New tv advice after my daughter killed my old one!

Ashrack

Standard Member
Hi all and thanks for looking at this to give me some advice?

I've always been a Samsung TV owner since I started buying my own tvs and have always spend around the 1000 - 1500 mark on 48 - 55" screens.

My most recent TV was a 55" Q95T that I had wall mounted to the kids couldn't touch or damage (I have a 3, 6 and 8 year old). This didn't work as my 6 year old managed to launch a hula hoop at it while spinning it on her arm.... I had only owned the tv a month :-(

No I'm obviously looking for a new TV to replace this and have a £1599 currys voucher to use for this replacement.

I'm now also looking at possibility going up a screen size to 65" and with the amount of tv's on the market its kind of a mine field as to what to go for.

I had brand loyalty (which is a bad thing tbh as I have never looked at anything other than samsung tv's) but I'm open to anything this time.

Main uses are youtube that the kids watch, sky HD and the usual streaming stuff of netflix, Disney and amazon.

Any help on deciding what to choose would be most appreciated.

Ashrack

Standard Member
Image so u can all laugh!

Attachments

• 20210721_155601.jpg
    20210721_155601.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 147

tvdavid

But prob not as good as your older tv. but is a big a nice size. will be fine for what you need it for.

Ashrack

Standard Member

But prob not as good as your older tv. but is a big a nice size. will be fine for what you need it for.
Or do I just stick at 55" and go for the new q95 they have on offer? I don't mind putting come cash towards the price.

There is this for example

And I would also get 300 cash back

tvdavid

I think the bigger Sony TV it will have HDR but not as bright but for freeview it don't matter.

Ashrack

Standard Member
How are the Phillips ambilight tvs? I've been offered this for 1749

PHILIPS Ambilight 65OLED935/12​

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member

Dodgexander

How are the Phillips ambilight tvs? I've been offered this for 1749

PHILIPS Ambilight 65OLED935/12​

That's a good price for a TV that has good built in sound.

In terms of picture though, it won't be much better than the cheaper OLED705.

Ashrack

Standard Member
That's a good price for a TV that has good built in sound.

In terms of picture though, it won't be much better than the cheaper OLED705.
I have a q60t sound bar that I bought with my q95t because of the discount they were giving when buying it. So I don't know if it will have any major plus on the Phillips TV compared to the soundbar?

I don't have any of the latest consols yet either and doubt I will even get any of them either.

Just want a TV that will do my streaming off the likes of netflix amazon and Disney plus. The q95t was the best TV I had owned in the short time I had it. So deciding on if I should go oled or stick with qled is one dilemma.

The tv will be wall mounted again (no idea if that really matters) and I have a bit to play with money wise.

Dodgexander

One of the best TVs with built in sound versus a low-mid range soundbar, will be close probably. Would maybe allow you to stop using your soundbar if you wanted too.

Have you considered whether an OLED is suited to you compared to another LCD TV?

Ashrack

Standard Member
One of the best TVs with built in sound versus a low-mid range soundbar, will be close probably. Would maybe allow you to stop using your soundbar if you wanted too.

Have you considered whether an OLED is suited to you compared to another LCD TV?
I've been reading up and looking at reviews and all sorts but it all goes over my head. I've never owned an oled only ever lcd or qled

Smudger558

I had a top end fald a sony xe9405 and it was good I brought a 77 inch sony a80j and it is a substantial upgrade oled eliminates blooming bad Black's dirty screen effect no banding and brightness is more than enough and before anyone says different it's my opinion

Dodgexander

I've been reading up and looking at reviews and all sorts but it all goes over my head. I've never owned an oled only ever lcd or qled
QLED is just an LCD TV with a quantum dot filter/backlight.
Does this help at all?

Should give you an idea of what to expect compared to your old TV.

Ashrack

Standard Member
So basically oled overall will give me a better viewing experience over an lcd TV. Better start looking more into oled then
QLED is just an LCD TV with a quantum dot filter/backlight.
Does this help at all?

Should give you an idea of what to expect compared to your old TV.

Dodgexander

So basically oled overall will give me a better viewing experience over an lcd TV. Better start looking more into oled then
Usually yes, there are some some specific areas LCD TVs are better, but most people tend to agree OLED has the better picture.

If you tend to watch the TV in brighter conditions, you negate the disadvantages of LCD TVs more, so sometimes its wise to buy one instead of an OLED to save money.

If you want an improved version of your old TV you could go for the QN90A which really is similar, but on steroids. Problem is its a newly released model, so it costs a lot at the moment.

Ashrack

Standard Member
Usually yes, there are some some specific areas LCD TVs are better, but most people tend to agree OLED has the better picture.

If you tend to watch the TV in brighter conditions, you negate the disadvantages of LCD TVs more, so sometimes its wise to buy one instead of an OLED to save money.

If you want an improved version of your old TV you could go for the QN90A which really is similar, but on steroids. Problem is its a newly released model, so it costs a lot at the moment.
I'll have a pop into curry's this weekend and have a look at the qn90a and a few of the oled tvs.

Thanks alot for your help @Dodgexander

Ashrack

Standard Member
I have to say.. compared to my q95t this thing is amazing! Also managed to get a q900 soundbar instead of the gx lg one!

total price of the 2 I got for £1469.

Again thanks for recommendations on the tv. Now to have it calibrated. How long should I give it before I get it done?
IMG-20210828-WA0016.jpeg

Dodgexander

Again thanks for recommendations on the tv. Now to have it calibrated. How long should I give it before I get it done?
Calibration out of the box is already pretty good but you can get pro calibration whenever you like. There's no burn in period with OLED like Plasma.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021