1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Toshiba model + Prog.scan

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by NeoBlade, Jun 4, 2002.

1. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I just wanted to know if the new Toshiba TV was the ZT29B model or the ZD26P. I just went to Comet and had a print out of both models... Although nothing can out for the ZT29B which suggests that this is the latest model. I just want to make sure thats all because I'm replacing my Tosh ZP18 very soon.

From what I know, the ZT29B is the DVB model but costs £2,200. The ZD26P looks the same and is priced at £1,900. Are they idential in specs bar the DVB?

Also if anyone else has a recommendation of a TV that supports prog.scan around the £2k mark please state it. I've heard many probs with the Tosh and have experienced it with the ZP18... Hence the replacement. Its either this Tosh or a Panasonic/Philips TV.

Thanks in advance.

2. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ZT29B also comes with Dobly Digital built in and I guess surround speakers as well. So for an extra £300 that's not too bad (as you also get you digital tuner too).

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unbeatable.co.uk are advertising the progressive scan Toshiba 36ZD26P at £1441.96, although I don't know if they've actually got any in yet.

Matt.

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    NeoBlade:

Many of the Loewe models support Progressive Scan but will only accept it as an input signal through it's optional VGA upgrade board. This can make easy connection difficult with the use of a transcoder being needed unless your hardware supports RGB HV via VGA out. Not many DVD players can do this but there are a few import models that can. The Loewe VGA makes HTPC connection very easy though.

The Loewe models also have an internal de-interlacer that line-doubles all NTSC material regardless of connection method but the results are mixed and the difference, if any, is negligable.

I've played my Gamecube with true progressive output via the VGA method though with a modified Component to RGB HV (VGA) Cable (rather than Scart) and the improvement is quite noticeable. If you're looking for Progressive Scan solely for your Gamecube, then you could consider this type of setup.

The Toshiba with Progressive Scan is the ZD26 and it accepts it straight though the Component Inputs but in all honesty, if you are having all the problems with the Toshiba that you say you are, then I would avoid another Toshiba model at all costs. I used to have a ZP18 and the problems were numerous. In the end, it was the notorius flicker that made me get rid of it but the official Toshiba Engineer told me not to get another Toshiba TV as they all use the same oversampling upconvertor, and therefore will all have the same problems.

I realise many people don't seem to notice them or be susceptible to them which is great. However, if you do notice the problems, then I would say avoid Toshiba. Me, I couldn't be happier with my Loewe Aconda. :)

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy, good info there again as always. I plan to use my prog.scan compatible TV mainly for my GC and region 1 DVDs.. I haven't seen a Loewe model around at all though sadly. After reading through some forums this TV crops up a lot as the ideal replacement. How much did yours cost?

The only way for me to get other models is to order online... Something of which I don't want to do. Games and DVDs online is one thing, a huge TV set is another. I might just give the Tosh a 2nd chance and if that balls up I'll try and find this Loewe TV. If that fails then I'll just go for the latest Panasonic. I've got a Panasonic 32DT2 at the moment and I'm more than pleased with the image produced. All CRT TVs though at this end of the market should have component connections at least >_< I guess only Toshiba are taking it seriously, even with its fabled faults...

6. McPastry

McPastry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy,

AFAIK the Progressive mode on the 32ZD26P is 50/60hz, thus avoiding the 100hz flicker 'feature' of other Toshiba sets.

7. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I shall give the benefit of my experience with Tosh (32ZP18) so far:

Not sure if the Tosh flicker has anything to do with 100Hz. But, seeing as the ZD26 is essentially still a 100Hz TV with a progressive mode then I doubt whether this would exclude this model from the "feature" anyway.

My new ZP18Q is better than my original ZP18P in a number of ways and the flicker, although not as noticeable on the same scenes, is still there (as well as the hum from high contrast scenes which is annoying). Maybe Tosh have worked out how to hide the flicker on the newer models, but I doubt whether it is fixed! Sorry. There is also the "bug" in the scan mode when watching DVDs - there is a workaround but this type of bug just illustrates how much testing goes on these TVs before they are unleashed.

Another thing is the Tosh tube. I have looked at the Loewe Aconda 9381 (Philips tube) and the Aconda 9281 (Tosh tube) which apparently are identical in every other way (except the box) and to me the picture on the 9381 looked absolutely amazing whereas the 9281 (Tosh) just looked like my Tosh ZP18. Tosh tubes tend to be quite "dirty" in their appearance - difficult to describe but obvious when you watch it for a while. I personally could have lived with this until I saw the 9381 with the Philips tube! Others have complained about brighter sides, vertical bars down the sides and colour staining but I didn't notice these or find them a problem.

I would suggest anyone gives the ZD26/ZT29 a thorough going over before committing, or at least buy it from a reputable supplier where exchange or refund in the event of problems is not an issue.

If you do decide to take the plunge then a review would be good as personally I'd like to see Tosh sort their problems out (please don't think I'm Tosh-bashing).

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    McPastry:

The flicker problem I had was nothing to do with the 100hz. It was not a refresh rate problem but rather to do with the Toshiba's inability to process and display certain grey levels. It was caused by the upconvertor which, on certain scenes, couldn't decide which grey level to display between an upper and lower level. Thus, it constantly flicked between the two levels causing a lighten/darken effect on screen. It wasn't something the majority of people would notice but Toshiba did recognise the "feature" and told me all Toshiba TV's are the same. :(

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes, I noticed that flicker too... and many more on the ZP18P... however they dont seem to be there/or as noticable on the 42WH18P...

10. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good to hear from you again Alex - I thought you had disappeared. :cool:

11. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just placed my order for the 32ZD26P. The 36 was to big and £600 more :eek: Have ordered it from unbeatable.co.uk for £1001 with 6 months intrest free credit, which includes delivery. £300 cheaper than the highstreet.

When it gets delivered I'll post a review

Paul

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Groundy... still about still trying to find the perfect TV... got the 42WH18P... damn fine picture... but the wife doesnt like the fact you cant see it from some of the room :( So now I'm looking at the Philips 36PW9607 or the Toshiba 36ZD26P ... :)

13. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My question, does this ZT model have the same Digital audio inputs as the ZP18's, as I am gettign a replacement tv after the problem I had with the 36ZP18. Also where can I find out about the ZT model since a search on google has yielded nothing :(

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got some interesting info from Toshiba:

As far as I am aware the picture tubes to be used in these new models are the same as currently used in the 36ZP18P and Q models.

The progressive scan feature is for NTSC DVD players with the facility to output Progressive Component signals.

You will be allowed to select Progressive in the user menu with any PAL/NTSC signal but in these conditions it is not displayed on screen as 100/120Hz.

The new scan mode called 'Action' has twice the memory available in the digital upconversion so can display slow panning shots more cleanly, faster panning will at some point fill the memory so require a brief return to standard 100hz scan mode.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds to me like it displays PAL progressive scan in 50/60Hz... and the bit about the same tube as the ZP18 doesnt fill me with confidence... :(

I took a look at the 32" version of that compared to the pixel plus Philips, and allthough the tosh is a very nice piccy on progressive... I think the pixel plus has the egde.
    --
    Alex

15. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ClarkK

But as the tosh has Prog Scan on NTSC a R1 DVD on a Prg Scan player should look far better on the Tosh than the pixle plus set??

Paul

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to say... make sure you look at it in "real life" first too... I really didnt like the look of it... the cabinet doors have a "microwave door" effect, with a mesh type thing to allow IR through... looks a bit cheap IMO.