New Tv around £1100 to replace old 768p plasma.

JiSingh1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking to replace our old 43" Samsung 768p plasma tv with a 65" tv as we are doing the living room up.

Not sure on OLED or LED. Has to have good upscaling as it's a family TV so a lot of SD channels are watched, with some Netflix & Amazon Prime. Basically no gaming at all right now, might get a last gen XBOX One X to use though. No direct outdoor lights hitting the TV so brightness shouldn't matter.

Looks like it's between:
Sony X90JU LED
Sony A80J
Panasonic JZ1000
Phillips OLED706
LG C1
LG B2 (insiders program, £1200)
Samsung QN95A

I know it's a big selection. Probably cross off the Samsung as it seems Dolby Vision is the more popular choice but would like options.

Thanks

Last edited:
If you're used to Plasma, then any of the OLEDs.

Personally, I'd go with the Sony or Panasonic for picture accuracy and upscaling but the LG and Philips aren't far off. So depending upon how much extra they cost and if you feel they're worth it.

Not having DV isn't the huge deal many think it is as the TV will still display standard HDR from the DV metadata.

Is DV better than HDR, yes, would you notice the difference unless you had 2x identical TVs next to each other playing the same scene, one with DV and one with HDR. Probably not.

Will you be using the tuner built in to the TV or an external tuner?

Generally SD looks trash on bigger UHD models, even the ones with the best upscaling. You'll probably find you prefer using your old TV for SD TV.

A basic TV like the X90J or LG B2 is plenty for watching SDR, but its with HDR where you need to spend more money and look at higher end TVs as they get brighter. So for a more convincing and trouble free picture with Netflix and Prime HDR content you need to look at models in my guide semi-pro or higher.

the C1 at the price it is or the Sony X90JU

Will you be using the tuner built in to the TV or an external tuner?

Generally SD looks trash on bigger UHD models, even the ones with the best upscaling. You'll probably find you prefer using your old TV for SD TV.

A basic TV like the X90J or LG B2 is plenty for watching SDR, but its with HDR where you need to spend more money and look at higher end TVs as they get brighter. So for a more convincing and trouble free picture with Netflix and Prime HDR content you need to look at models in my guide semi-pro or higher.
Using the Virgin TV 360 Box, got some HD channels on there which are 1080i but our current tv has dying pixels so on certain colours there's some weird colours on screen.

And thanks, Will have a look.

The panasonic 65jz1000 is only around £1200 great buy for a top 65 oled. Especially coming from a plasma

Using the Virgin TV 360 Box, got some HD channels on there which are 1080i but our current tv has dying pixels so on certain colours there's some weird colours on screen.

And thanks, Will have a look.
This is what I feared, if you are using an external box then all of your SD channels are already going to be upscaled to 1080i before they even reach the TV. So the TV won't have much to work with.

What will be holding you back is the quality of the source, and the fact your Virgin box is upscaling, I don't think you'll see any difference between the best and worse upscalers with SD unless you're feeding the TV exactly the source.

TV's with better upscaling may do the 1080i>3840p upscaling step a bit better though for feeds that are HD already.

This is what I feared, if you are using an external box then all of your SD channels are already going to be upscaled to 1080i before they even reach the TV. So the TV won't have much to work with.
Yeah I fear that too but our tv is dying and these days it's an abundance of 4K TVs over anything else.

Best I'd be able to do is have the box set to 1080p or 1080i as the max output resolution, then anything after that the tv will be able to upscale which is why I'm trying to figure out what's the best. Would have loved the 65" C2 from the insiders program for £1350 as that has got a lot better upscaling than the C1, but once I decided on it, they got sold out. ☹️

Can Virgin not upgrade your box for a decent price?

Mainly watching SD on a 4K TV is not going to be a great experience.

Just noticed the Samsung QN95A 65" £1124.10 @ RS with VIP discount and SAMS10 Voucher code for use at checkout.

Can Virgin not upgrade your box for a decent price?

Mainly watching SD on a 4K TV is not going to be a great experience.
that is the only box they supply to people. Only thing we can upgrade is to some extra channels with a few extra in HD but not many, but of course there's the cost of it.

The best will be to set 1080i and let the TV handle the deinterlacing and upscaling to 2160p.
However, you cannot avoid that extra step your Virgin box will do when watching SD feeds converting 576i to 1080i first.

The best results using the best upscaling TVs (high end Samsung and Sony TVs usually) is by feeding the original source. But there is only so much polishing you can do.

Moving away from terrestrial TV is probably a better idea. Or going for a small second hand or stop gap TV until your viewing habits change toward more 4k content.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom