Question New TV feels uncomfortably big 🙈🙈🙈

oatmealraisinsucks

Novice Member
Reaction score
So, after much agonizing, I finally decided on the TV to buy for my apartment.

I got it all set up and ready... and then, disappointment.

While I'm more than satisfied with image quality, the overall viewing experience is, simply put, very uncomfortable. The best I can describe it is that it's like sitting front row at the movie theater. I feel my eyes moving to track different parts of the screen, unable to really capture the image as a whole. It's frustrating, especially during faster scenes.

Now there are two possibilities here. I either A.) am a total idiot and got a TV that's too big for the space, or B.) simply need to get used to it.

A.) Admittedly the TV seems a bit big for the space. It's a 50" with about 1.8m (6 ft) viewing distance. Given, my research I thought that was just above the minimum viewing distance most places recommended for 4k. But clearly I was going for immersive not uncomfortable. Interestingly, moving the couch back just 50cm (1.6ft) is all it takes to make the viewing experience feel normal. Unfortunately, keeping the couch back there permanently is not an option. So... did I simply f* up and buy too big of a TV?

B.) Could it be that 50" at 1.8m is actually quite alright, but the problem is me? Maybe I'm simply not used to it. Until today, most of my TV watching and video gaming was done on 12" and 13.3" laptop screens. I haven't had a TV at home for many years. Will the viewing experience become enjoyable once my eyes "adjust" to this new setup?

I'm really curious what you guys think of this, and if anyone experienced something similar while moving to a much bigger size screen. Frankly, I would love to keep this TV... but if it's simply too big, I have to act quickly and get the return done. Please help!

EDIT: I'm not worried about image quality, there is no issue there. Everything looks great even up close.

Last edited:
Its normal familiarisation, its hard to buy a TV that's too big - most often people start to wish they'd gone larger. Sort out the settings, sit back, and enjoy some 4K content.

Its normal familiarisation

Thanks for the quick response. So 1.8m for 50" is definitely an okay viewing distance? Not like comically/idiotically close or anything?

I just don't like my eyes moving all over to capture the action, will that go away with time?

That’s fairly close I would say to a 50” screen. I sit about 10ft from my 50” and even that feels a tad to close at times.

see how you get on with it. You may get accustomed to it. Especially since you’ve come from 12” monitors, there’s definitely going to be an adjustment period with a tv of that size. But like jwsg said - give it some time and you will be wanting a bigger screen. That bug gets us all lol

I would suggest the problem lies with you having to adjust - 50" is not big!

You're sitting around just under 6 feet away:

but you also say moving your couch back 1.5 feet feels more comfortable? So is it possible to move your couch back some of the way, just not the full 1.5 feet?

If you'd said that you were having to physically move your head to track objects moving laterally then I'd be concerned - you were either sitting far too close, or the screen was too large. But you say you're only moving your eyes, so I think that's okay.

As an example: I'm currently writing this message sitting about 1 foot away from a 24" monitor and the screen pretty much completely fills my field of vision, this also means I have to move my eyes from side to side to follow any objects moving laterally, but not my entire head.

Like many members, I started with a small TV (a 14" portable!) and have subsequently moved up in size whenever the opportunity arose - 14" to 25", then 28" Widescreen, then 40", then 50", then 60" until where I am now at 65" sitting 9 feet away. And every single time I had to adjust to the new size as it just seemed so much bigger than before. But I still only have to use my eyes to track lateral movement of objects!

I'd say keep the TV, that you will adjust over time. See if you can move your couch back even just 25 cm, see if that makes any difference. :)

Last edited:
That's not at all too big for the distance!
You just need to get used to it
And whatever you do, don't watch SD crap on it

I bought my first ' big tv ' a few weeks back , a 55" Sony - at first I thought ' Wow , this is perfect ' - after a few days I was thinking I really would have preferred a 65" or maybe even bigger .
I view our TV from around 6ft and I'm very comfortable with it , hopefully your brain will adjust . 👍

Its never to big !😁

I went from a 40 inch to a 65 my.viewing distance is 9 and half foot at first i was ohhh this massive, now I'm like meh looks small now lol

You'll be amazed how quickly you'll be saying, wonder if I could go bigger!

Derek S-H, wiz, pesser, Skyehammer, dr no, Yojimbo84, and jwsg – thank you for taking the time to help me out!

you also say moving your couch back 1.5 feet feels more comfortable? So is it possible to move your couch back some of the way, just not the full 1.5 feet? [...] I'd say keep the TV, that you will adjust over time. See if you can move your couch back even just 25 cm, see if that makes any difference

Unfortunately moving back even one cm is not possible, as it would block the door directly behind the couch. The viewing distance is pretty much "set in stone" at 1.8m (6 ft).

If you'd said that you were having to physically move your head to track objects moving laterally then I'd be concerned - you were either sitting far too close, or the screen was too large. But you say you're only moving your eyes, so I think that's okay.

As an example: I'm currently writing this message sitting about 1 foot away from a 24" monitor and the screen pretty much completely fills my field of vision, this also means I have to move my eyes from side to side to follow any objects moving laterally, but not my entire head

That's right, I don't have to move my head, but I do find the eye movements distracting and uncomfortable. I guess I'm just used to having the entire 13,3" laptop screen 100% in focus.

If feels uncomfortable to have to look around the image, not being able to capture it as a whole. It's a really hard feeling to explain. Does it go away? Will I stop noticing the eye movement and/or will my eyes start moving less? Will I regain that feeling that I can capture/see the entire screen?

Derek S-H, wiz, pesser, Skyehammer, dr no, Yojimbo84, and jwsg – thank you for taking the time to help me out!

Unfortunately moving back even one cm is not possible, as it would block the door directly behind the couch. The viewing distance is pretty much "set in stone" at 1.8m (6 ft).

That's right, I don't have to move my head, but I do find the eye movements distracting and uncomfortable. I guess I'm just used to having the entire 13,3" laptop screen 100% in focus.

If feels uncomfortable to have to look around the image, not being able to capture it as a whole. It's a really hard feeling to explain. Does it go away? Will I stop noticing the eye movement and/or will my eyes start moving less? Will I regain that feeling that I can capture/see the entire screen?
Had similar feeling when had mine 65 tv after a month or two all gone, actually now want 70 one :)
But one thing I would try to ensure that tv is in such position (height) that you can comfortably sit on couch without straining neck :D And yes if you are close to tv don't watch sdr or low quality videos as just kills eyes.

@oatmealraisinsucks In my bedroom, my eyes are seven feet from the 50" Pioneer and no, that's not too close. In the kitchen, I'm either 7' or 10' 6" (depending on whether I'm in the first or second row of seats) from the 75" Samsung.

Of course going from 12" or 13.3" to 50" would feel weird and overwhelming - you're virtually quadrupling the screen size and it will always take time to adjust.

I think you've trained your eyes and brain to take in information in a compressed or compact way using monitors; you now have to retrain your eyes and brain to take in the same visual information but on a much wider canvas.

This is what the whole cinematic experience is about and is actually, arguably, more natural than just a small screen experience. I mean, imagine you're on a mountain top; would you put your hands either side of your eyes to create a narrow, tunnel-like image, or would you rather take in a widescreen, panoramic view of your surroundings?

I think you've made a good choice with 50" and I also think you will adapt if you give yourself time.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
It’s you. 1.8 from a 50” screen is fine. I sit that from a 55” in my spare bedroom and movies and games are wonderful from that distance. Sometimes I actually wonder if I should have got 65......

Takes some time to adjust is all.

It’s you. 1.8 from a 50” screen is fine. I sit that from a 55” in my spare bedroom and movies and games are wonderful from that distance. Sometimes I actually wonder if I should have got 65......

Takes some time to adjust is all.

I also sit at that distance from a 55” screen and it’s much better than the 43” model that it replaced.

Whilst I don’t sit in the very front row seats at the cinema, I don’t ever sit on the back row either, as I much prefer that ‘immersive’ feeling every time :)

You’ve probably got it too bright. If you have it on out of the box settings it’ll be ramped up to the max.

Not too big at all in my opinion. I sit about 8.5 feet away from my 65" TV and it feels perfectly normal, so 6 feet away from 50" sounds fine. I'm sure you will get used to it. I am already planning to go to 77" for my next TV, still watching at 8.5 feet distance! :D

I sit 9ft from my 110” projector screen, if I could go bigger I would do.

you’ll get used to it.

It is normal to feel like that, I went from a 32" to a 50" like 10 years ago, when I first got it I was like oh my god that thing is massive, after a week I was used to it, now I'm onto a 55" and am 7 feet away and wish I'd got a 65" :(, oh well :laugh:.

I went from a 46" to a 55" and initially I was sure I had made a mistake. On the 46" I could take in the whole picture; on the 55" I was looking around the picture to see what was going on.

After a couple of days my perception adjusted and I could take in the whole picture again.

I went from a 42" to a 51" plasma and never really felt comfortable with it , great quality picture but always felt like being too close at the cinena, it felt like i was moving my eyes around to follow the action on the screen, yet other people loved it, when it broke john lewis offered another tv, i picked a 43" and would not go larger again, but like i said other loved it, lucky i made the choice of the replacement tv lol.

and here I am wishing that a company was coming out with 90 inch hdmi 2.1 tv this year and being able to buy one for $4000 USD by black friday.... then I read a topic like this...

I went from 43" to 55" and immediately upon unboxing thought OMG it's too big but have quickly got used to it and the whole telly watching experience is now so much more immersive without being overwhelming

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom