New TV.. Advice needed!

SwiiftYz

Novice Member
Reaction score
It's been nearly 4 years since I purchased my last TV for the 2010 World Cup and as everything has changed in that time I have no clue about most of the technology used in today's models.

I mainly use my TV for gaming (PS4) and to watch Blu-rays so Full HD is a must, my budget is around £1k and I'd like to try and aim for a 50" or 55" as I'd like a fairly decent size upgrade from my current 42".

Smart functionality isn't necessary as most consoles come with a majority of apps built into them now. 3D is a must as I'm an avid movie watcher, I have no idea about the difference between passive & active (hopefully got the names right).

I'd like to be able to walk into a store so I can haggle a little but if I'm linked any online I'd happily consider them too.

Thanks for any help in advanced.

Sony 50W8? Buy Sony Bravia KDL50W8 LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 50" with Freeview/Freesat HD & 2x 3D Glasses online at John Lewis

You won't be able to haggle (any more than you would in Currys or Richer Sounds these days), but you do get a 5 year warranty, delivery and excellent aftersales. You might be able to price match but as a new model, the price is likely competitive

Active 3D though - do some googling for information about the differences

This 2013 one's passive, low input lag but less good blacks but it is 55" Sony BRAVIA KDL55W805A | 55 inch 3D LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

Quick question, I've done a little research on it and Active 3D comes out better as it's full 1080p in both eyes, correct? I do like the look of the first TV, only thing I can't decide is it I want to spend a bit more and definitely go for a 55 inch.

Yes, but people can get headaches or see flickering with active

Viewing distance?

Go demo the TVs in store

I don't like lg as a brand so wouldn't be for me. Look at 55et61 Panasonic at john Lewis, £900 I think

Yes, but the rest of the brand is not for me. I'd have a Panasonic, a TV is not just the panel

Read around the main LCD forum for owner feedback

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom