New to "Three" and I'm impressed so far!

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
This isn't about network coverage - the vagaries of that are what they are. I was precipitated into moving from T-Mobile by too many instances of a good, strong signal but no responses (guess - network overloaded/busy); by being overcharged on my bill more than once (fixed easily enough after a call, but still a nuisance); and by their exorbitant rates for anyone daring to want 4g or to travel.

So I joined three in-store on Wednesday as a brand new customer on their cheapest SIM only tariff - £7 per month for 0.5gig, 200 minutes, unlimited text (which will likely be enough; and, if not, I can upgrade to a £10pm tariff and bigger allowances without penalty).

An hour or so later, I returned to the store with Mrs LV426 to do the same with her. I asked (as you do) whether there would be any concession for having two accounts together, and they offered 2000 free 3 to 3 minutes each as long as I paid both bills from the same DD. Fine. Nice bonus.

When it came to it, because I had done all this as two separate events, the store was (they claimed) only within their authority to add the 2000 free 3-3 minutes onto the new account (Mrs LV426). If I wanted the same I'd have to call customer service.

And so, just now, I did exactly that.

Getting through was painless.
The operator was evidently from overseas although in this case, was quite intelligible and was very polite.
She wasn't within her authority to do what I was asking and so I was transferred to a "Complaints" handler.
I did not have to wait long. He, too, was evidently from overseas but was quite intelligible. Only loud voices in the background made it a shade interesting at times.
He had already been told the tale and I didn't have to repeat myself. He stressed that they were fully aware this was not a complaint, but that his was the only area with the necessary authority to give away such things, and that he would attend to it immediately.
But wait.........would I prefer, instead, to have 2000 free landline minutes instead? After all, if I need to talk at length to Mrs LV426, she can always call me back out of her free 2000. And, yes, my 2000 landline minutes WILL be good for use when roaming abroad in one of their selected countries.

Now that is what I call good service - and a good deal. I have 200 minutes, 0.5gig data (incl. 4g where available), 2000 landline minutes, unlimited text, free roaming within these allowances, free calls to "freephone" numbers and inexpensive rates to other 08s. And all for £7 pm. Oh .. and no annual RPI rises either.

Bought me an iPhone 6 and got the very same 7 quid contract, great eh?

The free 2000 mins thing between 3 phones is standard on their tariffs.

Don't forget feel at home, so if you go away to one of the countries on the scheme you can call home and use your included internet for no extra.

Three get a bad wrap but I left them when I moved to a blackspot for coverage and came back when I moved again, they've improved a lot over the years but a lot of people got stung and won't forgive them, but will accept what I'd say is an inferior more expensive network but it's always been that way so its alright

Feel at home was a big factor in the choice. I used a "3" PAYG SIM on a recent USA trip as a test, and whilst connections weren't always good first attempt, I was happily making and receiving calls from back home at no extra cost. With the added advantage (over a regular USA network SIM) that they use both TMobile and AT&T masts so best of both for coverage. My free 2000 landline minutes will mean that on my next trip in a few weeks, Mrs LV426 will be able to speak to her mother at length without much risk of it costing. Brilliant, really. The sooner the other rip-off merchants wake up to roaming as a killer feature, the better.

Correct. That was a promotional offer which ended just recently.

I just got a new contract with them a few weeks ago and it had free 3-3 calls. Same with a business SIM tariff too.

I just got a new contract with them a few weeks ago and it had free 3-3 calls. Same with a business SIM tariff too.

What price plan is it? None of the new consumer plans do (I haven't seen the business plans, but they are immaterial to any normal customer), so either the salesman has given you an add-on or there is a misunderstanding on your part.

For example the current 600 min handset contract:

image.jpg

I went into a Three store and got a SIM only deal which has something like 3000 3-to-3 calls. Bloke said it was standard so if it isn't then looks like he gave me a free add-on, maybe because I have a few sims from them.

I went into a Three store and got a SIM only deal which has something like 3000 3-to-3 calls. Bloke said it was standard so if it isn't then looks like he gave me a free add-on, maybe because I have a few sims from them.

3-3 minutes allowances are definitely not included as a standard part of the current sim only plans, it's one reason why the withdrawal of the One Plan sim only plan is causing such a furore with customers.

I would keep an eye on your bills for a while to make sure a sneaky add-on hasn't been added (just in case a free one wasn't added).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom