New TV: 42"+, no 3D, 800-1300 Euro. Possibly Panasonic

maloik

Standard Member
Hey guys

I've been taking a look around online, but there's just too much to choose from so I decided to come here to ask for advice.

The room the TV will be in is pretty big, with the couches far enough from the wall. I doubt the bigger sets will cause any neckstrain, so anything up to 50 or maybe even 55" should be fine. I wouldn't mind anything smaller though, in the 46 to 50 range. Below 46 might be a bit small.

As far as lighting goes, there's a huge window to the right of my tv, but we'll just have to get some proper drapes for that.

I'm not a fan of 3D so I prefer sets without it, as it would be a waste of money. My parents have a Panasonic plasma that's a couple years old and I really like the image on that TV, and together with the good things I've heard from Panasonic I guess it wouldn't be a bad buy. Feel free to suggest other TV's with similar or the same panels though (wasn't panasonic using the same as sharp or LG ?).

Requirements for the TV itself... I guess DLNA would be nice to have, as well as enough HDMI ports. Sound quality is less of an issue as in the future I'll buy a nice stereo set to go with it. Besides you can't expect too much from a TV now can you :).

I'll use it with my pc and mac, as well as with a Medi8tor mediacenter thingy.

If you have questions, ask away! And if you think a plasma is a bad idea for some reason, feel free to tell me.

Thank you!

EDIT: I forgot to add it will be used for movies and series 80-90% of the time, with some regular TV thrown in as well. Probably no gaming, but if I would buy a console in the future I don't care too much about the image, as long as my movies and series look pretty damn good :)

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
I don't think Panasonic make any non 3D TVs over 42" this year - neither plasma nor LED-LCD

You don't have to use 3D, 3D TVs are as good for 2D - just don't have the glasses or feed it 3D material

Not sure what country you are in but here in the UK, that budget wouldn't cover a 55", but plenty of 50"

There is a reasonably priced 60" LG plasma, not sure if it is 2D or 3D though

maloik

Standard Member
it doesn't need to be this year's model, as long as I can still get it that is...

the reason I said I didn't need 3D is that I suspect for the same budget I can get a better quality image, or I can get the same quality for less, even if it means buying last year's models

vickster

Distinguished Member
How about suggesting some models that you can get, then people can comment :) You haven't said what country you are in

maloik

Standard Member
I'm sorry, I'm in Belgium

As far as models go.. I haven't narrowed it down at all because I don't have a clue how to compare them, really... was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction

vickster

Distinguished Member
If you can find one, the better 2D plasma TVs last year were the Panasonic 50S30, 50G30, 50V30; the Samsung 51D6900 also very good, but 3D, don't let that put you off

You really do need a short list - most people here are in the UK, and there are different models

maloik

Standard Member
Not sure if this helps, but here's a list of tv's I think I should be able to find:

Televisies | Electronics | Tweakers.net Pricewatch Prijzen

The TX-P50ST50E and TX-P42ST50E I should also be able to get. Other possibilities (from this shop) but most likely out of my budget range are the TX-P50GT50E, TX-P55ST50E and TX-P50VT50E

I hope to be able to visit a couple shops in the near future so I can write down their available models as well

vickster

Distinguished Member
Those are all 3D - there are reviews of all in the review section, filter on Panasonic and scroll through :)

maloik

Standard Member
I went to the shop and they gave me their catalogue for available tv's. It's pretty clear (but feel free to prove me wrong) that for a room our size we're better off with a 50", and in that range the VT50 and GT50 seem to be the top end with a better THX panel.

My question is, what are the differences between these sets? From what I can tell, the VT50 has a nicer remote control, includes 2 3d glasses and has better blacks, but that's about all I could seem to find...

That specific shop sells them at 1600 and 2000, which is a bit steep for me, so unless they can drop their prices the VT50 probably won't be an option but I'd like to hear the differences nevertheless and maybe then I'll find another shop that has better prices...

vickster

Distinguished Member
Reviews of the GT and VT series to read in the review section, may help :)

vickster

Distinguished Member
Well you'll be able to copmpare the specs on the Panasonic UK site

Products - Compare Products - Panasonic UK & Ireland

I am sure the VT50 will have much deeper blacks and a better filter which is good if the room is bright. The VT is usually nicer aesthetically too but that's subjective

Maybe ask in the plasma forum if anyone has done a detailed demo or owned both

maloik

Standard Member
I just got the offer the shop is making me, and I won't be able to go under it I think...

GT50 is 1350, VT50 is 1750 euro.

From your last reply, vickster, I'm leaning towards the VT because of the better blacks and because the room is quite illuminated in some conditions. But I'd love to hear some pro and con arguments, or a rough outline of the difference I can expect...

Anyone owned these or demo'd them? Would love to hear more thoughts!

vickster

Distinguished Member
Plasma forum - long owners threads :)

maloik

Standard Member
Someone just sent me an offer for a P50ST30 for 800 euro, but the ST30 range is last year's isn't it?

In any case, how do these panels compare between the THX and the 'regular' panels? Having a hard time imagining how much I need/want the THX panels...

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Someone just sent me an offer for a P50ST30 for 800 euro, but the ST30 range is last year's isn't it?

In any case, how do these panels compare between the THX and the 'regular' panels? Having a hard time imagining how much I need/want the THX panels...
Id not go for last years model, too many issues. If going for a 2011 set Id recommend a D6900 or D8000 from Samsung. For this year you want to look at the Samsung E6500 and E8000, Panasonic ST50, GT50 and VT50. THX is nice to have but as you can see in the reviews its not a must as non THX sets have just as good preset modes.

I had a GT30 but sent it back due to the green uniformity issue and now have s Samsung D6900. Important considering buying a 55" ST50 or 60" E6500 early next year.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom