1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Toshiba SD900E problems ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by carrera2rs, Jun 22, 2002.

1. carrera2rs

carrera2rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just recieved my Toshiba SD900E with all the bells and whistles for £699 and had the chance to try it in comparison to a very cheap DVD of a friends in his system just to see if I could see how it performed (Knowing it will need my projector set up when i get it to see the real benefits)

The comparison was with cheap scart lead stright into a 3-4 year old Sony 30" trnitron.

Moulin Rouge showed the following

Colours and contrast better on the Tosh

Overall diffrerences not substantial, actually quite subtle (Not sure I expected a lot given the circumstances.

The real concern was horizontal lines being evident on the whites on moving parts (freezeframe and they went). It looked like the white area was made up of clear stripes very close together. This effect was not there on the very cheap comparison (£100, never heard of the name player).

Has anyone any ideas ?

I am a little concened as I will probably not get the system together for a few months (Cash) and don't want to start having problems then with no SD900's left etc, etc.

I might be wrong is it just clearer on a crap telly, needs adjustment straight out of the box ?

If anyone lives on Hertfordshire (I live in Berkhamsted) and would be happy to borrow, compare this machine to another I would be very interested and grateful.

Adrian

:(

2. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I also just recevied my Tosh 900E from Leading Edge yesterday and so far I'm very impressed. The improvement in picture quality over my Tosh 100E (using RGB on my 56" Tosh RP) is more noticeable than I expected. The picture looks more detailed and 'solid'. I didn't notice the problem with horizontal lines you mentioned. I'll give Moulin Rouge a spin tonight to see if I can spot any problems.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    carrera2rs,
    The SD900e is a fantastic player.
    I've seen it working with Moulin Rouge R2, couldn't say I noticed any problems. The colours are brilliant I agree.

4. carrera2rs

carrera2rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

Thanks for the response, I'm gonna try the player against another player over the next few days, if I can.

Don't suppose you live near Herts ?

Just bought a Yamaha AX1, lookin at speakers tomorrow. Then it's only the projector left to get !!! Hoorah home cinema here we come !!

Adrian

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Why compare.It's your player that shows ''horizontal lines being evident on the whites on moving parts'' another comparison won't alter that.If you suspect it's not performing as it should why not return it to the vendor?

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The vendor only had one left on thursday.