1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New toy questions..

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mrv, May 21, 2003.

1. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well just gone and ordered the 37" Panasonic together with a Denon 1803 and Kef Eggs system (KHT2005). Good price - £3455 all in at Audio-T

Not completely sure about the 1803 - depends if I get affected by lip sync issues but I can do an upgrade within 30 days to soemthing more expensive (3803??) but I wanted to save some pennies to upgrade my DVD.

Intend connecting:

DVD Component -> 1803
    NTL -> JS RGB-Component ->1803
    1803 -> Plasma (Component In)
    VHS - > Plasma composite

I'm connecting it this way becaue I think(??) that I want the Just mode that I won't get if I go in via VGA. Would dearly love to try both ways before deciding but can't justify getting the JS RGB-VGA box only to decide it's not what I want (whilst I'm fairly sure I can live with situation the other way round).

So now I have to order the JS box. Expect an order soon good Dr. (Hopefully I'll get it before the Plasma arrives!!)

Only have to decide where the panel is being located - on a stand or on the wall. Wifey has objections about the various wall options I have presented her with. So for now it will be on a stand.

So my first question (maybe of many in the future) relates to he desktop stand for the Plasma. Again, don't want to buy one (what more penny saving!!) and then have to get rid. I've not seen the stand in the flesh but imagine it to be two large pins (about 25mm diameter?) on a base. This, allied with a suitable belt and braces strap bolted to the wall mounting fixings on the back of the panel should be eough for me to rig something temporarily whilst we get a decision on final resting home. So - can anybody give me some accurate measurements from a stand for the 37" panel - pin diameter, distance between centres and length.

Then all I've got to do is make up some good emough cables for now - again until final placement is decided.

Oh.. and she must have teletext. Another thread suggested poor teletext performance with the Avermedia box - maybe look at the ProV+.

Stand by for more questions. And don't be too harsh if you think I'm doing something wrong but if you do I would like to know.

2. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I can understand your reasons for using the Denon 1803 to switch your video sources. I opted for the Telewest cable -> VGA using the John Sim converter - I was determined to have the DVD player (Arcam DV88+) directly to component IN on the plasma. I haven't actually seen the effect of using an amp as a video switcher but I have very 'fussy' eyesight when it comes to PQ and I wanted top PQ with the Arcam.

Next, the stand - I have the stand for the 42" plasma, and I suspect there's a possibility it's the same as the 37". When I get home tonight I'll take a few measurements. I'll be getting rid of the stand soon as I'm wall-mounting the plasma in my new house. I haven't used any bracing or fixings, when the plasma's on the stand it's very stable.

3. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Only a few hours since I ordered it and already I've changed my mind (must be my feminine side :laugh: ) on how I'm going to connect it all.

Contrary to earlier post I've decided to run NTL into VGA via the JS RGB->VGA box. DVD now straight into the plasma on component. No component switching on the 1803 for now. If I (wife) don't get on without the Just mode then I will have to revert to Plan A.

Anyway, I'm sure if that's the case that I'll be able to sell a little used, mint JS RGB->VGA box on the classifieds and not loose too much wonga.

4. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK dumb question...

I assume, given my recently changed connection decision thus:

DVD -> Component -> Plasma
    NTL -> RGB2VGA ->Plasma VGA
    VHS -> Plasma Composite

and audio for all sources via the 1803....

that every time the video source is changed (using the Pansonic remote) that the Audio source will also need to be changed via the 1803 remote. I know it's a stupid question but just need to make sure (i.e. no clever Audio switching on the 1803 etc).

Don't bother me much but eldest son (23+... probably older than may of you guys - why's he still living here??) had a bit of a moan - too much like hard work.

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Several receivers have programmable remotes though I don't think the 1803 does. So yes you would need to go the the huge lengths of pressing two remote buttons! Unless, you (and I think you'll like this) buy 'him' an early b'day gift multi remote - such as a Pronto - and key in the command codes to match up for the different devices. For example, selecting a source for the pana changes the Denon's audio input selection too. Everyone wins as it'll make it easier for the wife too and help pacify the spend.

6. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pacify the spend..... Still not quite sure if it's all sunk in with her yet. Just wait till the next round of silent treatment

But thanks for reply. Most of the day surfing the forum had started to point me in the direction of the Pronto (or the One 4 All Mosaic). Like the idea, very wife friendly, hide all the other remotes and save yet more space.

Kazuya...

Any luck with those stand measurements. It looks like the one I really need is the diameter of the pin. Anybody with a panasonic (with or without stand) know what size pin you can stick in the base??

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont know where the old get ya plasma out thread is gone but there is a few photos and measurements of the base on there.

if not try searching the www.avsforum.com for pics and sizes

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If memory serves the stand is the same for the 42/50 but dif for the 37.

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    I've got an old series 4 panny with the pedistal stand. It is the same stand for all sizes, just pit the uprights in different holes on the base.

Distance between uprights: 601mm/23.75 inches

Attached Files:

10. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, another question for you good folk...

I assume that if I grab hold of an Avia test disk (via the powerbuy if there's still any left) that all I'm gonna do is set the panel up for an NTSC signal. As all of my DVD's are currently R2 PAL this will not help much - correct??

If so, what do you guys do about setting up for PAL other than save up for an ISF visit from Gordon.

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Avia is an NTSC disk, but the plasma setup is the same for NTSC and PAL, as long as you use the same input. Different inputs do have separate setup.

Mark.

12. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark,

Thanks, it's just that in this post that chats about Gordon and ISF it indicates that the settings are different for 480i, 480p, 576i and 576p. This would therefore be in addition to the differences in settings between different inputs. So if I use Avia outputting 480 (i or p) I will be adjusting the settings for only NTSC and not PAL.

Or am I reading/understanding it wrong??

Mike

13. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have one feed (component) driving my plaz.
    with 2 sources switched by the amp.
    dvd 625P & sky 625i
    they both have there own brightness/contrast tint etc
    settings within the plazy menus.

hope this helps clarify.

14. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Still a little unclear. Having looked again through the old threads, particularly this one by Stoomonster, and bearing in mind the other replies here (in particular what Mark said) then...

what is the situation with AViA. Although I accept that the settings are different for each input are they definely different as well for NTSC and PAL on each input. If so. what is the chosen (pre ISF) method of setting up for PAL.

Mike

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,517
    mrv

Just be very careful with your 'belt and braces' fixings into the hanging slots - there are indents in the rear panel that you may have to bridge and you dont want to screw a long set of bolts too far into the display; your penny pinching could result in a cracked glass panel!!!

Best regards

Joe

16. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joe,

Thanks for the warning.

Fortunately I run a Mechanical Design Office and have access to all the bits and bobs I will need to do a proper job. The plan at the moment is to make a custom desk stand raised sufficiently so that my Egg centre fits OK below the panel without impinging on the viewing area. Fixings on the back may only be used now for bracing - fixed by wires back to the wall to prevent the panel toppling over (just a bit paranoid about it ending up on the floor).

Mike

17. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding 525 & 625 dvd's.

ive noticed even when i play a ntsc 525 dvd.
    The signal that is sent to the plazy is 625.
    therefore the denon dvd player must convert it to pal
    before outputting.

Well thats what appears to be happening
    with this player.

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,517
    mrv

If you do a search over on AVS Forums you should find a thread about manufacturing custom stands for the Panasonic displays.

One guy in the US built an excellent set that some people eventually bought from him - the guy was a bit paranoid about everyone stealing his ideas; though I'm sure he has no plans to export to the UK so maybe if you contact him he will help out.

He 'turned' a set of excellent looking tall 'bullets' that were based upon the spigots Panasonic use to attach the pedestal to the display - he simply slotted these up through his table top and the plasma simply 'floats' above the table with his centre channel sitting neatly below it.

Best regards

Joe

19. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joe,

Thanks. Have found some useful bits on the avsforums.

And another thanks to Dr John. Posted cheque on Thursday for RGB->VGA box. Package arrived today (Saturday). Excellent service!! Now if only I had something to coonect it too.

Mike

20. Zippster

Zippster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i have a brand new panny 37/42" pedestal stand for sale if anyones interested please PM me ;)

21. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem with the JS RGB->VGA box is that on the PC and RGB inputs to your Panny you lose your Colour control and Auto Aspect ( This is mentioned in the Panny user guide). I am faced with the same problem now, and am uncertain whether to use the JS RGB->S-Video instead.

22. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Zippster,

At the moment I'm still undecided about the final location for my Panasonic - wall or stand. And if it goes on the stand it might be a custom job that allows for good positioning of my centre Egg. But if I do decide to go for the standard Panasonic pedestal stand I will put a wanted in the classifieds and let you know - if you've still got it.

Mike

23. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Now, in preperation for the arrival of the plasma, does anybody have any advise which they would like to share on a sort of "do this steps 1 - 10" type basis. Or is the manual and setup fairly self explanatory (that'll be a first).

Obvious things should be omitted from any list (ie. Point 1 - Connect cables, Point 2 - Power Up :laugh: )and I am aware from reading the posts that the contrast and brightness needs to be throttled back and it needs a good run-in (100 - 200 hours) before things settle down. About the first thing I need to look for are stuck or dead pixels (is there some sort of R/G/B screen that can be displayed to look for dead 'uns?).

And that when I have saved enough money I should consider getting it ISF'd.

But are there any other things that are important not to overlook that are not that obvious (especially easy to overlook when excitedly playing with the new toy).

AViA disk on the way to help with setup.

Any advice appreciated.

Mike

24. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anybody??

25. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr V,

firstly out of the box dont be dissapointed.
    the factory settings will make you want to cry.
    oh know thoudsands of pounds and this is it.

Ive had mine a few weeks now and am still fine tuning.
    and learning what a few of the non standard tweaks actally do.

A THX setup dvd disk is your first stop.
    this will allow you to set cont/brght/colour.

i personally dont use the digital noise reduction option.
    this seems to cause horrid smearing on motion images.

also you will get a power option. how hard the display is being driven. known as power mode on the pioneer.
    on stardard its way to bright. ok for airports. but the
    image looks horrible to grainy. i run mine on the least
    power. power mode 2. you see far more detail.
    at first you may be reluctant to use this setting as it all looks
    dimmer. but after a while your see the benefits.

26. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A smile from ear to ear.....

The little beauty has arrived (unexpectedly - did'nt think it would be here until next week). First problem - lack of cables.

All the component and VGA cables had arrived (from Van Damme) but my speaker wiring (ordered last Monday from another supplier) only had a delivery of next Tuesday - I can't wait that long - cancelled order and went to Audio-T in Camberley and bought some.

And now a plug for the good guys at the Audio-T Camberley branch. Just walked in off the street, bought some cable, enquired about the Panny pedestal stand (because I'm making a custom one - only not got there yet). The guys only gone and lent me a stand. Good one - great service. Will definetely go back there again (Oh yeah, got to take the stand back).

Anyway situation to date - no sound yet, not got round to wiring things up - but the picture - cor blimey guv it's great and I've not even begun to do the tuning up yet (AViA disk arrived today as well from Piero).

Picture from DVD is from my soon to be replaced Tosh 110 and I have to say that even this is pretty damn good. Can't wait for it to be even better - thinking about getting the Harmon Kardon DV25 with NTSC and PAL prog. scan.

Connected up NTL via the JS RGB->VGA box and must say I am pleasently surprised by the general quality. OK some channels better than others but on the whole there's not anything much to be upset about.

Noise from the panel.. Well I'm sat about two feet away from it and at times it sounds like a baby cricket might be trapped inside but at viewing distance it's no problem at all.

And although I thought I might miss it, the absence of Just aspect mode when going in via VGA has already passed me by.

Conclusions thus far - Phew, money well spent.