New TV advice - old one is dying :)

starglow

Hello all !

My current Samsung 48H6400 has developed huge blue spot almost at the screen center.
At the moment I managed to reduce the blue spot visibility by tweaking the settings but i do plan to buy a new TV soon.

My current setup also includes Denon X1600H and HTPC with GTX1060.

I've read some of topics here about few models that i've been researching all are around 600 EUR:
Philips 50PUS8506
Samsung 50AU8000
Hisense U8GQ

Primary source is HTPC with heavy usage of Youtube ( cartoons for my toddler :)), heavy usage of VLC player & Plex
and low usage of various gaming content.
Probably 4k gaming is out of question, but i do expect some 4k and HDR content from movies/TV shows.
Secondary source is IPTV with moderate usage of HD channels.

I'm leaning to the Philips at the moment as it seems it's better than mentioned Samsung.
Regarding Hisense, i've read mixed reviews with similar range of positive and negative experience. This one came to the list after
i realized that Samsung QN90A is out of my budget.

I would like to buy a sweet spot again similar to the current Samsung device.

Which one to pick ? Thanks !

Dodgexander

HDR really starts at the cheapest TV's in my guide here:

If you can't reach some models in budget then its perhaps better just to buy second hand to avoid problems with HDR on cheaper TVs. Perhaps also consider refurbished such as from Sony:

This time of year you can sometimes find clearance deals such as these:

You'll want to avoid TVs that aren't in the guide such as the ones you've listed. Even the U8G which is listed isn't best suited for everyone. It's also wise to shop at 55" and up, since 50" TVs tend to have worse specs and aren't as good value usually. Not to mention for 4k, 55" is small nowadays let alone 50".

starglow

Thanks for your reply.

During last two weeks, i've learned that buying a new TV is an absolute nightmare !

Managed to find another candidate in Sony X89J which seems to have a reasonable price for 50", 100 EUR above my initial budget ( eg. LG 48C1 is 840 EUR in my country, discount applied ! ).

Now it's up to me should i wait as wife seems to be unaffected with growing blue/purple spot. For me it's FOMO as i'm not sure will it last until world cup/black friday deals.

depot

@starglow if you look on YouTube, there are many videos of TV’s with a blue tint to the picture, it’s a problem with the backlight leds, shouldn’t be to expensive to fix.

starglow

@starglow if you look on YouTube, there are many videos of TV’s with a blue tint to the picture, it’s a problem with the backlight leds, shouldn’t be to expensive to fix.
Thanks for the reminder. I have seen few of those videos but i didn't feel comfortable with the whole process.
As my new 50X89J has arrived, maybe i'll try to replace backlight leds and sell or give the old device to someone.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom