new toy - finally decided about PWD8!!

D

daffy

I'm sure that you have all heard this before, but I am over-excited 'cos I just took delivery of my new PWD8. Up till 2 this morning setting everything up - and its fantastic. :clap:

Very nearly spent a great deal more on an HD Ready TV, and so thank you to everyone who answered my queries, and all the good advice on other threads.

Especially to HornyDragon, who is both the biggest fan of PWD8's and AV-sales (where I bought from in the end, and thanks to them as well, a great service) I have ever encountered, but it was all very informative and convincing stuff- just sorry I forgot to press the Thanks button on all of your threads!!! :blush:

No sleep now for days as I go through my film collection!! A bit different to the 28" CRT I had before!!

Richard

BTW, am I the only one who is a bit suspicious about the 16 year old with £40 000 to spend on B & O equipment? :D

Congrats on your purchase Richard, good choice of screen :) you will enjoy.

16 year old, £40k to spend.....can't even think about it :(

Great, glad you like it :)

I'm thinking of asking the 16year old with 40K to spend if he'll take my hand in marraige. That might be considered grooming by the mods though, possibly against the rules.

my suspicious mind was more in the area of he'd walked past a B & O shop on his way to his shift at MacDonalds, but like I say, I'm cynical :eek:

I have a friend who has some huge B & O screen in his Hufhaus (you know, those metal and glass things on Grand Designs) and to be honest, for the price he paid, I think you could do a lot better. Apperently you have the B & O stuff built in by the Huf people as they screw your house together.

And to be honest, on the looks front, a big glass rectangle is a big glass rectangle isn't it? B & O audio stuff (and those phones - Wow) can look very good, but telly's? Not sure.

I seem to have hijacked my own thread...

Daffy,

Before buying your plasma (congrats btw), did you manage to compare it against the Hitachi 7200 by any chance? As I've finally narrowed it down to these two screens. I've seen the Hitachi against the Panny pv500/ Pio 436 and as brilliant as they are, I thought the Hitachi to be of better value to me but I've never had a chance to look at the PWD8. I wanted to go to AV Sales but Kent is a bit far for me just for a demo.

Any advice would be great as I've been itching to buy a tv since December and I'm starting to go mad deciding between different models and debating between plasma or rear projection.

Cheers,

Amar.

I'm afraid I did not look at the Hitachi.

I had already been convinced by both Panasonic and Pioneer as the 'best' TV's (I was originally looking at PV500 and the Pio 436XDE).

After some thought about why I needed HD (I didn't) and the fact I have a PVR and [good, hopefully] av system, I decided a panel was the best way forward, and it seems that the general consensus was that the PWD8 was the best available, especially considering the price you can get them for.

As I understand it, the PWD8 is the panel used in the PE50, so if you looked at one of these, it would give you an idea of the PWD8. The PWD8 is just thinner and with less 'frame' - it fits really well in my comparatively small house (I was a bit concerned it was going to look huge), and the picture quality seems to be better than the PE50 to me (beware, subjectivity alert!).

Personally, I don't think the PV500 or the Pio 436 are worth it unless you are going to go down the route of Sky HD. 'Normal' TV going to HD is a long way off, I think.

Hope that helps

That does help as I saw the PE50 and really liked it. Only thing that put me off was the lack of connections as I want to connect my new media centre pc to it. I could always get the input boards seperately for the PWD8 right?

Time for another trip down to the dealer and compare the 7200 to a PE50 then.

Thanks for the advice mate.

Amar - if you like the 7200 and can afford the extra £300 it will cost then I'm sure you will be happy with it. If you saw it against the other 2 HD ready screens and it still won your appreciation then I think you have made up your mind.

The plus points appear to be that it has a reportedly great picture, is HD Ready and more importantly at the moment the price has plummeted making it appear an even more attractive option.

Only down side I can see is from seeing a few posts here about them having buzzy power supplies. Seems to be a known "feature" but that is the only occasionally reported fault I've noted.

Thanks Phil, much appreciated.

You are most probably right but I'll probably just check it out once more for that extra peace of mind because I know if I don't, I'll always be asking myself the 'what if...' question. The PE50, I think, is great (although I initially preferred the 7200 but didn't do much of a comparison at the time) and if the PWD8 is the same thing in another case, I better check it out side by side with the Hitachi just to make sure (if you know what I mean).

I'm just glad I've managed to eliminate so many other screens, including rear projection, and narrowed it down to just two.

As I said earlier, it's driving me crazy. All I want is a new tv.

I also have to admit. So far, I haven't found anything to be quite as good as the Panny PD30 CRT that I'm currently using when it comes to everyday tv use and only the PE50 and 7200, along with the pv500/ pio436xde, have been equal/slightly better to it with SD dvd.

Here's a silly suggestion. If you want to get some idea of what the PWD will look like, pop into a large Tesco store (if you are struggling to find a demo). They make liberal use of the PWD6 all over their stores and will give you some idea of what the PWD8 is like. Have also heard that Richers do the PWD8 as well and have seen reports here of folks saying they have them on display close to if not side by side with the likes of the 7200.

Nice thing about the PWD8 over the PE50 is that it can display HDCP Encrypted HD whereas the PE50 can't. You can buy an HDMI board at some point in the future should you decide that HD is something you want to take advantage of. For the time being the PE50 will do the HD over component.

Tesco abuse their plasmas horribly, not at all representative

What UKseless said. :rolleyes:

I was about to mention the HDMI capability - altho' I am not entirely sure about the ability to handle input at 50Hz or 60Hz - however the context of that escapes me somewhat!

The PWD8 comes with composite, S-video inputs as standard, and a 'PC board' with standard connnections to hook it up as your monitor.

There are two empty slots for inputs as you need them. I have a component board, leaving space for an HDMI board if I feel the need.

In the space of two days I have of course become bias, but I don't want to push something just because I now have it. This is where you have to see things before we buy, and be happy with what your eyes are telling you.

It then puts people's opinions in the context of your own experience.

Some of the threads I have read on here (especially Panny vs Pioneer 'discussions') would suggest there is a certain amount of dogma develops - I hope I don't start doing that!!

choddo2006 said:
Tesco abuse their plasmas horribly, not at all representative

Which is just the point. In the store near me they get 24 hours a day abuse and they still look pretty good, not brilliant but given the light conditions, hours of use etc etc. Also, for those who really want to see these screens, there's not much choice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom