1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Toshiba 42WT29B coming on Monday and I'm getting worried

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Beermonster, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Beermonster

Beermonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting a Tashiba 42WT29B on Monday and was looking forward to it coming until I had a look through a few of these posts...
    With all these settings to sort out like convergence and so on, I'm a bit worried if I've made the right choice. Some of you seem to be fiddling about and having problems all the time...
    All I want to do is set it up once and watch and enjoy. When I get it on monday will the installers set it up to just a basic standard?
    I know I will have to at some point set it to my liking but I don't want to have to mess with it all the time. When I do set it up and I like what I see, will it stay that way, or am I going to have to tweak it every day?

Phil.... A worried man :lease:

2. stormyuklondon1

stormyuklondon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    you will frequently hear about the minority(including myself!) who have had problems.
    the majority(not me!) will not complain about problems because they dont have any!
    i genuinely believe that tosh sets are as a whole very reliable, well specced and great value for money. myself and others with problems have just been unlucky! dont worry!
    oh, that is unless you bought it from comet. in which case youre in for a whole world of sh*t!;)

3. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I think that there's problems and there's PROBLEMS. I am very happy with my Toshiba RPTV and have only a couple of minor causes to complain.

Stormy and myself unfortunately purchased from a company who does not consider the consumer to have the right to want the best from their product. They probably think that we are nit picking. But why should I have to adjust the convergence everyday and why should I see a faint vertical smear on light background shots.

If it means getting a replacement to iron out these faults then I will go for it.

I have just been watching SKY 1 and the picture has been fantastic. I also plugged in my DVD with a component cable for the first time and it was exceptional.

Trust me have no fear. Just don't buy it from Comet.

4. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshibas are one of the best money can buy, but as it is a RPTV you need to tweak the set to get it as you want.

My 57" had geometry faults, the picture was tilting and it wasn't centered as it should, also the focus was not so good.

After adjusting the mechanical focus, using the servicemenu for convergence, my Toshiba is excellent now.

When i was adjusting the mechanical focus and started with the red CRT gun i was really shocked how sharp my grid was getting, and even sharper when i touched the green gun.

I love RPTV because you can tweak it so much and there is always something you can tweak better.

I will get a geometry template for my 57" so i can get perfect geometry.

5. Beermonster

Beermonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers :beer: I feel better now...
    I'm a bit thick with these things...... What is a component cable? How do I know if my Samsung DVD/VCR and My Sky box are component compatible?

6. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked everywhere for the UK Toshiba RPTV geometry templates and can't find them. Where do you plan on getting yours?

Cheers.

7. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will make my own at my local print house, you need the grids which are shown in the service manual with the correct dimensions.

8. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah ok. In that case, any idea where I can get service manuals? :hiya:

9. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: