1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Toshiba 36ZP38

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Richard Morris, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Richard Morris

Richard Morris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV, DVD & VCR have finally been delivered by John Lewis's (well worth the £25 installation fee to get it set up).

First impressions - the TV picture particularly from the Freeview box & DVD is fantastic. The surround sound is very impressive and also looks neat without the separate Bass box.

Although it is 36", the TV fits surprisingly snuggly into the corner of the room (had visions of the wife rejecting it !!).

All in all one great package - especially at the price with the 5 yr guarantee.

2. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Hi Richard,

The Tosh is a damn fine telly. Unfortunately I had to return mine due to probs with it's Progressive Scan reproduction. But nevertheless, it produced one of the best pics I've seen on a CRT.

Have you got progressive ability through, say, the DVD Player?

Anyway, enjoy:smashin:

All the best,

LAGAVULIN

3. Richard Morris

Richard Morris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lagauvulin,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm not much of a TV expert I'm afraid (I paid JL £25 to set it all up for me). I'm sure I will become more knowledgable in time - at least I'm using some decent scart leads for example. I also pinched some suggested contrast/brightness etc settings from this site for this particular model which I think helped.

Not sure what you mean by progressive ability ? I do have a DVD player as part of the package and the JL guy set it up on EXT 1. The picture and sound are both astonishing (I'm sure I'll spot something in time as nothing is perfect but right now I can't see a problem).

Hope you resolve your issues.

Regards,

Richard

4. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Hi Richard,

By Progressive ability, I mean has your player got progressive scan? Through EXT 1, it won't anyway, it would have to be connected through COMPONENT video (the three Red, Green & Blue RCA/Phono sockets) on EXT 4. Sorry if that blinds ya with science a bit :suicide:

Glad to hear you're getting your moneys worth though :smashin:

Take care,

LAGAVULIN

5. Richard Morris

Richard Morris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/107395.html

This is the DVD in the package. Don't think it has progressive scan from the description, but reading some websites it sounds as though most DVD films aren't recorded in a format that allows you to view it in this manner ?

I'm probably getting too technical for myself now; I think I'll have a lie down !!

6. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    :laugh:

Hi Richard,

Your player DOES have Component Video outputs [better than RGB:smashin: ], but it is not Progressive.

However, a DVD (movie or whatever) doesn't have to be recorded in Progressive Scan to playback prog. scan. It's all hardware driven. If you have a DVD player that can output a progressive signal and a monitor (TV or Plasma etc.) that can accept a progressive signal then your movie will playback in prog. scan. Y'see, the actual player turns the software signal into progressive and then sends it to a compatible screen (such as your Tosh ZP38)...

If you think your pic looks good now, just wait til you get prog. scan:eek: (unless your's has the same prob as mine did when playing back prog. signals :( hence my original query as to whether you had progressive ability or not)

Anyway, all the best mate,

LAGAVULIN

7. shreddieeddie

shreddieeddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just got the same setup as this. Going from a Pana 32PB50 I am very impressed with the sound and picture quality. But dissapinted there is no sub out but I can live with that.

The DVD player seems ok for the price - Mine was free rental with the TV so couldn't really turn it down. Hopefully I will swap this for a prog scan in the future.