1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to this.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hamtaro, Jul 30, 2003.

1. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a modest system , speakerwise, amp wise.. thing is i have been using a 33inch toshiba as my screen. i may shortley be able to get a projector and screen to finish my home cinema set up, do i definetly have to have the projector on the ceiling? this will be a bit of a chew on, i have the screen position sorted[ just replace it into the area the tv was. any tips?

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Floor mounting a projector is fine in fact it has many advantages. Often you get a brighter picture. Plan on putting it under a coffee table and you hardly notice it's there.
    CRT's have a trow of about 1.2 to 1.4 times the screen width to the front of the projector then about another 30 -40 inches of projector. depending on your size of room the coffee table could go in front of you or between the seats.
    I've put projectors into quite small rooms and even a 12ft long room can just about cope with an 8ft wide image (depending on projector)
    Aim to set about 1.5 to 2 time the screen width away and you will get the best picture in the house.
    Hope that helps

3. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    i have just finished setting up my Barco 801s. I bought a coffee table from ikea:
    http://www.ikea.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...=7&langId=-20&catalogId=10101&productId=11135
    you will notice that it has a shelf. rather than assemble it as shown, i have simply placed the shelf on the floor and then spiked the projector to the wood. the projector itself moves around (despite all its weight) quite easily on the wood (especially when angled up to meet the wall mounted 7ft wide 16:9 screen). so i chose to spike it to the wood to keep it in place. the wood against the carpet is really hard to move so it pretty much stays put.
    i think i have about 9 to 10ft from the front of the PJ to the screen which gives me a 7ft image. and a marvellous one at that!

Chris

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Bear in mind (this is in a CRT forum) that a 3 tube CRT projctor has to be firmly fixed into position, or easily/readily replaced into EXACTLY the same position. Move it, and the alignment of the three images on the screen will fail, requiring the convergence to be set up again. The same is not true of single-lens (eg DLP, D-ILA, LCD) projectors.

5. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    btw, just to make clear my setup is not ideal. one reason is that i am in a rented house and cannot ceiling mount or damage anything (i have to fix it when i leave!). also, a ceiling install isnt g/f friendly for a lot of people, nor is it easy. nigel is bang on though, move it 1mm and you'll be reconverging - hence the spikes (again not a perfect solution but my living room will never be a dedicated cinema room). for me, its damage limitation (literally) and making the best of the given circumstances. even in a room that is far from perfect, the image my 801 produces is absolutely stunning!

Chris