1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new (?) Toshiba RPTVs in Currys?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Loada, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    My local Curry's (Stockton, Teesside) is doing a deal (until Tuesday) of the following:

Toshiba 42PW33P TV + SD-43HK (DVD/5.1 speaker kit) £999

Toshiba 42PH38P TV (5.1, 100hz?) £1299

I don't recognise the model numbers, the first one seems to be the new version of the PW23P, with the new silver finish. It's a pretty good bundle deal by the looks.

The second looks to me to be the 42WH36P but Currys have it marked on their cards (and on their promotional "flyers") as a 42WH38P?

Is the 42WH38P a new upcoming model or have they made a mistake with the model numbers, mixing up an 8 with a 6? This is not unusual with the little "price tags" but it's on their promotional material too?

I'd be interested if anyone knows anything more about this?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the cheaper one has Component and is Progressive Scanning, and is 50hz. I remember seeing one with these two missing from the sales broucheres. But I guess the brochures could be wrong.

3. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The 42WP33P looked to be a 50hz set and according to one of the staff-muppets, WAS progressive scan. I've just looked on the French and German Toshiba websites and that model is shown as 50hz WITHOUT progressive scan - which would tie in with it being the 2003 refit of the 42WP23P model.

As for the 42WH38P set they're advertising, there's no sign of it on the European sites, only the 42WH36P, so I'm assuming it's a printing error on all of their "official" pricing documents. Fools.

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I think the 42wh38 Is the 42WH36P but with DolbY digital instead of Nicam.. other then that I assume they are the same.. I think the '38 is a valid model... Toshiba usually denote the chassis type by the last two letters... and 38 shares this with the PF2 (36ZP38).. so it all ties in...

A quick check of the menu would confirm.. as the new menu is all nice colours, and you can see the picture mode has 'progress' indicating its prog scan. I was in Currys yesterday and they too had both those sets in, but I couldn't find a remote to check...

I don't know what Tosh are playing at releasing new products without keeping the website upto date.. blatant marketing move to enable all the old sets to be flogged no doubt...

5. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does the WH36 have 'Active' as a picture mode as well as 'progress'. I'm assuming it does as the sets are being marketed with 'Active' processing.

The reason I say this is that while looking at the WH38 myself in curries (and I hadn't heard of that model either!) I couldn't see this mode.... only 'Natural' as an alternative.

I'm after a WH36 meself but would love a dolby digital version... so I hope the 38 is one of these as DEMON suggests.

Anyone shed any light on this ?

DEMON - what are the picture modes available on your/your brothers WH36?

ta

:)

6. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Pic modes for wh36 series are ACTIVE/NATURAL/100Hz/PROGRESS

The WH36 series are active vision, and the menu's are manily orange in colour (If I remeber rightly, with lots of colourful icons, the older chassis menu is more muted colours, greys etc..

As for Dolby Digital.. well I would never go for integrated, unless the PQ is better... and the reasons.. My last tv had integrated DD, and I never ever used it, since I had the amp/speakers, which are far superior...

1. You can buy much better after marker solutions, for little money, and since there has been a veritable explosion of all in one DVD/Surround packages, and Amp/Speaker packages, which offer more, it only makes sense to go down this route.. You often find that the integrated Dolby Dig sets start you on the road to surround sound, but you soon want more.. and end up getting seperates anyway.

2. Some of the sets (Toshiba included) only support DOlby Digital, and do not have DPLII, or DTS... which is a real shame.. (There are one or two sets that have DTS/DPLII, but these are in the minority).

As an example, there is the SONY HTK range...
    Example

or something more traditional..
    Another example

There are loads to choose from..

7. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Did anyone decide if this was a good buy?

I can't see it on their website ??

8. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Well if the pw33 has a lack of component sockets then I think its a bad buy.. the PW23 would be better, although considering the price of the 42WH36 I'd have to say this might be better if you are starting from scratch.

As for the WH38.. with dolby digital.. I think not, it seems to be the 'non' active vision older chassis, so doesn't have progressive scan. I tried one in Curry's and it looks like a 42wt29 in a different cabinet..

As for my 'focus' issue.. it's much better now.. It must have been condensation on one of the lenses... it was peeing it down the day they delivered it, and the box look slightly damp, due to the van 'leaking'...

The focus is very uniform now, which seems an improvement over my 50wh18, but it is certainly more revealing then my 50wh18, which is good for DVD's or a decent SKY transmission, but can a bit too revealing for some sky channels, although I am sure it won't take long to get used to it..