1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tosh DLP +HTPC Help!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by whiteswan, Dec 8, 2004.

1. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    HI

As some of you know I have the Tosh DLP and am extremely happy with it.

I have a pc (Last Aldi pc) - feeding it through the vga port on the rear of the tv and the pic quality is excellent.

However is there any way of making the pc output 16:9 to the tv............I have the Medion 8083 pc.

I get an excellent pic (especially hi def trailers etc) - but wondered if there was a way (using powerstrip perhaps) - of utilising the whole screen.

What is 1:1 mapping - and how do i achieve it with this tv?

If anybody is local to me in Chadderton, Oldham and wants to come and set it up for me - then offer away!

Thanks

Dave, Oldham.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    '1:1 mapping' is where you make the Windows desktop the same resolution as the display .. Powerstrip does that for you if the graphic card's control panel doesn't know about the resolution you need.

PStrip is very easy to use and comes with a number of pre-defined settings. What PC video card do you have (not all allow custom resolutions)? What resolution do you need?

3. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    My tv manual says the tv can display 1024 x 768 / 60hz.

My graphics card is Radeon 9800 xt - which is set at 1024x768 in windows display settings.

Is this correct?

How do I utilise the whole of the tv screen - and not just the 4:3 display I get at the moment?

Dave, Oldham.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're certainly doing the right thing to get 1:1 mapping.

There must be something I don't understand about your TV because, to state the obvious, 1024x768 is 4:3 so if you get a picture that's 16:9 then clearly either the panels are bigger or else it does something like using 1024x576 and zooming .. my Sharp projector uses 1024x576 to give a 16:9 A/R.

Sorry Dave, I don't think I can figure what's going on here without more information to understand how the TV is producing a wide-screen picture.

5. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    is there a setting in windows display properties that u select either 4:3 or 16:9 monitor type?

I have a DVI out on the pc - should i go dvi to HDMI in on the tv (will need an adaptor i guess) - perhaps this will give me 16:9?

Dave, Oldham.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well the A/R of the picture is defined by the resolution so I can't see what a 'display type' setting would do .. certainly I haven't got such a setting on either of my ATI-equipped systems.

The only way of getting a non-4:3 A/R from 1024x768 would be to use non-square pixels, I believe that's what the Hitachi plasmas do but your TV can't be doing that otherwise you'd get a distorted 4:3 picture displayed on a 16:9 screen.

Unless anyone who owns one of these things drops by I think the only way you'll solve your conundrum is to try asking Tosh themselves.

Thinking about it, my only guess is that the panel is maybe 1280x768 but for some reason the electronics will only handle 1024x768 via the PC input .. my 17" LCD TV from Relisys does just that, I can't feed it 1280x720 even though that's what the panel is.

7. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks for that.........

If i play say an xvid file from the pc to the tv I have the 4:3 problem but.................if i drop that xvid to dvd and play it thru the xbox (component with hi def pack) - then I can fill the screen with the xbox media ctr/player options.

Dave, Oldham.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :eek:

Now THAT utterly puzzles me .. I'm clearly missing something here, Lord knows what though.