NEW TV ADVICE WANTED

Jimi D

Novice Member
Hello! New member here. I’m after some advice regarding two TV sets I’m considering. I can only buy one so here is the two I have in mind.

Sony Bravia KD55XH9505 or a Panasonic TX58HX820B.
Both sets are available at John Lewis U.K.

Content wise, I’d be watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, I have virgin media box & I also like to watch boxing & football.

The Sony is £837 & the Panasonic is £599. From what I’ve read the Sony speakers are 30 watt & the Panasonic are 10 watts. So the Panasonic might need a soundbar whereas the Sony might not.
Many thanks in advance.
Jimi

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Hello! New member here. I’m after some advice regarding two TV sets I’m considering. I can only buy one so here is the two I have in mind.

Sony Bravia KD55XH9505 or a Panasonic TX58HX820B.
Both sets are available at John Lewis U.K.

Content wise, I’d be watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, I have virgin media box & I also like to watch boxing & football.

The Sony is £837 & the Panasonic is £599. From what I’ve read the Sony speakers are 30 watt & the Panasonic are 10 watts. So the Panasonic might need a soundbar whereas the Sony might not.
Many thanks in advance.
Jimi
The Sony Bravia KD55XH9505 seems to be well regarded by AV Forums members so I would expect out of the two most would suggest the Sony.

Dodgexander

The HX800 series is not a competitor to the XH9505, its a much, much worse TV that competes instead with low tier offerings. In this instance, despite being more expensive the Sony is much better value, especially since there's really no value in buying a TV that doesn't have good HDR nowadays, especially with Netflix and Amazon which both use HDR!

Speaker wattage is not an indicator of sound quality, only how loud you can adjust the TV before there's distortion. Both TVs will sound poor, and have small built in speakers, budget for a soundbar or AVR+Speakers for your setup if you care about the sound quality.

Jimi D

Novice Member
The Sony Bravia KD55XH9505 seems to be well regarded by AV Forums members so I would expect out of the two most would suggest the Sony.
Thank you for the reply. I did think the Sony would be the better out of the two to be honest. Just I’m not too technical.

Jimi D

Novice Member
The HX800 series is not a competitor to the XH9505, its a much, much worse TV that competes instead with low tier offerings. In this instance, despite being more expensive the Sony is much better value, especially since there's really no value in buying a TV that doesn't have good HDR nowadays, especially with Netflix and Amazon which both use HDR!

Speaker wattage is not an indicator of sound quality, only how loud you can adjust the TV before there's distortion. Both TVs will sound poor, and have small built in speakers, budget for a soundbar or AVR+Speakers for your setup if you care about the sound quality.
Hi, thanks very much for the reply, it’s appreciated. Do you think the Sony would be the best TV for that price point of £837?

I did look at the OLED CX as well, I’m just wondering as the OLED gets such great reviews is it worth pushing the boat out so to speak & go for the LG. Yeah it’s £1100 but would it be so much better than the Sony?

My room is fairly bright with a large bay window. The OLED are supposed to be better in dark rooms or so I’ve read.

Many thanks once again.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom