• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New TV and football

tvw

Standard Member
Hi there,

I currently own a 28" Philips CRT television that needs to be replaced pretty soon.

So I'm looking for a new TV that will primarily will be used for watching football (soccer), series and DVD / BR movies.
Our living room can be darkened pretty nicely. The viewing distance will be about 3 meters.
The budget is €1200,- max.
I'm still not sure if I'd like a 42" or a 46/47" screen.

For me it's important that I can view football fluently without ghosting or low frame rates or something like that. My parents own a 2 year old Samsung HD LCD TV (and they have a HD receiver) but I don't enjoy football looking at that screen.

I've narrowed down my search (at this point) to the following TV's.
Panasonic VT20, G30, ST30
Samsung D65xx series
LG LW570s, LX9500

I've looked at several of these TVs in the shops (when available) but I could not see any football material.

So sports watchers could you help me out. Do you have any suggestions? What models are great for football?

Thanks for the help!

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
To start with Id go plasma if for football, then it gets tricky, Panasonic make the best plasmas but in 2010 people noticed the much talked about 50hz bug. This began with the VT20 but others have seen it on lower range models. The isdue seems to be more noticeable with footy and shows as a slight doubling of a moving image(lines on the pitch during camera pans are a good example) Whilst it seems this has been reduced in 2011 sets its still there. From what I understand it should be quite minor, far less an issue than LCD bluring and processing errors. Id not let it put you off the ST30 or G30 but its a good idea to have a demo before buying. Thetes info on the 50hz bug in the plasma section, sorry cant link as on my phone, also have a look at the reviews.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom