New turntable

The best choice

• Total voters

XIKO29

Novice Member
Hi,
I'm trying to choose between the Pro-Ject X2 (without balanced outputs) and the Rega Planar 6 (only between one of this turntables and new; nothing more and nothing in 2nd hand).
At the moment i own the Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 and the amp is a Micromega IA-400 (that i probably will replace in some months).

I know that there are fans from both brands but please, i need an "conscious" advice and not one from the heart :D

I created a poll and i hope you can vote but, if possible, hope that you can justify your choice/vote too.

Thanks ;)

Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
If you are happy to go second hand then these two are worth a look.

Roksan Radius 5 , Nima unipivot are and DL103 cartridge.

Clearaudio Concept, MM cartridge

XIKO29

Novice Member
If you are happy to go second hand then these two are worth a look.

Roksan Radius 5 , Nima unipivot are and DL103 cartridge.

Clearaudio Concept, MM cartridge

Thanks but I'm only considering the referred models.

madfiddler

If you’ve already narrowed it down and I assume therefore read many reviews, best bet is to go listen.

I don’t think any technical comparison will tell you one is clearly ‘better‘ than the other in a meaningful way. Many people will have pros and cons for both TTs. I think the VTA approach personally would make me lean towards pro-Ject

Cartridge will of course make a big difference and there is no need necessarily to think the stock sound with manufacturer’s supplied carts is what you have to stick with. considering the price points though I assume you are considering stock manufacturer option MM carts?

XIKO29

Novice Member
If you’ve already narrowed it down and I assume therefore read many reviews, best bet is to go listen.

I don’t think any technical comparison will tell you one is clearly ‘better‘ than the other in a meaningful way. Many people will have pros and cons for both TTs. I think the VTA approach personally would make me lean towards pro-Ject

Cartridge will of course make a big difference and there is no need necessarily to think the stock sound with manufacturer’s supplied carts is what you have to stick with. considering the price points though I assume you are considering stock manufacturer option MM carts?
Yes, listening to both is mandatory.
Just want to know the opinion of people with more knowledge than me (which is not difficult :laugh:)

At least here in Portugal the Pro-Ject X2 comes with the Pick it 2M Silver, while the Rega can come with a Goldring 1042, Goldring Elite, Rega Exact MM, or the Rega Ania MC.
I think that the Rega Ania Pro, which i already read that ir very good, is not available here, or at least, is only available as a separate purchase.

Kapkirk

The Planar 6 with Goldring 1042 would be hard to beat price/performance wise.

Khankat

If you are looking to buy, then a dealer should do their best to accommodate you. So if you want the Pro-ject with the Golding 1042, then they should do their utmost to provide you with your choice and at a favourable price. If a dealer cannot or will not do so, find a dealer that will. My personal preference would be the Pro-ject with the 1042.🙂

XIKO29

Novice Member
If you are looking to buy, then a dealer should do their best to accommodate you. So if you want the Pro-ject with the Golding 1042, then they should do their utmost to provide you with your choice and at a favourable price. If a dealer cannot or will not do so, find a dealer that will. My personal preference would be the Pro-ject with the 1042.🙂
My dealer (no pun intended... :laugh:) only sells the X2 with the Pick it 2M Silver, but they have the Goldring 1042 too and it would be just a matter of asking them that option with a friend's discount :D

Can you please justify your preference? That way i can see why people prefer one or another. :)

Thanks

Last edited:

Kapkirk

I think it pretty much comes down to what you like the look of, both decks are very good, I personally prefer the design of the arm on Rega but the X2 comes with the Acrylic platter (and probably better looks) so both have plus and minus points, in sound terms both would be pretty close, hard choice I know but go with what you gut is telling you. The Pick it 2M is OK but the goldring 1042 is in a different league and would sound fantastic on either decks.

XIKO29

Novice Member
I think it pretty much comes down to what you like the look of, both decks are very good, I personally prefer the design of the arm on Rega but the X2 comes with the Acrylic platter (and probably better looks) so both have plus and minus points, in sound terms both would be pretty close, hard choice I know but go with what you gut is telling you. The Pick it 2M is OK but the goldring 1042 is in a different league and would sound fantastic on either decks.

Honestly, in terms of design, i think that the Planar 6 seems more appealing but it's also true that the acrylic platter that comes with the X2 "catches the eye" :)

It's incredible the difference in weight from two direct competitors

• P6: 5.2kg
  • X2: 10kg!

Kapkirk

Honestly, in terms of design, i think that the Planar 6 seems more appealing but it's also true that the acrylic platter that comes with the X2 "catches the eye" :)

It's incredible the difference in weight from two direct competitors

• P6: 5.2kg
  • X2: 10kg!
The Planar 8 and 10 are lighter than all the above, so weight doesn't always mean better.
If the X2 came with the RB330 tonearm then I'd def have the Pro-Ject, it's more of an ergonomic thing than a performance thing for me.
I can't tell you the amount of times the tone arm has slipped out of my finger and I have watched the stylus bouncing across my records on my Debut Pro because of that unfriendly headshell design and high armrest.
Yeah I know I should use the arm lift but am so used to handling the old technics headshell type and the one on my old Planar 3, and even though I know carbon fibre arm and headshell is strong I thought I was going to snap it off when trying to change the cartridge, it seems so fragile.

XIKO29

Novice Member
The Planar 8 and 10 are lighter than all the above, so weight doesn't always mean better.
If the X2 came with the RB330 tonearm then I'd def have the Pro-Ject, it's more of an ergonomic thing than a performance thing for me.
I can't tell you the amount of times the tone arm has slipped out of my finger and I have watched the stylus bouncing across my records on my Debut Pro because of that unfriendly headshell design and high armrest.
Yeah I know I should use the arm lift but am so used to handling the old technics headshell type and the one on my old Planar 3, and even though I know carbon fibre arm and headshell is strong I thought I was going to snap it off when trying to change the cartridge, it seems so fragile.
Yes, the entire Planar line is all much lighter than the X-Line from Pro-Ject.
Probably the reason are different visions/approaches for how much a turntable should weight to be more stable. Or just marketing :D

Regarding the RB330 tonearm, i think you wanted to say "P6" and not "X2" since that tonearm is from Rega.

Kapkirk

Yes, the entire Planar line is all much lighter than the X-Line from Pro-Ject.
Probably the reason are different visions/approaches for how much a turntable should weight to be more stable. Or just marketing :D

Regarding the RB330 tonearm, i think you wanted to say "P6" and not "X2" since that tonearm is from Rega.
Seems like you didn't read it properly, try again. :):)

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
I have the P6 with the Ania (MC) cartridge and it's excellent.

Two things to note with Rega TTs - ad per the previous posts, they're very light, nd therefore prone to vibration. If you can mount one on the Rega wall shelf (or similar) it will help enormously.

The other thing is the pricing (in the UK, at least) when bundled with a Rega cartridge. This makes the Rega carts very competitive price-wise. I think, less-so if you;re purchasing a cartridge separately.

I've not heard the ProJect, so can't offer a comparison, sorry - but, again as above, auditions is the way to go.

RugbyAl

Both good turntables, my preferred option would be the Rega with the 1042 (which is in a completely different league to the Pick-It Silver in terms of detail and refinement). Also, the arm as mentioned, is much easier to handle.

If you do ever intend to sell, I find Regas hold their value MUCH better than Project decks as well.

Quite a considerable weight difference as you say. Rega's design philosophy is light and stiff hence their use of a laminated aerospace material plinth. This is not a cheap piece of machined MDF that is in the Project. The intent of this is to push any resonances in the plinth up to much higher frequencies where energy levels are lower

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
I'm a fan of Rega, so there is my vote. They sound very analogue, while Pro-Jects tend to be more clean and transparent.
Both are a solid choice for many years of happy listening.

XIKO29

Novice Member
Sorry @BT Bob and @RugbyAl for the late reply.

Yes, both have different approaches regarding the materials used, and to me, both brands did a good job considering their vision: Rega uses Tancast 8 polyurethane foam because "Rega engineers believe too much mass impacts the sound"; Pro-Ject, i believe, go for heavier materials to improve the stability.

In my case I think the weight (high or low) would not make difference since it's gonna sit on a sturdy place.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom