1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tory Council Prove What A Bunch Of Wasters Labour Really Are!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by danny daniell, Apr 24, 2005.

1. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    After taking over from Labour two years ago,the tories have worked a small financial miracle at my local council. Under Labour we were used to Council Tax increases of 10%+ due to their ridiculous overstaffing & general wastfullness but under tory management,the workforce has been trimmed from an over-flabby 1300 people to a lean 800 & with NO LOSS IN SERVICES! We now enjoy Council Tax rises of 2.5% (in line with inflation) & this is how it should be :smashin: Thanks Tories.....if you get in the general election i am sure you will do the same for the rest of the U.K

Cheers,Dan :)

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Although a life long supporter of Labour till T Blair turned up, I started voting other than Labour in the local election, there the biggest wasters there is they do one thing one year which people do not want then a few years later realized there mistake and try and put it back as it was (only worse).

They allow anybody to build anywhere; they think a green belt is for holding there supporters pants up.

They closed down a old folks home and then opened it up for asylum seekers.

Unfortunatly as someone said if Labour put a pig up for election they would get voted in. :mad:

3. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    On the flip side I lived, until we moved up here, under various different Tory councils. Two were shown (but not named unlike Labour councils, as Tories) on TV as having been involved in serious swindles, another was effectively a 'rotton borough' with sinecure posts being given out, virtually exclusively, to members of the councils families and business partners. Another council was known to have been handing out dodgy building contracts, listed buildings 'accidently' being knocked down by' runaway bulldozers', with a whole manner of back handers going on, and was exposed for doing so in the local press. Fortunately two of them lost their majority (hooray!) in 97 and 2001, as people finally got sick of their corruption, and things have already massively improved. Sometimes though, it's just a new broom.

However, half the time when you cut council jobs it has no impact for about four or five years (as we found in the South) as those left slowly buckle under the work load, and then the whole lot starts to cave in. Don't count your chickens just yet. We lost, under one council that made 'savings'; all our public baths, all the OAP services, and half a dozen other things when it finally hit. Ironically our council tax savings weren't that geat either.

I agree there are plenty of crap Labour councils, but from long and bitter exprience there are PLENTY of useless Tory ones as well.

You might be lucky, but as Tory govts tend to carry on as in the 1st paragraph, the country won't be. You can't generalise.

4. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Exactly the same as the Tories. If you're going to have a go, then find a difference in policy. ;)

The last govt closed down the local mental health hospitals, then sold the land off for housing estates. Thus helping create, sorry, creating the current problem with the care in the community people.

5. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Just sharing my experiences & everyone speaks as they find...In order to slim down,Dobson (council leader) employed the services of an independant "Time & Motion" consultancy firm.Needless to say,their findings made your hair stand on end! John took much criticism from the local left-wing press for this as this firms fee wasnt cheap....about £500,000 IIRC but it has sure paid dividends. There were no forced redundencies,it was just that as people left,they werent replaced. It seems to work just fine.

6. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Hopefully It will. My experience with private consultancy firms suggests that they're very hit and miss though. They made a right pigs ear of a staffing and IT co-ordination projection at a firm I used to work for. One also ballsed up at the MAFF when I worked there. Tax payers money wasted that time as well. I would also add, as above, there is a time lag built into when real effectiveness is shown, or if they were a cut too far. If it's the former then good news! Contrary to what people assume, I don't believe in keeping non productive people on just to keep them in a job - at tax payers expense.

Good point, but that doesn't neccarily mean that it can equate nationwide.

Is there a left wing press, either local or national!? :eek: Even our local rags have been chasitised (by the press council) for bot smooching the Tories. ;)

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    why not leave everything to Brussels
    then we can save loads of money by not having rubbish things like councils and MPs

8. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Mustr admit I treat local party politics very differently form the national level prefering to vote for a party that will do best for my area. In Horsham where I lived for 20 years I voted Conservative because they consistently did an excellent job there.The town is unrecognisable form what it was 20 years ago with a very good shopping centre, sports centre and arts centre now.Here in Worthing I vote Lib dem because the |tory council are frankly useless- they spend nothing on improving things. for eg we need a new state of the art assembly hall, a new indoor swimming pool and a massive uplift in the shopping area plkus a multiplex cinema.So far nothing.

Talking of corruption , does any one remember the Westminster Tory council led by Dame Shirley Porter and all the gerrymandering that was going on there? Funny how she scarpered from the country whilst her colleagues were left to face the music

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I agree Seite. I have voted Lib dem in council elections, and was glad to see them get in when we lived down South. After years (decades) of neglect by the ruling Tories, we finally had someone who got something done!

10. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .....is it me ? or does the second sentence completely contradict the first !? :lesson:

typical left wingers ;) :)

11. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Last time they got in they introduced a park and busride scheme and changed the parking arrangements in town so that in some areas you can park all day in one spot except beteen 10am -11am and 2pm -3pm ( which menas plenty of fluidity) and in other areas you have to buy a voucher which lsts for 2 hours.People moaned at first and rejected the Libdems at the next election but still the scheme stays because it works.
    What this town needs are visionaries with imagination who care . We have an elderly population who are well catered for but we also have loads of young people who need modern facilities - Indoor swimming pool, state of the art hall for concerts, clubs etc. Outdoor entertainment is poor. Every year we have the same funfair that comes three times during the summer months. This is fine for a minority who like that but for the rest???Outdoor concert playing ethnic music would be a welcome start but trying to convince the stick in the muds here/??

12. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Only if taken out of context. Typical right wingers eh'! :D ;)

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Some years ago our council knocked down a sports center that was only built in the last 20 years which contained a swimming pool. They also had a very old but good pool that was also enjoyed, what did they close it down a couple of months before demolishing the other perfectly good sports centre so people of the town had no where to swim.
    The way things get built and knocked down and green areas are built on, it make me think things are going on for builders and businesses not the stupid voters who keep voting the shower in power and pay there wages and the rest.

I also know the council is so over staffed that one person left his job because he felt so guilty as he spent most of the day reading a books and magazines.

14. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    As above Garrett, councils tend to be barclay bankers whatever the colour. We could go on all night quoting and counter quoting crap councils. As above though, that doesn't relate in any way, to the govt of the day.

The same comment as made by a local council member where my aunt lives. The councils majority? Tory. Any plans to cut back on 'wasted' labour? None. Like the council I referred to above, too many are there due to nepotism for any 'cutbacks'.

Ironically, our local council is Labour run, and they've just run into tons of stick for pegging back the council tax and cutting jobs! :eek: Cuts opposed by ..........the Tories! :confused:

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    I can only comment as I find and when we have a Labour ward councilor they were a waste of time, on the other hand when we had Tory counselor he was always in the ward and doing stuff. I contacted him about a dangerous road junction with no lane makings and it was done very promptly.
    Just a shame some motorists are blind or idle sod and would rather put there lives at risk and others to save a second. :nono:

16. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Fair enough m8. As above though, its pretty meaningless as to political party as to how a councellor performs. Our local councellor is Labour and he's pretty much invisible. Just over in the next ward is a Tory and he's even worse. One of our friends has written no less than 8 letters asking for him to get his finger out about the local housing problems and got not one reply, and no-one has seen any action bar bad mouthing the council to the press.

The biggest problem seems to be complacency. Once your party becomes entrenched in an area, the work rate of the councellors drops off alarmingly. A new one comes in and work rate steps up. By contrast we expected great things from the Lib dems when Liverpools useless Labour council got the push, but they've proved a big disappointment. Historicaly, the Labour left (Hatton et al) got in there primarily because of years of serious Tory neglect.