1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Total Recall picture quality

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by cityonfire, Jun 13, 2005.

1. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i just got the great looking tin edition(R2) of Total Recall. Great film but crap picture :eek: :mad: :thumbsdow

I compared it to my older version which is also R2 and came in the Schwarzenegger collection boxset. You know the four film one with Raw Deal, Read Heat and the so bad its funny Red Sonja. And low and behold the picture on the older version is way better. Dont get me wrong the old version had quite a bit of grain but it was watchable. But the new disc is just so grainy its unbelivable :eek:

Just goto chapter 3 where arnie is being lowered back in to the chair at Recall and the difference is shocking. And this was me just looking quickly on the 28" widescreen i have and not my main system. I feel sorry for the guys with projectors who try and watch this. I have never seen any of the R1 versions or the region 2 JAP version. Do any of these have much better picture. Or is it just a case of the studio not caring and not giving it the transfer it deserves :confused:

On a lighter not i still love Rob Bottins special FX. That guy has done some amazing stuff in his day :thumbsup:

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks for the warning. :smashin:

I already have this and was tempted by the swish packaging. But the version I have is very watchable albeit showing its age - if it's worse than that then I'm glad I didn't bother...PJ :)

3. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the french spec ed dvd has a wmv-hd version on it and is worth seeking out its a shame the full nc-17 version of the film may never be seen

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i've got the r1 circular tin and i wasn't overly impressed by the picture. thought it was pretty soft. whats the r2 tin look like?

5. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    dvdmike,

Do you have any more details on the edition with the wmv-hd?

does it have an english audio track?

Can't find it on amazon.fr

Thanks,

Ian Guinan

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
  7. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    oh great :thumbsdow

bought the r2 ltd tin yesterday - still in wrapper thank god!!

will take it back if pq is rubbish :suicide:

ps just had a look on dvd compare and they rate this edition as one of the best :confused: so has original poster got a bad copy??

8. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    If it's a better transfer than the Artisan R1 (I believe the same transfer was used for the previous budget R2 as well) then it can't be that bad...

9. BrunnenMatt

BrunnenMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD Compare rates DVD's by specs not quality of transfer. Maybe the Beaver may compare prints soon.

...BMatt

10. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Sorry to dive in here and detract from Total Recall, but does anyone know if the Running Man is available on DVD in a good form? The only release Ive seen is a straight to dvd from vhs port with mono sound! (couldnt believe MVC wanted more than £5 for that).

Cheers

Dan

11. allanp

allanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    The region 1 special edition is pretty damn good and can be picked up cheap as well.

12. BrunnenMatt

BrunnenMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree with "allanp" here, Anamorphic and DTS-ES.

I own this edition and I am very happy with it, not many good extras regarding the movie unfortunately.

...BMatt

13. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 106inch screen ( Panasonic AE700 Projector ) and i also have the region 1 tinbox version of Total Recall and think the picture quality is not nearly as bad as many are describing it here, its perfectly watchable and i have seen a lot worse than this one, i would agree a new transfer and a new soundmix would be great but its still perfectly watchable.

14. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Got this, watch some of it last night. the pictures not bad, sure it could be sharper but is perfectable aceptible. I dont have the R1 but reckon its the same one since its has the special feaures of the R1.

15. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
  16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Marv

Good link, bit disapointed that the WMV HD version doesnt look that much better than the SD version. :(

17. Ger

Ger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    It looks like this film will never look great on any format!

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Damm shame, I remember seeing this film on the opening night at the Odeon Leceister Square. It blew me away. For me that night still ranks as a great cinema experiance. :D

Is the master really that bad or will a Blue Ray/HD-DVD version finally do the movie justice. :confused:

19. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i finally got off my lazy ass and got the R1 Artisan version :thumbsup: And boy im glad i did :) god knows why i did not but this version first :suicide:

Well what can i say but i did not know the Dolby Digital track was so bad on the R2 version also. The example i will give is when the movie starts with the CAROLCO logo with the theme tune playing straight away. Well the R2 sound stage is very front speaker heavy with very little sound from the rears. Infact it sounds very centre speaker heavy, almost mono really. Then i tried the R1 WOW :eek: straight away the difference blew me away :clap: The sound stage just sounded me. The music it sounds so good now with a fantastic bass. I had to put the R2 back on just to make sure i was not hearing things. But low and behold it just sounded even worse now :( My two R2 versions will now never ever be played again for their crap picture and sound again

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Does anyone know of a good Running Man release?

:)

21. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The R1 S.E only £8.99 at cd-wow

22. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Does anybody know why the new R2 release is only 16:9/1.77:1 when the previous R2 release (French version) was framed in a 1.85:1 ratio? Given that I was taken in years ago by the Star Wars VHS widescreen adverts, I like to feel like I'm getting full value out of my film experience and I've just lost a chunk of Total Recall :)

According to IMDB it was intended to be framed in a 1:85 ratio so why have they felt compelled to pan and scan it for the supposedly special edition?

Now thinking that the R1 SE version for half the price of the R2 SE version on CD-WOW was the way to go here...

Cheers,

Colin

23. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    On most W/S TV's you can hardly tell the difference between 1.85:1 & 16:9/1.77:1 ratio due to overscan. There's very little in it anyway and I'm pretty sure that the film won't have been 'pan & scan'ed in the same way a 2.35:1 movie would be to fill a 16:9 or 4:3 screen!

24. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    True, I was just being picky :) At the end of the day it is a small difference in visible area. It is strange though. The film was shot full frame at 1.37 then matted down to it's widescreen ratio of 1.85:1 which is what the previous widescreen releases so far be it theatrical or on DVD have been framed in. The fact that the US SE was in 1.85 too made be even more curious why they dropped it to 1.77 specifically for this release when a 1.85 print already existed. It's not like it's gone through an extensive remastering process.

Nonetheless, I watched the full film last night and regardless of ratio, I can't say I enjoyed it any less than the first time I watched it years ago!

Cheers,

Colin

25. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    R1 S.E only £4.99 at MovieTyme.

26. BrunnenMatt

BrunnenMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Running Man from Region 1 is great, it's a shame about the extras not beieg about the movie. DTS soundtrack sounds fantastic for this movie, Its no 'Lord Of The Rings' :nono: but a great track for an oldier movie, and the picture is great.

Bad news regarding the R2 disc of Total Recall, nice package but bad A/V. :confused:

...BMatt

27. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Is the verdict 'Region 1' for Total Recall SE?

28. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the new R2 version....people are right...for a special edition it should have been better...but I found the pq improves after the beginning of the film....the commentry is a bit of a let down, Arnie seems to be just doing the bare minimum whilst the director over does it

29. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I heard the same reviews - not that great in terms of extras - I have ordered the SE Region1 for £5. I hope the picture quality is reasonable too!

30. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    What about the WMV HD version?? the picture does look more detailed but what about the sound.