New Tricks: Actors And Writers At War

brian s

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Amanda Redman, Alun Armstrong and Dennis Waterman tell Radio Times the series has become too "bland" and isn't as "anarchic" as it used to be.

"If we felt that a story didn’t work, or that bits of the story could be improved, then – if the writer wasn’t around – we would set about rewriting it ourselves,” said Alun Armstrong.

Stars of New Tricks criticise the show's writers | Radio Times

The writers have responded to the criticism and laughed off claims that the scripts are re-written by the programme's stars.

Responding to the comments, writer Julian Simpson said: "Wait a second... *smells a rat* if certain actors re-wrote the scripts, how come they don't know the lines better?

"I was going to be writing today, instead I'm just going to hand the actors a pad and pen. I wish I'd learned this 15 years ago."

He continued: "A New Tricks I wrote and directed airs on Monday. I can tell you EXACTLY how much of it the actors wrote: not a :censored: comma."

'New Tricks' writers hit back at cast script criticism: "W**kers" - TV News - Digital Spy

Oh dear. I wonder if we'll get another series next year.

:laugh:
Bri

I think it's all suspiciously close to the launch of a new season and is more about drumming up headlines than any real animosity.

Regards

Mark

Or maybe actors attempting to get out of their contracts. I can't see the actors complaining on how poor the show is bringing in extra viewers. It is past it's sell by date regardless of the quality of the writing.

Bri

This is what happened to Taggart - the scripts get weaker.
Brian Lane was one of the best crime characters ever and for one like that the writers and actors must work together which clearly hasn't been happening for a long time.

Sorry Redwing I missed this post. I saw a link for this story when I first googled to get the links for the thread but it had been deleted when I attempted to access it.

Bri

NPs mate .

its just a shame as its not a show i go crazy over but I do enjoy it. I spose we can judge the events themselves this week in this series to see if its gone downhill.

NPs mate .

its just a shame as its not a show i go crazy over but I do enjoy it. I spose we can judge the events themselves this week in this series to see if its gone downhill.

I really enjoyed it when it started but it's past it's sell by date. To be fair I don't think either the actors or the writers can do much to save this one.

Bri

Good actors with little to do in the new episode.

It didn't quite work did it?

Bri

agreed, it actually felt like it was reflecting the stories in the media.

I noted that they kicked off with the Titles first, rather than the "Jack The Ripper" opening.

An odd episode altogether.

agreed, it actually felt like it was reflecting the stories in the media.

I noted that they kicked off with the Titles first, rather than the "Jack The Ripper" opening.

An odd episode altogether.

For me it felt a little like one of those Who Do You Think You Are episodes.

Bri

I thought this weeks ep was the best of the season so far. But then I'm always a sucker for a femme fatale. But New Tricks has always been only so so.

Regards

Mark

The cast were on the One Show tonight and I have to say they were brilliant. They alluded to the problems with the writers. It's worth a watch. I was going to post an i-player link but that just has a coming soon message.

Bri

The cast were on the One Show tonight and I have to say they were brilliant. They alluded to the problems with the writers. It's worth a watch. I was going to post an i-player link but that just has a coming soon message.

Bri

Yes it was very entertaining

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom