New to Zyxel NSA325

krose

Standard Member
hi,

I have bought this so useful thing, but how complicated it is!! Almost make it unusable.

Please help me - how do I copy files onto it!! I though it's simple drag and drop!

I have managed to copy files (well I am still copying) through 'NAS Starter Utility / Shared Folder' where I can browse what's on it and drag&drop, but it takes ages!!! 150GB of music = 33hrs!!!! I have connected external drive directly to NAS.
Thanks

PS. I dont want to mention about my 1TB of movies I want to transfer... :facepalm::lease:

cjed

Hi, I don't have a NSA-325, but do have a NSA-310, so may be able to help. Just a few questions about your setup first.

How do I copy files onto it!! I though it's simple drag and drop!

Yes, that's normally the way.
  1. Where are you copying the files from ?
  2. What PC/Laptop are you using (and what OS is it running) ?
  3. How is it connected to the NSA-325 ?
I have managed to copy files (well I am still copying) through 'NAS Starter Utility / Shared Folder' where I can browse what's on it and drag&drop, but it takes ages!!! 150GB of music = 33hrs!!!!

That sounds much slower than I would expect. With my NSA-310, 150GB would take under 2 hours to copy from my PC to the NAS.

I have connected external drive directly to NAS.

Do you mean you are copying from an external USB drive that's plugged into the NSA-325 ?

krose

Standard Member
Hi,

I have got external USB HDD connected directly to NAS (previously tried connecting USB HDD directly to PC)
My NAS is connected directly to the router with ethernet cable.
I am using Starter Utility/Shared Folder to drag and drop folders.
I am doing this on Windows XP 32bit laptop.

Bless, I want it to take 2hrs! ;) Pls

cjed

The trick is to make the fastest connections between the devices you can.

In my case the NSA-310 and PC are both wired to a Gigabit switch, this connection has a maximum throughput of around 115 MByte/s. However, the NSA-310 is limited in how fast it can write data to disk, which means the actual transfer rate I see is around 32MByte/sec.

If your router only supports Fast ethernet (100Mbit/s) then the fastest network transfer to your NAS will be limited to around 11MByte/s, much slower than your NAS can write the data from the network to it's disk.

If in addition your laptop is connected by WiFi to the router, that will probably (depending upon the WiFi flavour, signal strength and interference from other WiFi networks) not even be able to manage 11MByte/s.

If your external USB hard disk is USB2, then maximum transfer from that will probably be in the range 25 - 35MByte/s (USB3 is much faster). However I've not tried transferring data directly from the NSA-310's USB port to the internal disks, and typically these links are quite slow. I'll give it a go and see.

The best setup for transferring data to the NAS would be to get a Gigabit switch (like this one), and plug both the NAS and your laptop into it, then plug the USB external drive into the laptop and transfer data by drag and drop in explorer. Even then you may be limited as your laptop is quite old and may not have a Gigabit ethernet port.

What make/model router and make/model laptop do you have ?

krose

Standard Member
I have got Virgin Media SuperHub :/

I was thinking about removing hard disc from NAS case and connecting it directly to PC.

I am not sure what files/folders structure NAS creates on the disc, also will two different formats work together (NTSC and 'xxx' NAS one-not sure of its name)

Do you think will it work?

cjed

I have got Virgin Media SuperHub

I think that's got Gigabit ports, which is good news. Are you able to plug your laptop into one of the SuperHub ports ?

I was thinking about removing hard disc from NAS case and connecting it directly to PC.

I am not sure what files/folders structure NAS creates on the disc, also will two different formats work together (NTSC and 'xxx' NAS one-not sure of its name)

Do you think will it work?

No, I don't think that will work. Most of these NAS units are linux based and hence use ext3/4 filesystems, your Windows PC won't be able to access them directly.

krose

Standard Member
I have connected laptop with ethenet cable! What a difference. Much quicker and does not loose connection every half an hour.
I think I am sorted. Thanks for a good lecture!

cjed

Glad to hear it's all going OK.

I did try copying from a USB2 external drive connected to my NSA-310 onto the NAS. I used the file browser built into the web interface of the NAS, it copied 75GB of large media files at around 27MByte/s - which is about as fast as I would expect from a USB2 drive.

krose

Standard Member
I have continued copying files having USB HDD connected to NAS but I had disruptions in the connection every 5-10 GB, had to restart NAS everytime.
I have now connected USB HDD directly to laptop and copy from laptop - no disruptions! :thumbsup:

What 'browser based web interface' are you talking about? Is it the one - 'NAS Starter Utility/Media Player/Browse Files' ?
When I press Media Player Firefox/Explorer opens, I click 'Browse Files' icon and I have got option to 'Upload' files but it gives option of uploading 5 files a time and I have to 'browse' each one separately - that's not the way to do it.

Well, so far 'NAS Starter Utility/Shared Folder' works for me the best (windows way drag&drop) :cool:

cjed

To get to the web based file browser on the NSA310 I do the following :

• Start Internet Explorer (IE9 in my case)
  • Enter the NAS address ("http://nsa310" in my case - you may need to use the IP address of your NAS rather than it's name)
  • This gives a login screen with buttons for "User Login" and "Administrator Login", I'd already created a user account on my NAS, so logged in as that user.
  • Then it displays the user home screen with 3 icons, "File Browser", "Application Zone" and "System" (picture here).
  • Clicking on the "File Browser" icon gives a explorer like browser of the NAS filesystems (picture here).
On that last picture, the two folders that start "WD- ..." are from an external USB2 hard disk plugged into the NAS. For my test I just dragged the "Watched" Folder to the "Public" folder on the NAS and it asked me if I wanted to move or copy it. I selected copy and away it went. Unfortunatly there is no progress bar or other indictaion apart from the "System is busy moving/copying files" in the bottom left. I measured throughput by periodically looking at the size of the public folder from a connected PC.

skronk

That link may well come in handy.

Another question please. Why do I read about people with a NAS using Sonos etc. to stream. Does the NAS not stream. I can't quite grasp this at all.

Cheers

milkmanchris

That link may well come in handy.

Another question please. Why do I read about people with a NAS using Sonos etc. to stream. Does the NAS not stream. I can't quite grasp this at all.

Cheers

I use a NSA310 to 'stream' to my Sonos.

In its most basic form the Sonos is a network attached speaker that sees the shared folder on the NAS and plays the files (in much the same way you play the files stored there on your PC, phone, tablet etc)

Hope this helps, I am also new to Sonos and NAS and it really is a great setup

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom