New TV advice for a Noob

Arizolas

Standard Member
Hello

I guess this gets asked 1 million times a day.

However I currently have a Samsung tv 55" series 7 which has its issues such as screen judder the TV is probably 6 years old or so and I fancy a new one, why? Because screen judder on sports does my head in and I just like new tech.

So what am I thinking, I fancy a 65" to replace this one.

I use it for gaming, watching sports and movies.

I am concerned sticking with samsubg will have the same slowdown/judder on football

My budget is around 1300-1500

Any advice is welcome, the type of room is dark most the day until an evening as the sun comes round the house and it will hit the tv which is a pain.

Thanks

pastrybloke19

Hello

I guess this gets asked 1 million times a day.

However I currently have a Samsung tv 55" series 7 which has its issues such as screen judder the TV is probably 6 years old or so and I fancy a new one, why? Because screen judder on sports does my head in and I just like new tech.

So what am I thinking, I fancy a 65" to replace this one.

I use it for gaming, watching sports and movies.

I am concerned sticking with samsubg will have the same slowdown/judder on football

My budget is around 1300-1500

Any advice is welcome, the type of room is dark most the day until an evening as the sun comes round the house and it will hit the tv which is a pain.

Thanks
It does get asked a lot, but that’s just part of the forum and a lot of people are also happy to help.

First off, decide if LCD or OLED is your preferred tech. I would guess OLED as long as you can block out that sun (blinds?), and aren’t at risk of burn in.

Then check out this helpful guide (kudos to @Dodgexander)

All TVs will claim to do HDR, but only a few can display it well. Nothing wrong with a cheap tv, as long as your expectations are also low (bought a 55” hisense for a friend, he loved it for the value).

TVs from 2021 are coming it the end of their cycle and will be having the biggest discounts; good time to work out which tvs you would be happy with, and track those prices. You could buy a new 2022 TV but they are expensive and most improvements year-on year are small/incremental.

I don’t think a good 75” LCD is in your budget, but it could be worth looking at if you can up your budget a bit and time it right with the sales. (I always say bigger is better).

And lastly always buy from a good retailer: John Lewis and Richer sounds are often recommended on here, and Costco seems to be well rated too.

Cheers

Arizolas

Standard Member
It does get asked a lot, but that’s just part of the forum and a lot of people are also happy to help.

First off, decide if LCD or OLED is your preferred tech. I would guess OLED as long as you can block out that sun (blinds?), and aren’t at risk of burn in.

Then check out this helpful guide (kudos to @Dodgexander)

All TVs will claim to do HDR, but only a few can display it well. Nothing wrong with a cheap tv, as long as your expectations are also low (bought a 55” hisense for a friend, he loved it for the value).

TVs from 2021 are coming it the end of their cycle and will be having the biggest discounts; good time to work out which tvs you would be happy with, and track those prices. You could buy a new 2022 TV but they are expensive and most improvements year-on year are small/incremental.

I don’t think a good 75” LCD is in your budget, but it could be worth looking at if you can up your budget a bit and time it right with the sales. (I always say bigger is better).

And lastly always buy from a good retailer: John Lewis and Richer sounds are often recommended on here, and Costco seems to be well rated too.

Cheers
Many thanks

I've been advised that oled can suffer burn in, so I'm concerned about gaming as I can play that for hours at a time.

65" is about my max for the room size, yeah I have blinds on the window for the sun.

If I like the models I have been looking at and any feedback would be super.

Samsung 65” QN90A Neo QLED 4K HDR Smart TV (2021)

LG OLED65C14LB 65 Inch OLED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV

Only concern is burn in, currently LG is on offer at Costco.

Does warranty cover burn in? This is something I've never previously worried about.

Dodgexander

Gaming isn't necessarily risky, it depends what games you play. Just as it depends what TV you watch.

There are some TVs in the guide, and some are not for a reason. The QN90A is not in the guide for good reason. You want the QN94A in the UK.

Arizolas

Standard Member
I play various games on ps5 and switch, my current TV hasn't had a burn in issue.

Then I may stick with LG OLED65C14LB 65 Inch OLED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV from Costco atm, at around 1450.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom