is more suited to dark room viewing. 90 and 94 are technically the same get whichever one is cheaper.

I would aim for the 55" QN94A or go for the 55Q80A.
I wouldn't personally bother with the 50" QN94A or QN90A or even the 50QN80A.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom