New to Virgin Tivo, I have some issues ....

Vogon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I had Virgin install a couple of weeks ago.
3 things I have noted, and hope someone can help with:

1. Selecting 1080p output - TV says format not supported (Sony 50W829), but I know it does as BD player and XB one happily display in 1080p.

2. Lip sync issues on audio (through TV), I noticed it soon after the installers left, It appears to be improved setting the audio output on the TiVo box to PCM rather than DD, but is still apparent quite often.

3. Picture quality on HD recordings seems to show some mpeg artefacts that don't show when watching on "live" TV.

Can anyone help with confiming if they do or don't get these issues and any possible fixes please ?

THere's no 1080p output setting as such and it is an option set aside for when or if 1080p content becomes available. Try setting the TiVo's output to 1080i, leaving the 1080p option unchecked. This may have something to do with the non standardised frame rate associated with the 1080p setting? Not all TVs support this. Nothing is upscaled to 1080p by the box and nothing is currently broadcast using 1080p. The UK standard for HD broadcasts is 1080i. There is a 1080p option, but your box is outputting 1080i even if you select the 1080p option.

There has recently been issues in relation to lip sync in relation to ITV HD and Virgin are investigating the problem. The issue is only apparent while the TiVo is set to output Dolby Digital. Virgin suggest setting the box to PCM until they've a long term fix for the issue. Other than this, lip sync issues are more likely to be caused by the video processing carried out by the TV than issues with the device the signal is derived from. If it is an issue with the signal then it is usually down to the broadcaster and their broadcasrt rather than the box or Virgin.

Artefacts could be an indication that you signal strength needs adjusting? You'd need to contact Virgin and have them send someone out to you to make these adjustments. Also ensure that all the feed connections are secure.

The issues you are experiencing are not experience by everyone and are not what is regarded as being either acceptable or the norm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
Lip sync is still out with pcm at times, just a tiny bit, I have had that set sice day one as I soon discovered the DD was way off.
If the live feed is ok, I would not have thought the signal strength would be he cause of artefacts on recordings ?... they are slight but certainly present.

The artefacts may be recorded i.e, the signal was poor during the period over which the content in question was recorded? Whether it is the signal strength or indeed a hardware fault, you need to contact Virgin in order for thenm to rectify the issue.

Is it a 1tb or a 500gb, Sammy or Cisco, new or refurbed, do you have brass colour connectors on the catv or silver, do you have a single feed isolator or a dual, if single is it in the middle or to the left of it?
Is it only on HD channels or SD as well?

500gb Samsung new.
Silver connectors, one lead from wall box to splitter for S hub/ Tivo feed in middle.
Actually now I think about it, live was artefacting when I watched it so it wasn't just the recording, sorry my bad. Having watched more recordings from BT sport and Fox HD, all was well, I presume maybe the BBC were compressing the broadcast too much ?

Which reading in the diagnostics is(are) the important one(s) for signal strength, quality etc. ?

BTW anyway to get it to auto switch HDMI to TV /power up TV ?
Sky box did that, as does Xbox and BD player, presumed the Tivo would too, but cant see a setting ....

Artefacts are generally an indication that the signal strength is either too low or too high. The compression being applied by the BBC wouldn't result in artefacts. The compression being used by the BBC is well within acceptable broadcast levels and shouldn't result in artefacts. Other causes can be attributed to poor feed connections, either those within your home or a faulty connector within the box out on the street. Just because it is apparent more in relation to one channel than another isn't necessarily a indication that all the channels are not being affected. It may simply be that you've not noticed the issue in conjunction with other channels and the issue may vary throughout the day?

Call Virgin Media. No idea as to what the optimum levels are or should be, but why does it matter if you need Virgin to come out and address the issue you are having? They don't charge you for a call out so use them to rectify the issue.

Last edited:
In diagnostics Return Power should not be more than 51 dbmv and SNR should be above 37db.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom