1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to this!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bob mushroom, Dec 26, 2003.

1. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I am looking to buy a dvd recorder similar to chilpillphil thread!

My main reason for this is to hook my Digital Camcorder up to it and archive onto DVD allowing primarily to playback on my Sony DAVS500.

I also wish to use it to record films via sky+ from its hard drive - I understand this is possible buy buying a lead?!

I would also like to be able to archive films I currently own on DVD (all originals).

At this moment in time I am contemplating the Sony RDR-GX3 (as it matches my tv + main dvd player) and I have a budget of £350.

I guess I am asking will this player do what I want well?
    Is there a cheaper option that will do the job better?
    Is there anything else you think I need to know that perhaps I don't know now?

Thank You for your time

2. Orac

Orac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no way to extract recordings from Sky+ digitally, even by taking the hard drive out and sticking it in a PC. The data is stored on the hard drive in encrypted form. A decent RGB or S-Video analogue out is the only option, but still produces decent results.

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you talking about sky+ ppv films, if not you do not need a lead. If you are talking about sky movies you must have a subscription to the channel
    If you can stretch your budget to a dvdr with a hdd the tosh XS30 is excellent and can be yours for £489

I don't know much about the Sony but an E50 would do the job and would cost around £250 multiregion

however, if you want to 'back-up' your discs I would suggest the PC route. You can buy a dvd drive very cheaply now and it will make a copy of an orginal disc very quickly keeping all the menus dd5.1 etc.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I don't think the GX3 has firewire connection for camcorders but the more GX7 does.