1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Toshiba Progressive Scan TVs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by carsten_f, May 14, 2002.

1. carsten_f

carsten_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just received the new Toshiba catalogue in the mail.

It lists three new models, the Atrium 36ZD26P, 32ZD26P and 28ZD26P (first two digits are size in inches).

The 36" and 32" sets look very good.

Features according to the catalogue are:
    - Progressive Scan
    - Progressive Motion
    - DFS 100 Pro
    - Component Video In (YUV)
    - capable of displaying progressive scan from a dvd player

Unfortunately, the sets are so new that the Toshiba-Internet-Site appears not to have been updated and I could only find one dealer carrying the 32" model.

The catalogue unfortunately does not answer the all-important question - can it display PAL Progressive Scan from DVD? Or only NTSC? Will it accept Progressive Scan through RGB - this would be important if you want to connect a PC - I believe VGA to RGB is not too difficult.

Has anyone seen one of the new TVs or can answer one of the above questions?

Regards
    Carsten.

2. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    carsten: are there any new projection-TV:s in the catalogue? Do they have a progressive scan feature and/or accept progressive scan from a DVD-player?

3. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also interested in this TV,so if you find anywhere thats got one on display let me know what you think.Been in comet a few times looking for it,but no joy so far.Comet have it on their stock list but the salesman did'nt know it would be delivered to the shop.

johnski

5. McPastry

McPastry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er, I've read through the manuals and there's no mention of progressive scan. Are you sure this info is correct? Please god let it be so!

6. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    The manual isn't a great help.

It describes Progressive mode as being most suitable for NTSC.

From the looks of things I'd say it accepts only interlaced signals and has an internal de-interlacer to display a progressive signal rather than accepting a progressive signal, with a strong possibility that it only works properly on NTSC signals.

It does have Component inputs though

Mark

7. McPastry

McPastry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry scratch that just found it. Question still remains if this is true prog scan or just a picture twiddle though

8. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    The Toshiba site is hopeless for new product listings,for instance,the SD220 has been on sale for over 2 months and its still not on their website.:confused:

9. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It is most likely a "true" progressive scan since some earlier models has had a line doubler and Toshiba have never called that "progressive scan". It would be nice if it could do 3:2 pulldown detection on NTSC material.

The manual says the progressive scan mode is only availible in 50 Hz, so I wonder if it will come to much use in larger displays that really need a high refreshrate to look good. But large displays are also the ones that benefits from P/S.

10. garliadr

garliadr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    My local Powerhouse (Kings Lynn) has the 32ZD26P on display. Looks quite good, almost like a RPTV. Don`t know what the picture is like tho` as it wasn`t turned on!

11. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Reason I'm not sure it accepts a Progressive signal is the Progressive option is in the display modes section, not input modes.

Still someone will have to play with it to be sure :)

Mark

12. carsten_f

carsten_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

theoretically, I could just buy it to find out. I live in Germany and a new EU directive has been incorporated into German consumer law effective as of 01/01/2002 saying that a dealer is now liable for any claims the manufacturer makes in his product literature. Since the new German Toshiba catalogue claims the new TVs to be capable of displaying Progressive Scan from a DVD player, I could either return the TV to the dealer if it cannot or sue the dealer for compensation...

Regards
    Carsten.

13. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a quick look in my local Powerhouse last night. They have the 32" version.

I must say that I didn't like the look of it at all - very plasticy especially the stand - looks like a cheap plastic speaker grill on the front of it. I couldn't see how the front of the stand is opened and I didn't want to linger too long as the sales assistants in PH are like leeched - once they smell a customer they latch on and won't let go until they've pestered you to death!

The set was showing analogue broadcasts and as always these looked dreadful (too many TV's fed by the same signal). I liked the "front" A/V inputs on the side though - tucked behind a little door.

The set appears much smaller around the back though - a bit more domed than the ZP18s.

I was condiering this TV in the back of my mind but have now ruled it out. Would not go in my Victorian house at all (yuk!).

14. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Any idea of prices?

15. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  16. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noticed this model in a local store the other day, Though it may appeal to some i thought it was butt ugly........ no it was hideous. :eek:

Looks as if a few manufacturers are having trouble with the styling of their cabinets, they design a decent set then the cabinet looks like an after thought, i wouldn't give them garage space.

17. carsten_f

carsten_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received an e-mail response from someone at Toshiba product management CTV. The reply to my questions read that the new Toshibas can only display NTSC Progressive from dvd, not PAL Progressive. Also, only the YUV-Component-Input may be used if you want to display NTSC Progressive Scan. I suppose that pretty much rules out connecting a PC to the set.

Regards
    Carsten.

18. McPastry

McPastry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear!!! This set sounds like the perfect companion for my NTSC Gamecube and Xbox :)

19. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not quite, ATI has a new graphics card that can output component signals but I don't remember which one.

Carsten, are there any new projection-TVs in the catalogue that also accepts NTSC progressive scan? What model number do they have?

20. carsten_f

carsten_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - unfortunately, there are no new rear projection tvs in the catalogue with progressive scan capability. The 50" and 61" 4:3 models have been upgraded to "Q"-level, that is they are now called 61PH18Q/50PH18Q (previous version had a "P" as last letter). I could not tell what has changed. Also, there is now "special edition" of the 43" model available called 43PH14Z, which is coloured "piano black" instead of light grey.

Regards
    Carsten.

21. carsten_f

carsten_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The person that I contacted at Toshiba said that he would also like to see PAL Progressive Scan capability included for the Atrium TVs and that there was no technical reason for not including it. He is going to try to convince Toshiba Japan to offer PAL Progressive.

Regards
    Carsten

22. McPastry

McPastry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The manual states that progressive mode is 50hz. Surely if it's NTSC only it should be 60hz??? Has anyone had the chance to test one of these sets yet and confirm that they have a 'true' prog scan mode?