New to this - Which one for me ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnkes, Mar 7, 2005.

1. johnkes

johnkes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read many of the threads but still don't know what DVD Recorder to buy.

I already have:-
    Sony Trinitron Digital TV KD-28DX51U with 2 scarts (1 RGB & 1 S-Video), & 2 RF out (analogue & digital), & 1 other RF out, & PCMCIA socket (?), & 1 AV3 S-Video input, & AV3 Video/Audio inputs, + built in Freeview.
    Sharp VC-MH85HM VCR with 2 scarts (L1 son/video & L2 decoder/canal plus), & 2 audio out (R/D, L/G, & video/audio in (phono).
    Sony DVP-NS355 DVD player (+RW,+R,-RW,-R,JPEG,MP3CD-R,CD-RW,VCD,DVDRW in VR) with 1 scart (RGB), 1 component video out (phono), 1 S-video out, plus other Line Out jacks,Digital Out jack, Digital Out Optical jack.
    Sony Digital DCR-TRV130E Video Camera

What I want to do:-
    1) to record various Freeview digital channels whilst I'm not at home
    2) to record channels while I'm watching another channel on TV
    3) to have discs I've recorded compatible with other players
    4) time shift wanted
    5) camcorder to VHS & to DVD
    6) lots archiving VHS to DVD

Question time:-
    a) I presume I need another Freeview to do 1), & have looked seriously at buying Sony DVDRGX500 (with built in Freeview); would this suit my purpose for the above ?
    b) Presumably a DVDR with built in Freeview would in any case be better & simpler to use & the best option ?
    c) With the Sony models being discontinued, should I wait for later on this year when new models are on sale ?
    d) Should I wait anyway as there is presently very little choice with built in Freeview ?
    e) I have read of twin tuners ! Is this something I should look for/need ?

Excellent forum; thanking you all in anticipation.

2. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Using the RF output of your TV and/or whichever scart connection is also an output you could in theory record using your TV's digital tuner, but the TV will probably have to be on and
    you can only record analogue when you're watching digital or the digital channel you're watching - so yes you really need some kind of alternative freeview tuner.

The only freeview dvd recorder at the moment is the Sony RDR-500, but has no DV in for your camcorder or hard drive and limited editing capabilities, so you need more than one bit of kit. As a minimum you'll need (1) a freeview box dedicated for recording on and (2) a DVD recorder with DV in.

As far as (2) is concerned most people seem to recommend the Panasonic E65/E95, Pioneer DVR-320/520 or Toshiba DR-3/RDR-X32 (the first in each case is the non-hard drive model and the second with a hard drive)

None are perfect:
    Pansonics have the best connections and arguably the best PQ, but RAM is not very compatible so only -R is suitable for sharing discs
    Pioneers have the poorest connections but record in (more compatible) -R & -RW and are probably the easiest to use
    Toshibas use -RW, -R as well as RAM, the consensus seems to indicate their PQ is better than Pioneers but are complicated to use and are not as well connected as the Panasonics.

Another option is a freeview single or twin tuner PVR with a DVD recorder.

You really need to rate your requirements to determine the best recorder for your particular circumstances.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Unless it's really urgent, don't be in too much of a hurry - DVD recorders (with or without HDD) should be around later in the year.
    At the moment it's either the Sony without HDD or a Freeview tuner box if you want an all-digital set-up.
    It's worth waiting in order to avoid the hassle of connections and two timers.

4. johnkes

johnkes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks folks !
    So nobody yet makes what I really want, but the Sony RDR-500 comes close; the 'DV in' I can manage without & put the camcorder in via the TV AV3 I guess, fine if quality doesn't deteriorate.
    I might wait & see what comes out this year. . . . . . . . . .

What, in laymans terms, are the main pro's & con's for buying either with or without HDD, considering the set up & use that I want ?

5. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You could use the S-video connection at the front of the recorder for your camcorder.

Advantages of HDD: easier to edit, can record hours & hours when you're away and without having to always find blank discs.

Cons: errrrrrrrr, price I guess ........ expect to pay between £120 & £200 more for a HDD machine