New TV Aerial - worth it?

pastrybloke19

Hi all,

So it looks like I will need to put scaffolding up to do chimney work on my roof in the next month or two, mid terrace house with three floors. So while it is up I have been thinking what else I could do to make use of it.

The render could do with fixing but haven’t got funds for that, and figure I wouldn’t be able to find a good tradesman to do it either. Gutters, fascia thing and down pipe have already been done; but guess I could clean it out whilst it is up.

The only other thing I can think of is the tv aerial, which is mounted on a pole off the chimney. I do use Freeview occasionally, so checked their website and looks like I am getting all the channels I can get (more HD ones would be nice!) and I haven’t had any issues to date. Aerial looks in ok condition, so should I just leave it? Or spend some £££ and take the opportunity to replace it?

nearby postcode is GL5 1DR

cheers

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
That postcode suggests the Stroud Freeview Lite transmitter for English TV channels or Wenvoe for Welsh on the Freeview predictor.

Stroud has the short cross rods vertical along the horizontal boom arm. Wenvoe has them horizontal. Which way is your aerial? However, wolfbane suggests Wenvoe is relatively weak and not line of sight. So I suspect that you'll be using the Stroud relay of Mendip.

Stroud provides circa 45 channels which is significantly fewer than is available from a main transmitter (Mendip, Wenvoe or Ridge Hill).

Unlikely that it's worth spending money on an aerial if it and the cable attached is in good condition on close inspection.

I'd doubt that good reception of Wenvoe (or Ridge Hill) would be achieved easily and without a large aerial {wind loading issues} and masthead amplification. A skilled local installer with good test aerial and metering equipment would be required to advise.

pastrybloke19

That postcode suggests the Stroud Freeview Lite transmitter for English TV channels or Wenvoe for Welsh on the Freeview predictor.

Stroud has the short cross rods vertical along the horizontal boom arm. Wenvoe has them horizontal. Which way is your aerial? However, wolfbane suggests Wenvoe is relatively weak and not line of sight. So I suspect that you'll be using the Stroud relay of Mendip.

Stroud provides circa 45 channels which is significantly fewer than is available from a main transmitter (Mendip, Wenvoe or Ridge Hill).

Unlikely that it's worth spending money on an aerial if it and the cable attached is in good condition on close inspection.

I'd doubt that good reception of Wenvoe (or Ridge Hill) would be achieved easily and without a large aerial {wind loading issues} and masthead amplification. A skilled local installer with good test aerial and metering equipment would be required to advise.
Thanks for the technical advice, very useful. Given the age of the property, no chance of putting a larger aerial up so that settles that nicely.

Still need to find something useful to do with scaffolding up.....maybe wash the windows?!? 🤣

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom