1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV,advice needed

Discussion in 'TVs' started by smallman28, Jun 26, 2002.

1. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a new 28" widescreen tv to replace my current 24" model that matches the following criteria.
    £500-£600ish,at least 2 SCART sockets,NTSC compatable,I was looking for something in a brand name ie,Sony,Philips etc not a budget cheapy!
    Is there currently something along these lines that is considered to be a good buy for its price and spec?

2. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In the July issue of Home Cinema Choice a test of 28 inch, flatscreen, nicam tvs concluded with Best Buy awards for JVC 28T25EKS@ £600 and Panasonic TX 28PL1 also @ £600.

Brian.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As some have painfully learned on these forums, don't trust the reviews blindly. They have a tendency to omit rather important 'shortcomings' :rolleyes:

4. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Does this mean that there aren't any 28" flatscreen TV's under £600 that don't have any problems?
    Every single one that i spend ages finding a good price and reviews for, seems to have major problems?

The only ones that seem to be left alone are the toshiba models. I am therefore very interested in the new 28Z23B that has been released, but there is no information on it anywhere (Toshibas site is somewhat slow to update!!).

Can anyone shed some light on this subject and actually recommend a TV, as there seems to be lots of us who cannot afford or don't have the room for a cracking 32"+TV.

Cheers

The Monkey with the Nuts

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll find problems with ANY TV that you purchase, no matter how much you pay for it. The trick is to get one that has problems that you personally are able to tolerate.

You need to list what your priorities are and then match them up. For example, if you didn't plan to watch R1 or R3 DVDs, then the moire patterning on Panasonics when they display NTSC would not be a problem (but the dark stripes on their flatscreens might). Similarly, if you don't plan to use RGB, then a JVC will do you okay.

6. MrSpiggot

MrSpiggot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a minefield, and as you say, very time consuming.
    However, I've not seen anything bad said about the Sony KV28LS35. Maybe I just don't get out enough.
    You can pick that up for £600 if you shop around, or £500 if you don't want the overpriced stand. I compared the picture in Hi-Spek, where all TVs were being fed a decent RF signal and Sony was excellent.