1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to video editing- need help connecting to PC

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by timp1978, Jul 28, 2005.

1. timp1978

timp1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a JVC GR-DX67 EK and have decided it is time to put my home movies onto DVD. I did a little research (not enough though!) and bought myself magix movie editor pro 2005 and a firewire card.

So far i have been unable to connect my camcorder to the firewire and the instruction booklet with the camcorder says it connects via USB only, I need HELP.

can my camcorder be connected to my firewire?
    will i need to purchase any extra cables?
    do i need any adaptions

Any help will be most appreciated as i haven't got a clue

2. Edward Catflap

Edward Catflap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    The CD that 'would/should' have come with the camcorder is only required for USB connection. USB can not be used for full quality video transfer, it is only for transfer of still images and possibly webcam type use.
    If the firewire card is installed correctly then all you need to do is plug the cam to PC with the cable that should have come with the firewire card. Put the cam in VCR/playback mode and then start your editing software. The software should auto detect the cam and you can then start to capture your video.

Firewire is also known as iLink, ieee1394 or DV port. Look for any of these on the camcorder if not sure where the firewire port is.

What software are you useing to capture & edit with?
    What version of Windows have you got? It must be Windows 98SE or later for firewire to work.

Once connected your only problem will be wheather you have enough disc space! Digital video will eat up the space at approx 1Gb for every 4 minutes captured. That's about 14Gb per hour.

Mark.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    OK, I've just looked at the manual, as linked to by Edward Catflap, and it shows where the firewire port (DV in/out) is on page 38.

Mark.