New TV / AVR issue

Torinate

Novice Member
Hi there.

Apologize if this is in the wrong place... Please move if need to...

Here's my new issue. I have a new - 4 month old Sony KD75X85J TV that I paired with my previous Onkyo TX-nr 709 receiver. When I first got the new TV, everything paired up perfectly. No issues what so ever. Last week an update for the new TV came out and I updated the firmware.

Since then, when I turn everything on, I get a white (all spectrum colours I guess) pixelated screen at least half the time. Sometimes it starts up as normal but there's no rhyme or reason as to when or what will happen. Just occurs on start up.

I've had Sony tech connect in and the settings are fine. I've never experienced this with previous TVs or this TV until the firmware update.

So i'm at a standstill and don't know what to do. The "workaround" is when I turn on the system if I get the white screen, I turn everything off and the start again. I do this until I actually get a picture. It may happen the next time I turn everything on or it may happen after 2 or 3 tries.

I've tried different HDMI inputs in the TV with no luck. I've tried different pass-through options with no luck. Tried different cable no luck.

I do see when I turn it on that the notification for the current HDMI input on the TV will pop up a few different times.

I am using a Harmony remote to power everything. I've tried it with the TV and receiver remotes and same issue. I've tried delaying start up of either the TV or the receiver as well but that hasn't made any different. I've turned either the TV on or the receiver on then waited 5-10 seconds to turn the other on without any success.

Kind of at wits end on what to do. Sony says previous firmware cannot be reinstalled. This issue completely started with the firmware update. The way it is, it's just not going to work for my family. They're not going to keep turning off and then on etc... I don't understand how it was perfect before the update and now it's not.

The issue appears to be the communication between the receiver and the TV. Is there any other way to hook things up if I want sound from my receiver and audio system? I am using a Cogeco TiVo box.

Everything goes through the receiver and then the receiver to the TV. The receiver has the inputs and ability to switch them depending on what I want to do. But the signal is obviously now not getting to the TV properly or the TV cannot manage it. I will say, even with the white screen the sound is perfect and there is no issue with that part. Only the video...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

razy60

Hi there.

Apologize if this is in the wrong place... Please move if need to...

Here's my new issue. I have a new - 4 month old Sony KD75X85J TV that I paired with my previous Onkyo TX-nr 709 receiver. When I first got the new TV, everything paired up perfectly. No issues what so ever. Last week an update for the new TV came out and I updated the firmware.

Since then, when I turn everything on, I get a white (all spectrum colours I guess) pixelated screen at least half the time. Sometimes it starts up as normal but there's no rhyme or reason as to when or what will happen. Just occurs on start up.

I've had Sony tech connect in and the settings are fine. I've never experienced this with previous TVs or this TV until the firmware update.

So i'm at a standstill and don't know what to do. The "workaround" is when I turn on the system if I get the white screen, I turn everything off and the start again. I do this until I actually get a picture. It may happen the next time I turn everything on or it may happen after 2 or 3 tries.

I've tried different HDMI inputs in the TV with no luck. I've tried different pass-through options with no luck. Tried different cable no luck.

I do see when I turn it on that the notification for the current HDMI input on the TV will pop up a few different times.

I am using a Harmony remote to power everything. I've tried it with the TV and receiver remotes and same issue. I've tried delaying start up of either the TV or the receiver as well but that hasn't made any different. I've turned either the TV on or the receiver on then waited 5-10 seconds to turn the other on without any success.

Kind of at wits end on what to do. Sony says previous firmware cannot be reinstalled. This issue completely started with the firmware update. The way it is, it's just not going to work for my family. They're not going to keep turning off and then on etc... I don't understand how it was perfect before the update and now it's not.

The issue appears to be the communication between the receiver and the TV. Is there any other way to hook things up if I want sound from my receiver and audio system? I am using a Cogeco TiVo box.

Everything goes through the receiver and then the receiver to the TV. The receiver has the inputs and ability to switch them depending on what I want to do. But the signal is obviously now not getting to the TV properly or the TV cannot manage it. I will say, even with the white screen the sound is perfect and there is no issue with that part. Only the video...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Only 2 things I can think of,
1, use an optical cable from the tv/tivo to the amp and hdmi from tivo to TV.
2, hdmi tivo to TV then hdmi arc to amp(not ideal).

Torinate

Novice Member
Thank you.

So in doing this, I would need just one optical from the TiVo to the amp?

What about the firestick - where would that go in this equation? Currently it's HDMI into the amp.

I use the amp for everything - DVD, TiVo and Firestick. The run one HDMI from the amp to the TV. Running the optical to the amp and running the HDMO direct to the TV can be done easily.

Last edited:

Torinate

Novice Member
So I tried what you said but no luck with sound.

Still have this issue that Sony’s update caused. Apparently there’s more people with this issue from the update as well. So I guess there’s really no fix or workaround.

Not amused Sony... I expected better.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What happens if you power on the TV with no external devices attached to it?

Also try powering everything fully off at the wall, disconnect all devices from the TV (and assuming it works OK with no external devices attached) add one device at a time to the TV (and in turn the AVR) allowing a few mins between adding each.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom