New TV advice please

Stephen87

Novice Member
I am looking to upgrade from a 2014 42 inch Panasonic LCD.

I think either a 55 inch or 65 inch is best.

The TV will be in our lounge.

In terms of viewing angles, we will be watching the TV straight on or just about.

I wonder whether OLED would be overkill for someone like me? Plus, I occasionally do work on my TV and I don't like the risk of burn in.

I don't game at all. I mostly watch older TV shows on Britbox, occasionally I watch Netflix and I use TV Player to watch live TV.

I live in Slovakia and use a VPN through an Amazon Fire TV stick. I am considering upgrading to the 4k Max version, purely because it's supposedly a bit more quicker and snappy.

If I had a Google TV, could I use the VPN through this? I know, for example, Samsung and LG don't allow VPN apps on there devices. I don't know whether a Slovakian version of the TV would pick up the Britbox app with a VPN anyway!

My budget is up to €1500.

Thanks.

tvdavid

the Sony BRAVIA X90J may be one to go for

Dodgexander

Yes, you can use a VPN on a google or android TV, just as you do on a fire stick.
You download the VPM apps from the google play store and can even sideload as I'm sure you know about already with your fire TV.

Recommended already, the Sony X90J is a good beginner LCD TV for someone looking for a high-quality TV who will dabble in HDR now and again. However, I think the TCL C825 is a lot better value for money and the brighter HDR TV. Both TVs are in my guide here:

Stephen87

Novice Member
Yes, you can use a VPN on a google or android TV, just as you do on a fire stick.
You download the VPM apps from the google play store and can even sideload as I'm sure you know about already with your fire TV.

Recommended already, the Sony X90J is a good beginner LCD TV for someone looking for a high-quality TV who will dabble in HDR now and again. However, I think the TCL C825 is a lot better value for money and the brighter HDR TV. Both TVs are in my guide here:
Thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion! Much appreciated!

That's good news with regard to the VPN!

I believe TCL had some software/update issues? Is this when they moved over from Android to Google TV? Would you happen to know about this? I believe Sony TV's come with Google TV out of the box.

Dodgexander

I think the issues with TCL were in the US, I don't think the European C825 has the google TV update yet.
Really the TCL is a higher end TV than the X90J, its more similar to the X95J. X90J does not get very bright for a HDR TV.

So, like for like, the X90J is a worse TV overall, whether you want to go for that model instead because you prefer better motion, or a better-known company, well that's up to you.

Stephen87

Novice Member
Oh I see, none of the TCL's ship with Google TV? Is the Google update really worth it?

Yes, from what I have seen the X95J is considerably more expensive.

On your list of best TV's of the year, I notice quite a few Samsung's. Are any of them applicable for me? Also, any models last year worth considering?

Thanks again for your help. The internet can be such a minefield in trying to find the right TV these days. Your input both here and on this website has been invaluable.

Dodgexander

Yes, if you can stretch to it Samsung make the best LCD TVs overall in the QN94A and above. All in the guide.
They are a lot brighter and punchier with picture quality compared to Sony, with a lot more dimming zones and mini-LED tech.

But Sony still have the edge with picture accuracy and motion, and they tend to suffer less from Dirty Screen Effect.

You're right, it is a minefield, but it's a matter of choosing which pros you want from a TV and which minuses you don't care so much about when narrowing it down. Samsung may make the best LCD TVs, but they aren't the best for everyone.

I also don't think you'll be able to use a VPN on Samsung models. But having said that, many people keep their smart devices separate anyway.

Stephen87

Novice Member
Yes, if you can stretch to it Samsung make the best LCD TVs overall in the QN94A and above. All in the guide.
They are a lot brighter and punchier with picture quality compared to Sony, with a lot more dimming zones and mini-LED tech.

But Sony still have the edge with picture accuracy and motion, and they tend to suffer less from Dirty Screen Effect.

You're right, it is a minefield, but it's a matter of choosing which pros you want from a TV and which minuses you don't care so much about when

narrowing it down. Samsung may make the best LCD TVs, but they aren't the best for everyone.

I also don't think you'll be able to use a VPN on Samsung models. But having said that, many people keep their smart devices separate anyway.

Is it only Android/Google TV's that allow you to put a VPN on them directly?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom