New TV - Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Jumping Bean, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Will be buying a new TV shortly due to an insurance claim and wondered if it would be better to wait until the sales nearer or after Christmas or buy now before the VAT goes up. Another thing is that Sony are doing their VAT back deal which I think ends on Christmas Eve.

As mentioned this is an insurance deal so I'm limited to the following stores:

Argos
    Comet
    Curries
    Curries.digital
    PC World

Any advice?

Thanks

2. LEGENDGH

LEGENDGH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As no one else has answered i will give you my opinion/advice (which is scientificly unproven/not to be trusted ;:D.

I am waiting until the boxing Day sales (to get a Sony 40 EX503.)

3. flaccidcookie

flaccidcookie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If your planning on a Sony, I'd buy now as they won't be any cheaper after xmas (they surely can't be) as their curently running at a 17.5% discount, so you can pick up a 40EX503 for a mere £640 with a 5 year warranty from M&S or £544 from with a standard warranty from SONY KDL40EX503U

If your budget will stretch you could get the 46EX503 for around £750 with VAT back...

Throw in a Sony BDP-S370 for £99 + VAT back (so £82) from Play if you buy it today and your laughing.

You won't better that after xmas I don't think.

If your not looking at a Sony then maybe you should as they get good reviews and at those prices...

4. LEGENDGH

LEGENDGH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cookie, serious question for you.
    I see you have said Sony TVs are currently 17.5% cheaper but why do you think the EX503 cannot get any cheaper than the current £640. I was hoping the Christmas sales would see more of a drop AND i was sure i had seen it cheaper than this £640 before?

P.S. I can't buy a tv bigger than a 40" (which i will be buying with a 5yr guarantee.)

EDIT; I just went onto the M&S site, a Sony Bluray player (£120ish) is included free with the EX503 but i would rather pay a bit less for the TV (if possible?).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  5. limblee

limblee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I've found that most electrical items are cheaper on the run up to Christmas. With the VAT going up in Jan to 20% I would expect to see the odd offer, but nothing like pre-Christmas offers.

6. LEGENDGH

LEGENDGH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Limblee. I was planning on buying from Boxing Day onwards and before January 1st.

P.S. I honestly thought EVERYTHING got cheaper on Boxing Day? :blush:

7. limblee

limblee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I think its only the crap they couldn't sell during the year, the end of the line stock. Anything actually worthwhile stays at full price. Maybe someone who works in the retail sector will be able to prove me right, or wrong.

8. debug77

debug77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was told today in a Sony Centre, on the "hush hush", that the prices of several TV's are dropping on 26th December. So as far as I know, they are dropping after Christmas. I was in there after a 40HX803, but unfortunately they had run out of the 3D TV packs (glasses, transmitter, player, movies) so I came out empty handed :(

Also, it works out slightly differently to 17.5%, as they mention in their T&C's... http://www.johnlewis.com/jl_assets/pdf/VAT_back_claim_form_DL_Leaflet.pdf - it's actually 14.89%, go figure :)

9. dalbro

dalbro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm pretty sure the BDP-S370 isn't one of the VAT back products listed. It is a worthy purchase though.

10. langya168

langya168
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SONY KDL40EX503U thanks for this link, it sale on there just 543 pound comparing JL 699pound is really bargin.but is this company get reputation good enought? sorry for my unknow.I will say it is better to get it from John lewis as its free 5 years warranty is the best one warranty on my opinion, anyone agree with me ?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010