1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV advice please - no perfect TV for me?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by steford, Jun 16, 2005.

1. steford

steford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Spent the day looking for a new 32" CRT to replace my old 28" JVC (which was fab) whose tube has died it seems. Over the years I've amassed a range of RGB enabled gear - Tivo, DVD, XBOX, NTL, Gamecube and satellite receiver that all look great on the 1 RGB socket on the JVC - if not a little dark. I always said that if I replaced the TV it would have to have more RGB inputs - I currently manage all this lot via the Tivo (2 RGB in), RGB pass thru on the DVD player (bought specifically for that reason) and an auto switch for the consoles and satellite box as they are least used. Everything is programmed into my MX-500 multi remote and all switching works great. Sound is via a Pioneer DTS receiver.

So I start looking today at TVs preferably under £400 and get the following impressions:-

1) Toshiba 32z44 - looks great, no bigger than my 28" JVC and is perfect in every respect except only 1 RGB scart, 2 in total - no better than now. Why do they make such poorly specced machines? UPDATE: just read the 28" review here - not even stereo outs on this meaning a clumsy connection from the front of the TV to get sound to the amp. Makes this a no go. Damn.

2) JVCs - loads of RGB inputs (too many?) and component which my DVD will do but a massive 25cm wider than my current TV due to the ridiculous speaker on each side.

3) Panasonic - pricey and not impressed that my dad's multi-remote won't switch his off. Is this a problem with all Panasonics? Can I forget about this and look for one matching my criteria?

4) Sony - possibly too pricey and not a huge fan - although love my Sony NS955 DVD player.

5) Samsung - never been that impressed

6) Philips - worth a look?

Anything else? I *could* get away with 1 scart alone and if I was to add another piece of equipment I'd probably be losing something else anyway as don't have much more space to house anything. The Toshiba, despite the poor connectivity, is looking the best bet I think. UPDATE: Nope, the connectivity is so poor on an otherwise good looking piece of kit I'll have to pass.

Anyone have any ideas? May have to drop down to 28" I think.

Thanks a lot.

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    All the latest JVCs have the speakers underneath the tube so they may fit in your space.

Look at the AV-32T4 or AV-32R4. The general rule with JVC sets is that 50Hz models have 1 RGB input and 100Hz sets have 2.

3. steford

steford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    T5 has them underneath actually - T4 seems to be the monster. Could probably compromise on something like this. Will check out prices. Thanks. Any other suggestions?

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    That'll teach me to type after midnight. T5 was the one I was thinking of. There's also a very new model, the AV-32E50 which is an IDTV but this has only 2 SCARTS.

5. steford

steford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Back on to Toshibas and the 32ZP46 as the only smallish 32" with enough inputs to do the job. So some final questions before I get one:-

1) Will the 100Hz be an issue with Tivo? Heard it can look bad in this mode. Can it be switched to 50Hz?
    2) Any nasty RGB surprises on the Tosh - eg pic 2 inches to left etc
    3) Any issues with Toshibas and multi-remotes? My dad can't switch off his Panasonic for example.
    4) Read here about some 60Hz NTSC input issues with this set. My consoles and boxes are all PAL but do have some 60Hz options in games and I run some US and Japanese imports on them. Any issues there? R1 DVDs from my Sony - connected via RGB or component? NTSC video tapes from my VCR? NTSC sat broadcasts?

Thanks a lot

6. steford

steford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Anyone going to persuade me not to get this set? £620 delivered from Dixons with various discounts. Anywhere cheaper to pick this or the 48 up from?

Thanks.