New Tower PC required

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by spiidey1979, Aug 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. spiidey1979

spiidey1979
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need to replace my ageing tower PC.

Requirements:-

2 x DVI output (2 monitors that have DVI and VGA input)
    Photoshop editing capability to intermediate level (Corel Paint Shop Pro both
    Basic video editing with Windows Movie Maker

Budget £400 max (hopefully cheaper)
    Cannot seem to find any tower PCs with 2 x DVI output

Have previously built a PC (2007) but would prefer now to buy one already built.

Also need a version of MS office, not sure what to do with this - whether to go for 2010, 2013 or 2016.

Finally, will need files transferred from old tower PC to new tower PC, probably going to use Currys/PC World for this as existing tower PC would switch on but monitor just displays blank image.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    You won't find a PC supporting two copies of a legacy connection like that.

However, HDMI was built off DVI and uses the same video standard so HDMI to DVI cables/adapters generally work fine. DisplayPort outputs also typically support Dual Mode which means they can also output DVI or HDMI with cheap passive adapters/cables.

There's no point going for an old version of office.

If a 2007 PC has satisfied your requirements up until now then you're not going to need anything in particular from the new one. A mainstream processor like a Ryzen, Pentium Gold or i3, 8GB of memory and an SSD if the space isn't an issue.

I would just pull your old hard drive out of your current PC and put it in a USB enclosure, assuming it's not encrypted or anything. Cheaper and more reliable than Currys, and you can use it as a second back-up once you've transferred stuff.

3. spiidey1979

spiidey1979
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I've gone for a tower with 2 x HDMI out.

ACER XC-885 Intel® Core™ i3 Desktop PC - 1 TB HDD, Black

I now need two hdmi male to dvi female adapters.

I've attached pictures of the port on the back of the monitor, and current dvi to dvi cable I have.

Is there any specific hdmi to dvi adapter I should use? Got a bit confused when I looked on Amazon and it had the following (final pic)

Attached Files:

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    You might find yourself a little short of memory with that, but it looks like it's socketed so you can replace it with higher capacity sticks when required.

DVI-I is a combo plug for DVI-D and the rarely used analogue DVI-A, so I'm not sure what the graphic is trying to convey.

Presumably 'our product is better than our competitors because we support DVI-I and DVI-A cables', despite the fact that HDMI can't output a DVI-A signal. Normal amazon marketplace seller behaviour, confuse the customer until they give up and buy something, anything!

It looks like the HDMI ports on that desktop are very close together horizontally so you will need an adapter on a short lead like that one. It might be less bulky to buy DVI to HDMI cables.

Seeing your pictures I should have mentioned that HDMI outputs only support single link DVI which means higher resolution DVI monitors won't work without a more expensive active adapter. Fortunately you're using a single link cable already so you're fine there.