1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tosh players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Reiner, May 20, 2002.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  2. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    this is from the page.

Now either this means the 9500 supports pal progressive, or they are saying, damnit, yet another player that does NTSC but not PAL progressive. hmm.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all your on-line translation needs, use BabelFish:

http://babel.altavista.com/tr

Converts entire sites as you surf as well as the odd phrase here and there.....

Unfortunately, it's not always very good - particularly with technical stuff but here's how it translated your German quote....

Silicone image progressive Scan chip set, thereby PAL progressive one able (ex factory for legal reasons only NTSC progressive one)

4. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    did you check the price on that only €2500 - yikes, maybe i'll stick to my 510...when it arrives :D if ever.....

is that a vga connector i spy on the back?

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Silicone image progressive Scan chip set, thereby PAL progressive one able (ex factory for legal reasons only NTSC progressive one)

That's pretty accurate though: PAL PS is possible but disabled, i.e. it will only do NTSC PS - officially.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm more interested in the 14-bit 108MHz video DAC...that puts it in the same bracket as the Denon A1 technically, although I've always prefered Toshiba's DVD picture quality to Denon's...meaning this could well be the ultimate DVD player...it's also much cheaper than the A1...

7. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude,

I have to agree about Tosh PQ. Reading between the lines I get the impression that whilst this baby is PAL Prog ready but disabled for legal reasons in PAL territories, this actually translates as 'simple PAL Prog workaround possible but don't look at us because we didn't send them out of the factory PP enabled'. Suits me fine. Hope a gold finish is available, black is so yesterday dontchaknow!

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah too right! All the rest of my gear's in gold! I'm actually going to try and get a SD900E anyway - the picture's awesome on that too, depite 'only' having a 10-bit 54MHz DAC!!!

9. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude,

I can personally vouch for the SD900E. Mines modded, fully RCE compatible, no branching problems, Macrovision disabled, the works. Run it through component feeding a progressive (NTSC) signal to an 11HT onto a Stewart Grayhawk. Its the dogs ********. Got Gordon to come down from darkest Scotland and work his ISF magic on the PJ. This combination is absolutely stunning, from what I've seen its at the top of the tree for LCD.

LEConcepts appear to be doing a fantastic deal on 900's at the mo. Don't let a 10 bit 54 meg DAC fool you, the picture is fabulous.

10. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    According to the areadvd website, it's only going to be available in black. Also interesting that there is no SCART.

Dave48

11. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The specs at www.toshiba.co.uk claim the 9500 does have an RGB SCART - although it also has the usual disclaimer about being subject to change.

Ronnie

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just checked the specs on Tosh's website and by all accounts the 900E and the 9500 are EXACTLY the same except for the video DAC, and regardless of any improvement there, I guess for me it won't be worth the extra £1000 or so to go from a stunning picture to the ultimate picture!!! (apologies if exaggerating!).

Even the chassis is virtually the same!

13. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    According to the picture and text of the Areadvd site that Reiner originally posted, the back of the new player looks quite different to the old 900, for example it has XLR (balanced connectors) for audio [I think this has volume control built in, so presumably you could connect it straight to a power amp with XLR input], it has a "digital in" so you can use it's high quality D/A converters for other sources ....

Sounds pretty nice to me.

Dave48