Question New to VR - some advice please!

Discussion in 'VR Virtual Reality Forum' started by BhPu, Apr 27, 2016.

1. BhPu

BhPu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have heard of this technology and Google cardbox etc but the other day I was in Menkind and the dude asked me to try their £24.99 VR headset and I was amazed as to how immersive it was. He demoed a Just Cause game/movie. My questios are;

- although there are ones that are hundreds and hundreds of pounds, would a £12 eBay job be good enough for the free apps on the Play Store?

- also for watching movies? How do I convert movies to be watched on these VR headsets? Thanks!

2. mambo1888

mambo1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    I tried a cheap headset of Amazon and it was ok but my phone kept moving which was very off putting. The other problem I found with it was although I was initially quite impressed with the head tracking I never felt like I was actually in the game so to speak, and was more like having a big screen close up. It gave me enough curiosity to find a second hand oculus rift dk2 so I could try it properly and the 2 experiences aren't really comparable. Obviously we are talking about at device that costs a few quid and works with a smartphone you probably already have and a device that cost a few hundred quid and requires a decent PC which you may or may not have, so you wouldn't expect them to be comparable really.

I get your question though, and the cheap version could still be fun but you will never get anywhere near a true VR experience with it so it really depends on how much interest for VR you have. I would suggest if you want to buy a cheap one to try it out have a good read at reviews first and make sure it has good reviews from people who are using the same smartphone you intend to use. If anything like me you will buy a cheap headset and bin it after a day and go for the real thing:D

3. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,968
    Hi BhPu, just buy one. The headset is the price of a West End cinema ticket. There are a plethora of apps on Google Play Store to enjoy and if you find yourself getting bored of it quickly, then its just a couple of tenners spent on a VR outing!

How much you enjoy the headset will depend on what phone you have and which headset you buy of which there are HUNDREDS to choose from, each with their pros and cons and preferences to whether you want a small or large FOV, comfort, etc.

To get the most out of the Google Cardboard style headsets, its best to have a phone with at least a 1440p display. 1080p is the absolute minimum. This is important as the lines between pixels are noticeable in VR as everything is magnified. These lines are refered to as screen door effect (SDE). So higher the resolution or more importantly, the higher the pixel density (PPI), the less SDE, your VR experience suffers.

Watching movies and having a cinematic experience is my focus and having gone through 3 different headsets, I found my almost perfect solution in a model called VR Fiit, combined with upgrading to the only 4k display phone in the world, a Sony Experia Z5 Premium and an Android VR app called Cmoar Virtual Cinema. So In terms of experiencing movies in a virtual world, I believe this solution betters the more expensive Occulus Rift and HTC Vive, largely due to the 4k 803ppi Sony phone. BUT that's in terms of movie watching. In terms of gaming, the Occulus and Rift are expensive for good reason as they have electronics built in for superior motion sensory, low latency, high FPS, andf optimised lenses, all key for VR gaming. Having said that, there is a remote solution to play PC games through your headset where the mouse movement is mapped to the phones gryro sensors...I am yet to test this feature out but sounds good, however, need the fastest wireless to get decent latency...so I just upgraded my Virgin fibre broadband to a super hub 3.0 which provides highest wireless speeds, will get my new router on Wednesday.

In the meantime, I have enjoyed a couple of nice VR games such as one involving going through as many loops as you can while hurtling through an asteroid belt. That's the sort of typical gaming application at the moment. For gaming, its important to have a bluetooth controller (if the headset does not have a Google Cardboard compatible magnetic button). There are a lot of 360 degree videos to enjoy and

But I am still always seeking even better solutions for movie watching as even though as I am only in the early days of discovery of this VR malarky ;)

If you are interested in my experience so far on the movie watching endeavour, then you might like to read my progressive posts on this thread, I also talk about ripping blu rays (I use DVDFab but there are lots of software that do the job, some for free):

Watching Blu Ray movies on VR Headsets - your thoughts

All the above is my personal take. I am absolutely amazed with what can be achieved with such cheap VR headsets which in truth are just containers with a couple of magnifying lens, the real heart of VR lies in the phone itself and so its VR performance depends on the phone's display, CPU and motion sensors.

Oh and I wrote a review listing all the pros and cons of the headset I currently enjoy on Amazon here. You dont have to go for this one but my pros and cons might give you a guidance to your choice (if you do buy one):

Amazon.co.uk:Customer Reviews: Pasonomi® 3D VR Glasses, Virtual Reality Headset for 4~6 inch Mobie Phones for 3D Movies, Games, with adjustable focal/pupil distance (2016 New Version)

Oh there is also the Gear VR for only later samsung phones which is kind of the same but costs just over a hundred pounds due to having extra motion sensors and lower latency electronics.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  4. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,119
    ordered one of them from amazon u linked to, are they actually ok for basic VR? any good stuff on the store? Cheers.
    never tried any VR and cant wait for CV1 but thought would give this a go for so cheap, Ive got a HTC M8.

5. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,968
    Sorry I missed your post, yes absolutely OK for basic Vr and thensome :) but you will experience more SDE with you HTC M8 which is a 1080p. You probably discovered or experienced it all by now, though. sorry again!

6. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,119
    Yeah it's decent, and no sde isn't too bad cant really see pixels too much at all (or less than expected anyway). The Cmoar VR cinema app is very nice but i then see how a higher res screen is needed. Was pleasantly surprised about cheap vr.
    How much more "in the game" do you feel on the rift or vive tho?