Question New Turntable Advice

El Bayno

Novice Member
Hi,

I have recently returned Project Classic (with Ortofan Quintet Red MC) as the SoundBox on it developed a fault (played at 38rpm!).

It has damaged my confidence in the model/brand and I am looking to spend my refund money on a replacement. In total I will have a budget of £1000-£1500.

The turntable was a recent upgrade from Project Debut 3. I loved the extra detail I could hear on the classic/quintet though… if I was picky I found it lacked a bit of bass and warmth for my uneducated ears.

I would like to buy something that would be comparable to the classic which will also stretch the other components I have…as I aim to replace those later down the line as my budget allows. The other components I have are….

Project Phono Box USB V Pre Amp

Roksan Kandy Amp MK 3

B&W CDM1 NT SE Speakers

I listen to all types of music but lean towards acoustic/jazz.

Happy to receive all suggestions and to be given direction on the candidates I should consider.

Thanks in advance.

DT79

Clearaudio Concept

El Bayno

Novice Member
Thanks. Yes have had a look at that. I also looked at rega planar 6. My concern with the rega is if I go for MC cartridge I may need to buy a Rega Phono Stage. Does anyone know how the Rega may sound with my existing Project?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
The Marantz TT15S1 is also worth a look, designed by Clearaudio, nice tone arm and comes with a very good Virtuoso mm cartridge. The cartridge can also take the AT VM95 stylus range with a bit of surgery to the plastic on them, ML or SH versions are a good upgrade.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Yes have had a look at that. I also looked at rega planar 6. My concern with the rega is if I go for MC cartridge I may need to buy a Rega Phono Stage. Does anyone know how the Rega may sound with my existing Project?
I don't know that preamp, but I can vouch for the P6 - for me, it's the sweet spot in the Rega range.

if you're concerned about the MC performance of the Project, look at the P6/Exact combination. I have the Ania, but the Exact gets great reports om the P6.

DT79

No your current phono stage supports both MM and MC cartridges.

I don‘t know how it compares to Rega’s offerings, but you don’t need a Rega phono stage. Certainly a phono stage upgrade isn’t something you necessarily need to consider yet.

daddy999

I’d go with the Rega Planar 3 / Ely’s 2. For the money, I’ve not heard better and boy did I try a lot of turntables, some way more expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom