1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Turntable Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by The Boogerman, May 30, 2005.

1. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My 20 year old Dual 505-2 has finally died, and I'm looking for something to do justice to my (1000+) vinyl collection.

Part of me is tempted by staying in the budget end of things, as I have never heard the difference a decent TT could make. Can a £200 tonearm or £200 cartridge really make that much difference?

I'm tempted by the Pro-ject Perspective with Pro-ject 9C tonearm and Sumiko Blue Point No 2 cartridge, which I could get for £625 delivered.

Are there other models, brands, combinations, etc. that I should be considering in this price range, or just above?

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    A lot depends on the rest of your system but generally speaking a £600 TT should sound a lot better than your Dual.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd totally agree with what Londondecca has said...the package you mention has an excellent pedigree,as well as offering good value,and I think that compared to your previous system,you'll find yourself hearing bits of the records you've never heard before.

I've just bought an oldish but very nice LP12,and fitted the Supex SD900 I had sitting around for a few years,plus added a decent phono stage,and whilst my record collection is nowhere near as large as yours,I've found it a real pleasure to listen to.

You could also take a look at the Rega TT's in your price range,plus one of their arms,as this is another good contender in the price range.

The Sumiko is a good budget MC,and should offer no problems with a suitable preamp,but do look at the Rega TTs' and arms as well.....a P3 with an RB600 arm should come in at around £650 or less.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    You can buy a lot of TT for £625 dude, in fact new you should also consider the Michell Technodec £650 without cart (Bang on a £100 Grado Gold MM) & Clearaudio Emotion with cart - £675. The Perspective is a nice TT, but I would be more tempted to get a RPM6 from Project (I like Projekt decks) with a £200 cart on it, this is doable for under £600 ex-dem/2nd hand. Anyway plenty of choices dude, as London says though your other kit should be looked at namely quality of your phono stage, if you don’t have one or are using an amp phono stages, you’d be better of spending £100 of your budget on a phono stage at this point also. Ie MF XLPS or Graham Slee, Project SE.

http://www.hifiguy.co.uk/
    Some nice £450 LP12s

http://www.matrixhi-fi.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_Pre_Owned.html
    A Lovely Michell Micro £500 & Project RPM4 for £225 (Good Bargain), Phono Stages for sale as well.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Whilst on the subject of LP12s....also try the Emporium.....very helpful and accomadating.

www.emporiumhifi.com

On a related topic....CJROSS....any experience of the Trichord Dino?

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Nope Alex, I can point you in the direction of the Moth though, the guy I bought mine off had a fully specced Ittok-Klyde LP12, it works wonderfully with my mid-level Sondek. And if you read the latest TT group test in HFC it was the stage used for that group test (Richard Black on HFC uses one). A little jewel waiting to be discovered bro. Dinos get very good reviews, but Id be more inclined to get the best possible Graham Slee stage I could for my money, ie the Era gold.

7. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for the replies. Some good suggestions and advice here.

To take a step back, I'm a Brit living in Germany so buying from UK based stores/websites may not be the best or only option (I'm not ruling it out though).

System wise, I'm looking at this as a new start. I've spent some time and money building up a reasonable AV setup, and now want to turn to upgrading (and separating) the HiFi side of things. I'm looking at this developing in stages, first TT, with Amp, CD player and speakers following later. In a really ideal world I would prefer not to have to add speakers (as I already have a 7.1 setup in the room), and use the fronts from my AV system, but this throws up the problem of wanting to connect two amps to one pair of speakers (any ideas?). Initially, I would be pairing the TT with either my Yamaha RX-V1400 AV Amp (which has a phono stage) and Canton Ergo 700 fronts, or use my 20 year old HiFi equipment, Harmon Kardon PM625 Amp and Mission 707 Speakers.

The point about a separate phono stage is good, but I'd prefer to delay that until next pay packet, so I can maximise my available budget.

