Question New TV +- £600 (Sony vs. Samsung mainly)

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by snot, Jun 24, 2015.

1. snot

snot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I'm looking for a new TV for around £600 (I'm willing to go higher if this would be a wise step regarding price/quality). 50" would be ideal, but 48" (cf. Samsung) would also be ok, but not smaller. The most important requirement for is me is picture quality in general (I guess this means I need a VA panel?). I've read that the Sony 50W8xx series is recommended (also especially because of its low in put lag).

I will use the TV primarily to connect a "media PC" to it to watch films and series from the PC on the TV. Watching TV as such will only be done sporadically. Gaming will also be sporadically on PC and possibly on console sometimes. This is why I ask if I need to stick to the low input lag: will I notice the difference if I'm just watching films and series on my PC or will I only notice it when I am actually gaming?

If so, I would probably best stick with Sony's W8 series. If so, I have questions about this series. There are different types of the 2014 W8 models, with little apparent differences, only the Hz rating seems to differ: 400, 600, 800. I've read that this difference isn't noticeable in practice? However, the W828B and W829B also seem to have a "de-blur" setting. Does this make any difference in practice? The main difference with the 2015 models seems to be Android TV and an input lag which is oddly higher than the 2014 models. Regarding picture quality there is no difference (?). It doesn't seem worth it to go for the 2015 models, then.

If I don't need to pay attention to low input lag in my situation, the decision which TV to get becomes harder. Especially Samsung becomes a main competitor for Sony's W8 series then (LG is worse in picture quality I've read?). Samsung's UE48H6xxx series is interesting in this regard. However, I can't seem to find the difference in their numbering; there is a H6200, H6240, H6400, H6410, H6500, H6640, H6650, H6670, H6800, H6850, ... Wat is the difference between these numberings (because prices tend to differ significally; see below) and to what should I pay attention? I've found that the main difference seems to be the "CMR Hz" (200, 400, 600).

I've viseted some shops and I'd like to make a list of interesting TVs I've seen to give you some guidance in relation with the prices. I live in Belgium so I'm roughly translating the prices to pounds:

- Panasonic TX48AX630: £640
    - Samsung UE48H6200: £480
    - Samsung UE48H6400: £550
    - Samsung UE48H6500 £420
    - Samsung UE48H6670: £600
    - Samsung UE48H6850: £710
    - Samsung UE50H6200: £570
    - Sony 50W829B: £600

So, I'd like to get some help with choosing the right TV for me considering my situation.

I also have a more technical question. I'm planning to connect my media PC to my TV. COnsidering this is an old PC, it only has DVI and VGA on its graphics card. I don't think it is a problem to use a DVI or VGA to HDMI cable for this (or an adapter to HDMI; which would give the best quality?)? And in general, should I use the DVI or VGA port? I also want to mention that my PC does not support FUll HD resolution (max 1280x800 I believe). Would this cause any problems?

Pardon my long post; I tried to explain my situation and dilemma the best I can. Hopefully you can provide me with some guidance!

2. qfk123

qfk123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
  3. snot

snot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. qfk123

qfk123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Apologies missed the bit where you said you were in Belgium.

Is the Sony 50w829b still available as that's what I would try for , I have the 55 on order.

5. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    You could probably get the new 50W755C for close to 850 euro if you ask for best prices and don't care about 3D.
    Samsung's differences range from cosmetic, accessoires, store exclusives (H6670) to curved (H6850) or not (rest). Twin tuner from H6500 and up iirc as well (watch and record different channels simultaneously) ...

Also if you connect the pc via DVI or VGA, no sound is transfered so you also need to connect the pc to the headphone jack. And you don't have to worry about input lag in your situation no ...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  6. snot

snot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. I went with the H6500 for £420; I couldn't let that slip tbh. I'm aware that I won't have any sound, but that is no problem since my PC is connected to an AV receiver for sound.

I do have a further question: could anyone tell me what the best way would be to calibrate the TV (by doing this yourself)? I think there are are some settings to be found on the internet about this (possibly on this forum) that I could search for, but if anyone reading this knows a link, that would spare me the search time.