1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Toshiba 35" (35WP26)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bonzaimaster, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interesting in getting the new Toshiba 35" plasma (model 35WP27 see http://***********/3gs1 for the spec) and noticed that there are big price differences in prices at retailers ranging from £4495 at John Lewis to £3647 at Unbeatable.co.uk.

Unfortunately, John Lewis seem to be the ONLY place that has it in stock at the moment.

Anyone know where I can buy one for around £3700 (inc vat) that has availability?

Thanks

2. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is space an issue, do you need to go with the 35" because you can get the 42" panasonic for less than 3700 and you can get the 37" panasonic for 2500 both of these would IMO be much better than going for a smaller screen and paying more.

John.

3. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The biggest issue for me is the connectivity. I know it very expensive but I like the fact that the Toshiba has a RGB SCART socket that allows auto-switching between 4:3 and 16:9 when fed with a Sky+ signal. I hate the though of my the aspect ratio messing up when watching 4:3 channels in the Panasonic 'just' mode.

I have yet to find anyone who has managed to get the Panasonics to auto-switch between the aspect ratios.

4. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This non-aspect ratio switching thing on my Pana4 plasma when watching Sky+ has been bugging me too. As we know, ordinary tellies with SCARTS pick up the aspect ratio info from the SCART connector, but plasmas without SCARTS can't do this, and it's a pain.

I've arranged for a friendly electronics manufacturer to build me a prototype unit to do this switching automatically via the RS232 port and I should be receiving it soon - bliss!

I have asked Spectre permission to post a request for feedback on the reqiurement in the plasma-owning community for such a device to assess the feasability of having it manufactured. I figure that if people are buying JS RGB to VGA boxes, a natural add-on would be an automatic aspect ratio switcher.

If no-one has any specific objections, I'll post separately on this subject.

5. ShaggyDragon

ShaggyDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any of the Panasonic / Toshiba plasmas can do widescreen switching, you simply have to buy the tuner box and tuner card for them.

6. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ShaggyDragon

That's good news. Do you think there would be any degradation in the picture quality if I passed a Sky Digital RGB signal through the tuner (in order to achieve widescreen switching)?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    John Lewis will price match, take the offer in to them and tell them you'd rather buy from them, it's usually that simple.

8. darren rayner

darren rayner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I belive you would be best waiting for the new Hitachi Platara plasma to come out!!!!!

As i am told these are very good!!

9. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW - I don't believe John Lewis will match an 'internet only' price. Especially one that is out of stock anyway.

Darren - I did look at the Platara but it looks like it's only going to have a 32" version and not a 35"/37".

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    All I can say is they did it for me with a washing machine, dishwasher, fridge and tumbledryer!!!!