So shortlist of TT contenders
    Linn LP12
    Rega Planar P3
    Pro-ject Perspective
    Pro-ject RPM6
    Clearaudio Emotion

From what has been said so far, is it fair to say that once you have a decent TT and arm, that the real difference can be made from a decent cartridge and phone stage? Is there a standard rule of thumb that would say for example spend 35% TT, 25% TA, 20% Cart, 20% Phono?

8. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Boog, well you live in Germany do you well your off to a flier already, as the Clearaudio Emotion is a German deck they are for sale in Germany for £500 (when it first came out) with Satisfy Arm & Cart
    compared to £675 over here, thats brand new with from a dealer. Use initially into your Yammie, but when you upgrade to stereo ampage consider a stage, and Clearaudio also do a £250 UK rrp stage which will be cheaper in Germany. First off buy a good TT package, ie at your mark your talking Rega P25/R600 , Michell Technodeck - RB300 or the Clearaudio Emotion. But as your in Germany the Clearaduio option is a no brainer. Check out the Emotion with Satisfy arm and the Basic Phono stage all within your range - that Arm looks like a real tasty piece of design IMHO, and you will be charged a lot less than we are over here in rip off Britain.

http://www.clearaudio.de/index.htm

http://www.craneaudio.com/audio-systems/turntables/clearaudio-emotion.asp

As for integrating with a 7.1 system, step away from the MC AV rig and embrace stereo with both hands dude.

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,328
    Another vote for the Tecnodec here. I was on the listening panel for the HiFiChoice Turntable test and it geniunely sounded the best despite being the cheapest there.

Me want one.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As CJROSS says,the Clearaudio is an excellent choice from all points of view,and your other question about cartridges and phono stages making a huge difference is also true...certainly in terms of getting the best out of any given TT and arm...I'm going through trying several phono stages currently,trying to find the best match for the TT/arm/cartridge I have,and finding what a difference there is between any number of apparently identical measuring stages in terms of sound quality and balance.

So far I've tried the Evans Microgroove,the MF XLPSv3 and the Trichord Dino(hence my question to CJROSS),and maybe a few others to follow.

11. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hey Tons, Ive not met many people who have heard the Moth 30 Phono stage, did you like it then ? Seems like a bit of a bargain IMHO. I think the Technodec with Technoarm looks like a fine piece of british engineering FWIW. The Clearaudio under test was the model up from the Emotion IIRC was it not, and the deck the £1450 Martantz was based on.

Anyway Moth 30 stage info Alex in case you ever stumble upon a wonderful bargain like I did :

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/perl/591_printreview.htm
    http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/mothriaa.html

12. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,328
    I'm not hugely experienced in Phono stages CJ but the Moth/Electrocompaniet (now my Electrocompaniet ;)) combo was open and detailed without giving in to letting monster amounts of surface noise through. The Clearaudio deck was (I think) the Champion which is the one up from the entry level Emotion which is what the Marantz TT15 is related to- and is £999 rather than £1499 which makes it better value. The Tecnodec was a revalation though, I was completely unaware that you could get that level of performance for that much less than a grand.

13. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    And it'll probably hold its value much better than a project deck :rolleyes: .

DT

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    TY CJROSS....at the moment it looks very much like the Dino for me,as it's settled in very nicely to my system and matching very well,so I may have to "invest" in the PSU upgrade for that as well!

15. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again for the replies. I'm going to try to sneak out of work early tonight and head to the local hifi shop. Top of my list to look at are the Clearaudio Emotion and the Rega Planar.

edit...

Typical. The day I wanted to leave early, I end up staying until after the shop has closed. Try again tomorrow.

16. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    An update. Due to a small selection available for demoing (they could have ordered anything, but then I'd be buying blind), I ended up buying the Rega Planar 3. Its a tough call to try to compare the sound at home when the old TT is dead, but I have noticed improved clarity and dynamics. So I'm happy. I guess next step would be phono stage, amp and speakers.