1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tosh 42PW23

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by SixWhippys, Jun 26, 2003.

1. SixWhippys

SixWhippys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to share this with you all...

I took delivery of a 42PW23 this afternoon and it is absolutely superb! Fantastic picture quality straight out of the box - in fact it's so good you wouldn't think it was a rear pro. Even with contrast and brightness turned down to 30/40 respectively it's still a rich and vibrant picture. The matt/flat screen and delicate surround makes you feel like you're watching a moving picture rather than a telly.

And it's big! Quite a shock when the Toshiba men brought it into the house, but now it looks (to my eyes anyway) really nice in situ. Watching tennis this afternoon Tim Henman was literally larger than life! I must admit I'm glad that I didn't buy the optional cabinet as I'm sure that would have made it too tall, both aesthetically and in terms of viewing angle.

All that's outstanding now is to hook up my entertainment PC (the black beasty on the left) and the Denon 3803 (I've just spent £40 on an IXOS component cable which is 2m too short - doh! If anyone's interested in buying it let me know). I'm also toying with the idea of putting a shelf behind the TV for the centre speaker, but I may get used to it being in front...

In all I'm a very happy chap now, and it's a big thumbs up on the telly and also Robertsons who were prompt and courteous and sold it at a rock bottom price.

Attached Files:

2. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Whats the spec on the Ixos component lead matey ?

Got myself a 42WT29 about a month ago, and am in the market for a new component cable.

3. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Could you please take the trading to the relevent forum.

4. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Certainly..if the item becomes available for purchase..

5. SixWhippys

SixWhippys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thread going over now...

6. Mikol

Mikol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello mate, I've been looking at RP tv's for a while and am going to look at one this morning. Think it might be that one actually. It looks gorgeous in those pictures. Can I ask how much you paid for it by chance? No worries if thats a personal question mate, just ignore it.

I see your highly impressed with it, I hear RP tv's seem to be so much better than they used to be. Is this a 100hz model?

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No the 42PW23P is a 50hz, Nicam stereo version. The 100hz with Dolby Digital 5.1 & freeview TV is the 42WTxx model.

I have the 42PW23P. Here's a snapshot as a taster.. actual picture is much better.

http://nathansilly.012webpages.com/

RP's have come a long way- checkout a early Philips RP- they are terrible- bright in the middle but dark in the edges. Not for the newer ones. Even brightness & contrast all-round.

RP's do have a few quirks- if you're technical type of person you wouldn't hesitate in tweaking it (do a search on several of my 42PW23P threads) as you need to (at least) convergege them.

8. bandy

bandy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the 42pw23p with the stand and i must say i think it improves the picture if anything, i tried it without the stand for a while but just could not get used to it. give it a couple of months and i'm sure you'll be tweaking it even if you are happy with the overall picture, it's just something us rear pro owners do .

9. SixWhippys

SixWhippys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mikol – sorry for delay in replying. It cost £989 from Roberstons Online. Delivery is direct from Toshiba and took just over 2 weeks from when I placed the order. You can get it cheaper elsewhere, but I was swayed by Robertsons price/rating on pricerunner.co.uk

5 days in and I am still mightily impressed with the telly - it really is the d’s b’s. Even my wife thinks it’s nice, and that’s saying something!

All I’ve done in terms of set up is reduce the contrast and brightness and tweak the convergence a bit using the user menu. (I’ve gone into the service menu convergence just to make sure I can do it, but quite honestly the picture quality I’ve got doesn’t warrant any fiddling there.)

I still can’t get over the fact that such a big picture can look so clear and – as Nathan says – so even. I guess clarity is helped by the fact that I’m using scart output from the Sky box rather than using my terrestrial aerial so it’s free from interference.

One word of caution is viewing distance – I sit about 9 feet away from the screen and I wouldn’t want to be any closer. My wife sits about 12 feet away (we’ve got his and hers sofas, in case you’re wondering!) and that’s just about perfect. Something that I was worried about before I got the set was viewing angle, but this is surprisingly good – sure, brightness drops off as you move away from the centreline, but it’s still watchable from the other end of my sofa (which I reckon is about 45 degrees off centre). Likewise, brightness drops if you move off the vertical centreline, but it’s watchable standing up (which we don’t do very often!) and perfect when sitting in the sofas.

So I’ve got absolutely no qualms about getting this TV – it’s a joy to watch and worth every penny.

10. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I was thinking about getting a stand for my Tosh, but I thought that if it was on a stand then it would only be a clear picture when standing, as that would be where your eye level would be. Can someone tell me how the picture is clear when sitting down.
    :confused:

11. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Just thought I'd add my twopenn'orth to the 42PW23P self-congratulation society. Been a proud owner for a few months now and it still has the power to make me smile whenever I sit down to watch it. Today I finally plucked up the courage to try the service-level convergence Nathan recommended months ago, when I wouldn't have dared touch it with a barge pole. Not that there was anything wrong with the picture as it was, but I just felt I'd spent long enough bonding with the tv and felt familiar enough with it to try it on.
    Have to say it was tremendous fun watching all those grids snap neatly into line with one another, and it's made a noticeable improvement to picture quality. Only done PAL wide and super live so far, but that just about covers it for me.
    So thanks for the tips, Nathan.

12. SixWhippys

SixWhippys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MarkR, I've been bobbing up and down infront of the TV (to my wife's amusement) seeing what difference the stand/cabinet might make.

Optimal brightness appears to be when your eyes are directly in line with the centre of the screen, about 32" from ground. Go higher and the picture darkens from the bottom, go lower and it darkens from the top.

As luck would have it, my eyes are about 32" from the ground when I'm sitting in my sofa, so I get a pretty darned good picture. (At last I've found an advantage in only being 5 foot 6!). Now, if I slouch down by about 12" in the sofa (the height of the cabinet) the picture darkens from the top, but only fractionally so.

So the bottom line is that it doesn't seem to make a huge difference and, if you're sofa is more firmly sprung than mine and/or you're not a shorty like me you may well find - as bandy says - the picture improves with the additional height.

staxdoobie - I think I too will pluck up courage in a few months to play with service level convergence, but right now it scares the bejezus out me and I'm in "if it ain't broken" mode. Glad to hear that it's still making you smile, though!