New Turntable but what cartridge should I get?

After many years without I have finally bought another TT.

I've got the TT - Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck with carbon spacearm
I've got the phone stage - Trichord Dino

But i have no idea whatsoever about what cartridge to get, can't even decide between MM or MC

I have a budget of about £200

Any suggestions anybody

Thanks for looking

Ian

bogie

Standard Member
Hi Ian,

Not sure about which cartridge for your TT, but I know that MM is more compatible with amp etc, I'm sure MC usually needs another pre-amp or something.

Cheers

bogie said:
Hi Ian,

Not sure about which cartridge for your TT, but I know that MM is more compatible with amp etc, I'm sure MC usually needs another pre-amp or something.

Cheers

Thanks for the response. The trichord phono stage is a pre-amp,

karkus30

Banned
Dynavector 10X4 or DV20 (very nice) or Ortofon Kontapunkt but something like an OC9 would be good if you can afford it. Have a good look round at prices, someone has already suggested a good place for the Dynavector in another thread not long ago (do a search on Dynavector).

http://www.moving-coil-cartridges.com/

have a look here for some advice, Im nothing to do with them, but I did buy a s/h OL arm which is how I found the site.

Paul Williams

karkus30 said:
Dynavector 10X4 or DV20 (very nice) or Ortofon Kontapunkt but something like an OC9 would be good if you can afford it. Have a good look round at prices, someone has already suggested a good place for the Dynavector in another thread not long ago (do a search on Dynavector).

http://www.moving-coil-cartridges.com/

have a look here for some advice, Im nothing to do with them, but I did buy a s/h OL arm which is how I found the site.

That would be Heatherdale Audio whose contact details can be found on

http://www.hifi-stereo.com/

they supply cartridges at good prices and I would also say the Dynavector 10x5 is one of the best allround performers under the £300 mark.

Congrats on the Space deck & carbon arm - great combination.

Paul

CJROSS

Shure V15 VMR – Denon 304 are 2 others to consider.

RobsterD

Hi
I bought the Dynavector 10x5 from Heatherdale Audio and for £200 its very good value,but.................what a pig to fit.High output aswell so no need for mc stepup run it in the mm stage of your pre.
Rob

Paul Williams

Rob Dear said:
Hi
I bought the Dynavector 10x5 from Heatherdale Audio and for £200 its very good value,but.................what a pig to fit.High output aswell so no need for mc stepup run it in the mm stage of your pre.
Rob

Yes its a pain when you throw out the nuts and bolts supplied, only to have to get them back out of the bin because your super quality standard ones don't fit:rotfl:

Paul

alexs2

You could also take a look at the Denon DL103 and similar,plus the Sumiko,and also a couple of the lower priced Ortofons.

Your budget puts you a bit shy of the cheapest of the Lyra range(the Dorian),but as Paul has said,Heatherdale Audio have some excellent offers,and you may find something there.

Thanks to Paul,I went looking for a Dorian,and ended up with an Argo,with which I am very happy,and it works beautifully with the Trichord Dino....on the subject of the Dino,if you don't already have an upgraded PSU,it's well worth putting funds aside for that at some stage,as it really does lift the performance to another level,especially the NC power supply.

Thanks,

For all the advice guys very helpful. given me a good place to start, some of those i had allready looked at (Denon, AT, Ortofon, Lyra) others like the dynavector I hadn't considered.
Must admit was a bit put of the denons (103 & 304) because everything i read said they were a real bitch to get right and to be honest looking for someting a bit more plug & play if that's possible.

Do plan to add the Dino PSU once i've got everything else set up and working.

Biggest problem from my experience years ago is the sound from cartridges is totaly dependent on the deck/arm/stage combo used which makes auditioning almost impossible.

Anyway guys thanks once again for all the advice really helpful.

Regards

Ian

337GUS

Another vote for the Dynavector 10x5

Gus

alexs2

Moving up to something like the DV20X puts you very close to entry level Lyra territory,and would make that a difficult choice,considering how well the Lyra compliments the Dino,but does represent a moderate price hike,unless you were able to buy from one of the sources given above.

My own experience was that in the lower price ranges,the Denons and Dynavectors have little competition as far as MCs go but once you move up in price,things get much more open.

Getting the best out of any decent cartridge will take a bit of time,getting the alignment and VTA correct,and does pay dividends overall.

Well after a very long chat with the guy i bought the spacedeck from, I've made my mind up at last.

I've ordered the Audio Technica OC9 ML/II. At £330 my £200 budget has been well and trully blown, but nothing new there.

One of the deciding factors wat that the deck is currently set up for the OC9 which will save me a lot of time and effort when fitting the cartridge.

Hope I've made the right decision (I'm sure some may disagree) but only time will tell i guess.

Thanks for all the input, it's much appreciated.

Ian

:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom